Little TeeDub...278 lbs. of Rompin', Stompin' Hell!
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Little TeeDub...278 lbs. of Rompin', Stompin' Hell!

Little TeeDub...278 lbs. of Rompin', Stompin' Hell!

I thought I'd start a new thread on this as the mods - and the fun - will go on for quite a while!

This little guy followed me home from Oklahoma recently, I think he's a keeper!

A 2014 Yamaha TW 200 (non-current model).

Let the games begin!

Why this odd little duck, you ask?
    First off...I like them!

Second, Betty & are travelling more now with our camper trailer and need a capable lightweight for that. The big bike takes up too much room in the truck bed, it's heavy and hard to load/unload by myself and we would use a little "camp bike" much more. If I ever need the BMW on a camping trip, I'll just bite the bullet & load 'er up.

Third, you birds talked me into it!

The little guy will ride on the back of the trailer, using something like this...properly designed & engineered with weight, trailer balance, etc. in mind. He only weighs 278 lbs. wet...or so Mr. Yamaha-San says.

The TW200 should be perfect for running around the campgrounds, state parks & bike rallies, riding into town for dinner or supplies (beer & ice!), up the mountain & exploring dirt roads & mild 2-track, all 2-up. Or a little more adventurous 1-up.

I know several guys who have them and they all highly recommend them, if used as the "right tool for the right job". Our own jb44 has had one for years. He loves it and even chases more serious dirt bikes around.
    Top speed 70MPH..."or less" as jb44 informs me!

MSRP was $4,590, plus all the usual BS...shipping, set-up, doc fees, etc. These run $300 on this model, or $4,890 total!
    I paid $3,896, out the door, no add-ons.
    In otherwords, a cool ~$1,000 off a sweet bike.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Congrats on the purchase! I really like the 2014 color scheme, you don't see as many blue TWs. This bike will suit your mission perfectly. 70mph is a bit of a stretch though, mine seems to top out about 63-65 on level ground, though maybe it would go a bit faster if a kept it pinned. 40-45mph is the happy spot, perfect for what you want to use the bike for. Enjoy it!!
    SanDue and TWilight like this.
    -Travis
    1989 TW200 project. 1991 TW(SOLD)
    2018 Beta 300RR, 2017 FZ-07, 86 BW80 (and more)
    Jeep Wrangler- moto recovery vehicle

Ain't he cute?

Ahem...

No traction control, stability control, 4-mode power selector, wheelie controller, ABS, hot water tank or GPS.
    Well, actually it does.
    It's called throttle, brakes, clutch & control.
    And the almost total lack of power!

Some mods & farkles on the list:
    Tail tidy
    Aluminum bars
    Tail rack
    Low windscreen
    Heated grips
    Hand guards
    Wire for trickle charger
    Decent tool kit
    Seat upgrade with better foam, cover and larger seating area
    Fuel filter
    Remove all stickers & grapics, except tank

Initial ride impressions:
    Light, quick, precise steering. Almost like a trials bike.
    Slow. Well, I knew that going in. But that's OK. His job description does not include "fast" or "quick"!
    Seat is a little hard & narrow. That's OK, a more comfortable, roomier seat mod is in the works.
    Brakes suck. But I made a mistake and rode the bike without first wiping down the rotor & brake drum with acetone to remove any protectants or "film". Pads & shoes feel a little glazed, easy fix. Rear brake also needed adjusting. Stainless steel front brake line and probably some softer compound pads & shoes should help a lot.
    The fun factor is high, as expected.
    It's easy on/easy off for Betty due to low seat & overall height. Taller bikes are a problem for her. I think she's going to really enjoy this bike on camping trips.
    Very satisfied at this point, this bike is right for the 'job' and a good purchase.

And I still have the R1150R for faster, longer rides!

Needs work:
    Clutch lever action feels a little dry. Easy fix.
    Bike doesn't want to idle down with low/no throttle. Probably a carb cable slightly binding. Maybe a sticky float? Easy fixes.

I haven't stripped the bike down yet to check for loose fasteners, better routing paths for cables, hoses, wiring, etc. This is a great way to learn a new bike, fix anything wrong and get ideas for improvement mods.

That's half the fun with a new bike!

More to follow!
    Last edited by Darth; 05-22-2015 at 12:13 PM.
    Dryden-Tdub, TWilight and mudbug like this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Man, I just love it when you have a new bike (blank canvass, I tell my wife)...

And this stuff starts arriving on the porch:

Then you do this:

To get to this:

And the FUN begins!

First thing was to go over the bike, stem to stern...looking for loose fasteners, crimped, kinked, tight or misrouted control cables & wiring. Fix as required. Overall, there was very little to do here.

The clutch cable had been stiff and a little graunchy. Fix was a total lube of the wire & whole assembly, straightening out a little "bend" in a bracket to to feed the cable straighter to the release lever, and a good adjustment on inner cable slack. Better than it was but still too stiff and a bit rough. I finally decided most of the problem was just a tight and maybe dry seal where the control shaft goes into the clutch cavity. It seems to be loosening up with miles so I've written it off as a prep & break-in issue.

Carb tuning. I removed the Nanny-State mandated plug blocking access to the pilot screw. I adjusted it to jb44's recommended 2 1/2 turns out from fully seated, as a starting place. The factory setting was 1 1/8 turns out...no wonder it wouldn't idle down and felt sluggish. 2 1/2 feels about right, but still a little flat. Think I'll go out another 1/8 and see how it feels. Then play with main jet. Anybody know a source for an extended pilot screw for these? I'd like to avoid the pita required just to get to the adjuster.

Front & rear brakes were very weak and had no "bite" at all. I cleaned the front rotor with acetone and adjusted front & rear with a tighter "take up". Next up is braided stainless steel hoses, HH pads front, not sure about rear. Either EBC carbon or HH.

Adjusted for tighter "take up" on throttle cables. I like just the slightest slack-gap to allow free cable action, lock to lock. Improves throttle action, easier to be smooth.
    TWilight and mudbug like this.
    - Hunter S. Thompson

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Stainless Steel Fasteners

I just love stainless steel fasteners on bikes! Every bike I've had since 1980 except for a righteous restoration yellow Norton and a WWII BSA M-20 warbike have been so converted.
    Truthfully, it's mainly 'cause I like the way it looks and it's a great way to gain a little bright eye appeal without chrome & flashy paint. The practical side is they will not rust or corrode, virtually forever. You can bead blast them to look like OE cad or zinc, polish them from just a little to bumper-chrome shiney, burnish them with steel wool and/or fine sandpaper. Stick a bolt in your drill press or electric drill and shine away the easy way! The fasteners I got for this bike had been "tumbled" rather than polished and they have a pleasing, bright satin or patina look. The grouped & labled kit cost me less than $30.00 for the engine & both covers, and a number of others. I added some I already had and the bike is now ~98% done, save special proprietary fasteners not available in SS.

SS & OE

Engine OE

Engine SS

Bar clamp bolts

Professional men's underwear model "selfie" of the CRG "Lanesplitter" model bar end mirrors. Couldn't stand the OE Alien Micky Mouse models.
    This is the same set I've had on 4 bikes now, great quality kit. Stainless!
    Fred, mudbug, TWilight and 1 others like this.
    - Hunter S. Thompson

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

"Seat Concepts" seat kit.

First...these guys are just great to do business with, very accomodating. Second...the design, construction, materials, workmanship & price are all tops. And looks great! Very pleased with his purchase & transaction. What they make & sell is just the special foam and cover, standard or custom...you re-use your OE seat pan. You just remove the OE one and staple the new one in place, or they will do it for you. I had mine done locally by a convertible top place.
    They make these for a number of bikes.

My new baby. Custom vinyl on seat & sides, matching blue stitching. Love it. About $170.00. Less for standard material & color. And looks great! Very comfy, no sore butt at all on recent 150 mile ride. It's a little wider (except between the legs) and shaped more butt-like. Betty is really going to appreciate this!

Tail Tidy
    From this ugly mess:

To this tidy little LED number...plug & play:

Windscreen.
    I love open bikes and dislike fairings & windshields, but this cool little guy is perfect. You look over it of course but it smooths the turbulance to nil. You still feel the wind (good) but NO blasting, whipping or messin' with ya! These are made by a TW200 riding fireman and sell for about $65, a real bargain. Mounting is very quick & easy and solid as OE mini-fairing. No drilling or cutting, quick mount & detach.

Side reflectors
    The DOT mandated side reflectors on bikes are too big & too ugly.
    I replace mine with little 1" glass reflectors on all bikes. Don't work as well as DOT but are better than no reflectors and look kinda cool.
    TWilight, Dryden-Tdub and Fred like this.
    - Hunter S. Thompson

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Dave, here is a link for an extended air/fuel mixture screw.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-cl...ion-%2430.html
    TWilight likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

So...how DO you carry anything on that skinny little mule?

It starts here.
    This light tail rack will carry most of what we need...remember, this bike is a camper support vehicle (CSV!) for local running around and doesn't need to carry very much, very often.

I tried this old tank bag, but no...

Not good pix, but this semi-ridged clam shell bag will work fine. I got it as a free sample years ago and it often rides as a rear seat bag on the R1150R. The strap & hook mounting sytem works equally well on both bikes. And it looks pretty good.

Now for a yuk...but it is for real. When we know we will just have to carry more stuff.
    An oversize, expandable "milk crate". Hillbilly luggage!
    Fully open:

Collapsed for hi-speed runs at Bonneville!:

Note all OE graphics (except tank) are gone. My theory is, if something can be peeled off a motorcycle...it should be! YRMV...

A mounting system is now being invented but seriously, I doubt if this gets much use.
    It's just too embarrassing!

Shop Cat Otis and a neighborhood buddy.

Oh, and a message from my sweet little wife (actually for me!)
    Old age must be making her mean...she didn't used to do stuff like this!
    Couldn't be anything I've said or done...
    Last edited by Darth; 05-22-2015 at 01:08 PM.
    - Hunter S. Thompson

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

I have a ~2 acre dry pond next to my place (built by the CCC) and I'm scratching out a little "scrambles track" there (HA!) to play with TeeDub and get my dirt legs back a bit.
    This little bike is FUN!

Here's a recent pic.

Those sharp of eye may notice the front brake lever is way out of alignment with the clutch lever. No, I don't have a crooked arm.
    I had just been doing a few laps when I smacked the brake lever hard on one of those small trees.
    Guess what happened?
    I fell down quick!
    I also managed to get trapped under the bike on the downhill side. Face down. And wrapped around a sapling.
    Fortunately my BIL was there watching...he used to be my Hare Scrambles racing partner.
    After he stopped laughing (long & hard) he helped me & TeeDub up. No damage done, other than my pride!
    Think I need some more practice?

Oh, anyone know the significance on the "46" on the side cover?
    Dryden-Tdub, TWilight and mudbug like this.
    - Hunter S. Thompson

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Outstanding improvements. Put a set of Bark Busters on and then you can build your scrambler track with tight turns tucked in tight against trees.
    Those OEM reflectors on the forks can be relocated without their dorky bracket flush against cowling using same location as your glass button for DOT compliance. You are really heading in right direction for your intended use. Does the blond ride two up with you? I ask because the rack has sharper edges than I like for comfort and safety.
    TWilight and mudbug like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links