TW204 front tire and rear stock tire
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: TW204 front tire and rear stock tire

TW204 front tire and rear stock tire

The TW204 is a more street type tread, yes? Any issue running these together?

My front tire just failed state inspection and I had planned on going to a more street oriented tire anyways. But the rear has plenty of tread left so should last a wheel longer.

Issues running a more street type up front and knobby on the rear?

Also, I know there are other brands and am reading the posts, so no need to repost all that info here.

THX

Jay
    2010, Happy Trails rack & side boxes, Ricochet skid plate, Clarke tank, Stearns seat cover, rejetted, Shinko 244 front tire.

New England Denizens of Doom # TW200

Try to understand things. Be nice to each other.

Here is an idea: 1) Replace the front with the "street" tire. 2) Ride TW. How does it feel? 3) Replace rear tire if necessary.

IMO I don't see why the tread on the rear would affect the handling of the front. However, you'll never know until ya try it.

THX!! Kind of what I planned. Will do and report back.
    2010, Happy Trails rack & side boxes, Ricochet skid plate, Clarke tank, Stearns seat cover, rejetted, Shinko 244 front tire.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

D'oh! TW203 is front, right? 204 is rear. Need to order the correct one!

I recently tried a knobbly on the rear, and the street tire on the front - the two tires "bite" the road very differently.

I now have two knobblies on the bike - and a street tire with less than 5 miles on it for sale ...........
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Different how? Was the knobby "slippy" on the road?

My plan is 90% road, and maybe a fire road or dirt road but no single track or technical stuff. You prob. won't see me at Moab any time soon!

Quite the opposite – the knobbly rear stuck like glue, whereas the road front tended “drift”

Now, this would have been fine if I’d had a road tire on the back as well – but as it was, the different characteristics of each type of tire ended up “fighting” each other.

It wasn’t a situation of my making to begin with, and like you, I figured I’d suck it and see as it was already on there – big mistake ………..

You can find the thread here https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...dles-like.html

And yes – it really did handle like a ……………
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Thanx Purple. I will remember your recommendation.

I never have ridden a TW with "street" tires. I don't want to spend the $ to see how it feels. Plus, getting someone to mount and balance new tires just for a test is a MAJOR hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    I recently tried a knobbly on the rear, and the street tire on the front - the two tires "bite" the road very differently.

I now have two knobblies on the bike - and a street tire with less than 5 miles on it for sale ...........
    I wonder if you just hadn't scuffed it in yet? Mold release will make a new tire pretty slippery for about 50 or so miles. Knobbies seem to scuff in faster. I assume due to less surface area in contact with road. A little off road also seems to break them in quickly. With the limited weight and power of the TW i don't really feel much "knobby Crawl" in corners. They do "howl" nicely at higher speeds. With all that said I lost a tire on my GS in Twin falls Idaho and couldn't find a matching duel spot tire. Ended up putting a Battleax street tire on the back. Got me home but handled terrible. Felt like my frame was winding up and releasing over and over again on every corner.
    So I would buy something that matches.

What size am I looking for for the front? I know 130/80-18 but how does that equate to an inch measurement? Is 5.10-18 closest?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links