DIY TW200 Rear Rack for 10 bucks.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: DIY TW200 Rear Rack for 10 bucks.

DIY TW200 Rear Rack for 10 bucks.

Hi everyone, here is a video of a Rear Rack I built for my TW200. Very light and strong, a great option for a guy that has some garage skills and a little time. It was a Fun project for me and ended with a very useful mod.

1989 TW200
    1998 Diesel Mercedes
    1995 Diesel Suburban
    2005 John Deere BUCK ATV
    1996 Polaris XLT Touring
    1978 Dodge 360ci Midas 24' Motorhome
    16' BELL KEVLAR MAGIC
    17 BELL ROYALEX NORTHWIND
    14' Lund with a 1968 9.9hp & 1957 3hp Johnsons

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Well done, both rack and video!

Very nicely done video with an excellant message. Rack is pretty impressive too! After seeing and fixing a few broken racks and mounts for the TW I think a good shade-tree project would be to reinforce the TW's subframe's cross bar and sub-frame. to main frame connection. These break as often as elements of a CycleRack proper.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Very nicely done video with an excellant message. Rack is pretty impressive too! After seeing and fixing a few broken racks and mounts for the TW I think a good shade-tree project would be to reinforce the TW's subframe's cross bar and sub-frame. to main frame connection. These break as often as elements of a CycleRack proper.
    Thanks and I have to say that when I was doing the rack project, I thought about welding some bar under the seat as long as I was in there. It certainly would be easy enough and there is plenty of room to do so. The bike is kinda "new" to me so I didn't bother, just thought I would ride it to see what happens first. There does seem to be room to stiffen things up back there though and without a lot of effort.
    1989 TW200
    1998 Diesel Mercedes
    1995 Diesel Suburban
    2005 John Deere BUCK ATV
    1996 Polaris XLT Touring
    16' BELL KEVLAR MAGIC

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Excellent video love the point of the "eyeballing skills". I feel a father son talk coming on w my 5 yo.
    Fred likes this.

Ok, i just cant, not comment on this one. 1- excellent video 2-excellent points while in 'Dad'-mode 3- i like guys doing for themselves (for everybody else, theres me)

now for the bad, (not that i have any say, i just 'call em as i see em)
    1- materials used are on the lightside. I can see it bending. 2- surely theres gotta be someone out there selling a lighter weight alternative to ammo boxes ( i think i know a guy) 3- weld the support into the frame. The tab isnt strong enuff. 4- and this is where i have the biggest issue, wouldn't a ten minute phone call allow for a game of catch with the kids? You can always make more money. Unless ofcourse the kid was helping. I didnt see him in the video.

Hopefully, my comments here are not taken to heart. It is simply my observation, and meant to 'poke the bear' abit. I really enjoyed the whole thing and just making you aware, you've got some limitations.
    As I said, i just couldn't let this one by.
    Best of luck, Tim
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Quote Originally Posted by tinman tim View Post
    Ok, i just cant, not comment on this one. 1- excellent video 2-excellent points while in 'Dad'-mode 3- i like guys doing for themselves (for everybody else, theres me)

now for the bad, (not that i have any say, i just 'call em as i see em)
    1- materials used are on the lightside. I can see it bending. 2- surely theres gotta be someone out there selling a lighter weight alternative to ammo boxes ( i think i know a guy) 3- weld the support into the frame. The tab isnt strong enuff. 4- and this is where i have the biggest issue, wouldn't a ten minute phone call allow for a game of catch with the kids? You can always make more money. Unless ofcourse the kid was helping. I didnt see him in the video.

Hopefully, my comments here are not taken to heart. It is simply my observation, and meant to 'poke the bear' abit. I really enjoyed the whole thing and just making you aware, you've got some limitations.
    As I said, i just couldn't let this one by.
    Best of luck, Tim
    Ugh......I forgot why I stopped visiting forums......now I remember.

I make good money Tim, but haven't made 200 plus dollars an hour since I stopped being Paris Hiltons "toyboy". I don't know how much time you have to work to make 200 bucks plus a 10 minute phone call, but you earned the right to boast you paid full price....AWESOME and much respect.

Lastly I am not worried about it bending and will be mounting the ammo cans.

Hopefully you can take direct answers to your questions, I didn't take them to heart. Looking forward to your posts of you buying stuff.

Thanks!
    1989 TW200
    1998 Diesel Mercedes
    1995 Diesel Suburban
    2005 John Deere BUCK ATV
    1996 Polaris XLT Touring
    16' BELL KEVLAR MAGIC

-Thomas Jefferson

Was not looking to offend, just looking to point out a few things. My apologies, if i did. Having some experience with such matters, i thought i'd chime in. I'll just go back to sitting on the side and watch. If i can be of assistance, feel free to ask. If not, its your bike/mod. I personally like what you've done, and was trying to save you having to repeat
    tcepilot likes this.
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Quote Originally Posted by tinman tim View Post
    Was not looking to offend, just looking to point out a few things. My apologies, if i did. Having some experience with such matters, i thought i'd chime in. I'll just go back to sitting on the side and watch. If i can be of assistance, feel free to ask. If not, its your bike/mod. I personally like what you've done, and was trying to save you having to repeat
    I just answered your comment Tim, it's really a "no win internet forum waste of time situation" unless you are absolutely sure the rack is gonna bend, even though you have not seen the ammo cans mounted. I have a lot of experience breaking things...and I have a lot of experience fixing and making things. I built this to work.... it's strong, light and CHEAP. (Probably not a good vid for someone that is trying to sell the same work to other people for a lot of money....) But very good for the average guy looking to save a few bucks and learn something, which are the type of guys I like to hang around. I made it to work for my needs and what I need to carry and I am confident it will do just that. If 5 years down the road a tab breaks....maybe it will last 10 years...., maybe I have to weld a nut on the end at that point?...but until then..... I spent less then 10 bucks and already got my money out of it.

I will post further vids on my channel and rest assured it will get plenty of testing.
    Last edited by YankeePrepper; 05-29-2015 at 06:32 PM.
    1989 TW200
    1998 Diesel Mercedes
    1995 Diesel Suburban
    2005 John Deere BUCK ATV
    1996 Polaris XLT Touring
    16' BELL KEVLAR MAGIC

-Thomas Jefferson

Sure conduit is a little light, but the stated purpose is for light duty. Thus no criticism. I figure since Yankee Prepper made it he can easily re-make it should for some reason it ever have problems down the road. That is the beauty of having fabrication skills, equipment and incentive, one can build light and maintain as neccesary.
    Dryden-Tdub and YankeePrepper like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links