A Cheaper Alternative
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: A Cheaper Alternative

Question A Cheaper Alternative

I am just wondering, is there a cheaper alternative to the FMF powercore 4?

I just bought an 87 tw for 500 bucks, and i don't feel so good about spending almost as much on an exhaust as i did on the bike itself.

By the way, this is my first street legal bike; as i turned 16 on the 1st very excited to start wrenching on this thing to bring it to it's full potential.
    Fred and TWilight like this.

Most folks say there isn't much difference between aftermarket exhausts and the stock exhaust. I would put my $ towards other things for the bike for now...

Welcome to the forum bro!
    TWilight, GaryL, GTG and 1 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Yeah, you might be right. And Thanks!
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Save your money.
    TWilight likes this.

Follow the classifieds and you will find one. I scored a mint dg for 140 delivered. It sounds cool but I think I lost some top end...
    TWilight likes this.
    1991 TW200

Every time I read these words "Bring out the full Potential" I have to laugh. There is a thread here by Mr. Bracket who went to some great lengths and I am not sure just how much potential he finally realized was. Others have done all sorts of add on parts with relatively little noticed performance improvements. Then there are those who did some fancy carb work, jets, needle shims and even different carburetors and still a few other who have gone the route of making it a 250 with some serious engine machine work. In the end I think most of them still ended up with a TW that was already pretty close to it's full potential.

One member here claims to have the TW to beat all TW's and he dubbed it TW-2 but no one to my knowledge has ever seen it or even heard it run. The basic platform of our mighty TW's does not lend itself to much improvement without dumping a lot of cold hard cash in to it. To coin a phrase by an old cartoon character, Poppeye, "I am what I am and that is all that I am" seems to fit here.

The sooner you accept the fact you are riding a TW 200 the more cash you will have in your pocket for when things brake. If your bike can hit 65 MPH on a flat road then that is about all there is in that tiny motor and most of these upgrades are only capable of netting another mile or two in the top end. The TW is a Mule and a long way from ever being a race horse but try if you must and let us know how you make out.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Well said and truthfully spoken Gary. You can sink a lot of $ in a TW without much improvement. It is what it is, and for what it is, it's near perfect in it's stock form.
    GTG, TWilight and GaryL like this.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Well said and truthfully spoken Gary. You can sink a lot of $ in a TW without much improvement. It is what it is, and for what it is, it's near perfect in it's stock form.
    May I be the first to say, if Yamaha came out with the elusive TW 350 fat tire bike that has fuel injection, 6 speed transmission and much improved suspension there would still be plenty of guys looking to improve them.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Old school hot rodders will never change....ha ha

Those guys are correct! IMHO the best performance change one can do to a TW is a different
    front tire. And that's if your intending to go off road. If you need more performance than your
    TW provides get a different bike. That said, you should however work at ensuring your TW is at
    optimal condition. Instead of a wasting money on a pipe, spend it on maint items like chain and sprockets,oil changes
    valve adjustments etc and learning how to do them. Other mods like racks increase the usefulness as a trail bike too.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links