Close

Like Tree19Likes
  • 11 Post By M C Toyer
  • 5 Post By Turtle Chaser
  • 2 Post By LuvNot
  • 1 Post By cnc200

Thread: Two Bit Grips and Other Cheap Tricks

Two Bit Grips and Other Cheap Tricks

Stock grips caused numb hands, especially the right where I cut off half my thumb, so wrapped with short lengths of standard foam pipe insulation. The 3/4: ID PVC was the perfect size; self stick edges are holding fast.
    7474 grip.jpg

Used the 1/2" ID PVC size on the Cyclerack
    7468 rack.jpg

Harbor Freight welding rod tubes zip tied to underside with plastic snap-hooks to secure caps
    7477 snap.jpg

1-1/2" memory foam car seat cushion from Walmart, held on with 1" nylon straps for now but will be sewing Velcro tabs. The underside is vinyl and does not slip on the stock seat; the top is a breathable mesh.
    7476 seat.jpg

My dogs are not as agile as Georgie and would be coyote lunch afoot. The love the wind in their faces so I put them in a pet carrier with extra large holes. A couple of cleats on the bottom keeps it centered on the Cyclerack and turn-bolts hold it tight.
    7471 Kelly Lucy.jpg

Nice. I love cheap improvements. The welding rod tubes look like TW sized JATO devices.

Quote Originally Posted by M C Toyer View Post

My dogs are not as agile as Georgie and would be coyote lunch afoot. The love the wind in their faces so I put them in a pet carrier with extra large holes. A couple of cleats on the bottom keeps it centered on the Cyclerack and turn-bolts hold it tight.
    7471 Kelly Lucy.jpg
    Looks like a great way to train them to ride like Georgie. In time, go to an open top crate, then a flat slab, etc, little by little. Just don't go nuts and spook them in the beginning......
    Last edited by Werloc; 06-09-2015 at 04:26 AM.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    That foam is a nice quick fix but the only problem is that it doesn't last very long - it doesn't stand up to the UV in the sunlight and it gets dried out and brittle over time. But it's cheap and easily replaced.

I use the same foam, it works great and helps with the stiff knuckles
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Love it. And I love the dog carrier. Might have to work on that for my two buddies.

This is why I love this forum! On my daily 44 mile commute (mostly freeway) I have been fighting numb hands, arms and even shoulders. I've been on the verge of getting new grips, rubber mounting my Acerbis gards, filling my handlebars, or even getting the little cruise assist thingy for the throttle. But I have not the time or energy right now, so when I saw M C Toyers foam on the grips I ran down to the shed and in ten minutes I have foam neatly attached with Gorilla tape. They feel soooo goood! The foam I had was a size too small and was not the self stick type but I neatly cut a wedge to fill the Gap and used strips of Gorilla Tape to hold it all in place. Actually looks kinda cool and should out last un-taped foam. FYI my wife's nice serrated bread knife worked super for cutting the foam and tape, heh, heh. I can hardly wait for the ride to work in the morning, I know it will be way more better! Many Thanks to M C Toyer!

Best regards, MAC
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
    That foam is a nice quick fix but the only problem is that it doesn't last very long - it doesn't stand up to the UV in the sunlight and it gets dried out and brittle over time. But it's cheap and easily replaced.
    That can be fixed by wrapping the foam with tennis racket handle tape. I've done this to my scooter grips and it works great. The tape comes in a variety of colors, is inexpensive, and easy to use.

Here's some links:
    littletommy and Fred like this.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

A handy trick I learned about cutting foam rubber is to use an old electric knife from Goodwill or similar. Goes through any kind of foam rubber like a, well, knife through butter. Cuts totally straight, too.
    cnc200
    admiral likes this.

MC...that's a great cheap fix for the tool tubes. should keep from losing /caps falling off.
    2005 Tdub

Sponosred Links