TW125 - upgrading to 165cc or 140cc? - Could we make an upgrade overview?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: TW125 - upgrading to 165cc or 140cc? - Could we make an upgrade overview?

TW125 - upgrading to 165cc or 140cc? - Could we make an upgrade overview?

Hi all,

I have a TW125 from 2000, my first bike ever, I plan to keep it the rest of my life (not sure if this is the right place on the forum to post this).

Had some problems recently. In short: My time chain tensioner is messed up, chain went off the sprocket so valve and tumbler are busted, so I need to spend some money to get it running again and figured might as well spend some extra money and try to give the bike something extra (right now I get 80-85 km/h out of it, 5th gear is hardly ever used).

I've been (-trying-) to read a lot about TW125's lately but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the internet - except for this forum, which is pretty nice - so I figured I start a post. Sorry that it's such a long post, I'm pretty new to all this, I'll make mistakes for sure so make sure to point them out to me (I'd better learn )
    However it seemed like a good idea to try and get everything in to one place. I will try to summarize everything posted in this thread every once and a while and post it here again (also give updates and post pictures if needed).

So ... Back to the bike. I will replace the timing chain, tensioner and valves but then ...

Question 1:
    There are 2 kits I'm considering: the 140 cc and 165 cc kit (was looking at the kits from TW-Parts.com)
    I haven't found a reason not to go for the 165 cc kit, is there any reason not to? (I.e. would the 140 cc last longer or something like that)

Question 2:
    What carb would be the best for a 140cc or 165cc kit?
    I read that a 26 mm carb would be good for the 140cc kit
    The 28 mm Mikuni flatside carb would be good for the 165cc

Question 3:
    What kind of sprockets would be the best for all the different combinations of kits and carbs? (now it's standard 14-50)
    (I think this question is a bit on the broad side and I know it's giving and taking but maybe somebody has a good idea about this)

Question 4:
    I've read about opening the air-intake and the exhaust to increase flow and gain some power.
    Anybody with experience in this? How much difference would it make?

Question 5:
    What about changing the cam shaft? At the moment I'm not considering this, since I have to think about my budget a bit as well, but maybe in the future...

Question 6:
    Any obvious things I'm completely missing?

BTW. In Belgium you don't need a license to ride a 125cc so I want to upgrade the bike, but not to the point of a TW200, 'officially' it should remain a 125cc.

Thanks a lot in advance! I'll start posting some pictures if there is somebody interested, and I'll make sure to give updates about the changes that are made.

Kind regards
    Domi

Hi Domi and welcome to the forum!

I would suggest sending a PM to macbig2k1 He is our resident expert on the smaller TW's. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. He would have the very best answers for you in my opinion. Yes, we love pictures and please keep us posted on your progress.
    Fred likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quick reply, I've seen you're very active on the forum .
    Was considering a PM to macbig2k1 (I think I will) but I also wanted to share it on the forum.
    Will post pictures and keep you posted on the progress.

Grts
    Domi

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm a motormouth. He might see your post. He shows up regularly, but I'd PM him for faster results to your questions. Like I said, he is very helpful and knowledgeable, I know he has all the answers. He has a website also, but I can't think of it. Post up what he says if you can later.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

First things first.

Picture of the chain tensioner. I don't think the little piece in between is supposed to be there, the previous owner probably put it in there.
    Picture of how the chain 'ate' in to the block.
    Picture of the broken tumbler (I think the chain jumped of the sprocket and the piston hit the valve, breaking the tumbler).

Chain tensioner.jpgChain eating in block.jpgBroken tumbler.jpg

macbig2k1 website is TW-Parts.com - Tuning-, Zubehör- und Ersatzteile für Yamaha TW125, 200 und 225 - so we're taking about the same site you'd already found - but tell Seb your now a member on here (every little helps). He's close to you as well .......
    littletommy likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I know next to nothing about the differences between the 125 and the 200. However, I would assume that they are probably very similar, and that you might even be able to do a direct bolt on upgrade to 200cc with factory Yamaha parts? If that is the case, then you could go to the 200 and still keep it "officially" a 125...? That's what I'd probably try and do if I were in your situation.
    littletommy likes this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Sorry for the late replay, was a busy week(end).

The exterior part numbers would change in that case (correct me if I'm wrong though) and although the chance of someone noticing is really small, I'd rather not have a visible clue of the bike being more than 125cc and risk any problems in the future. I also want to keep the bike for eternity and the law will change in the future (by 2020 there will be an annual check-up in Belgium and they will probably tighten the rules each year seeing how the government is involved).

I'll be going for my bike license the 16th of July (they are mental here, it's gonna cost me € 1120 !?!) so for me it wouldn't be an issue, but my girlfriend also wants to ride the TW125 in the future (I'll post pictures of her on the bike seeing how certain people like that (thread Progress is progress - that's really an awesome thread LittleTommy - nicely done), hence the 'officially 125cc part'.
    littletommy likes this.

Were you able to talk to Sabastian?

I've sent him a PM and he asked me to contact him via email, which I did today. I'll post his recommendations. Pretty curious what he has to say.
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links