15 front/ 42 rear sprocket conversion
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: 15 front/ 42 rear sprocket conversion

15 front/ 42 rear sprocket conversion

Finally, after waiting more than a month for my sprockets to arrive from Riders Discount in Michigan USA to me over here in South Africa I was able to do my conversion today. I only did not make it with the last final step - broke the clip of the master link on the new x-ring chain!

I will take it to the bike shop tomorrow for them to put it on.

I'm going 15/42 from 14/50 because I use the bike to commute in the city and every time go through an intersection I'm already in third gear and now my 5th gear can also be used to cruise at 55-60 mph without the engine having to overwork itself.

If it wasn't for the advice and tutorials that I found on this forum I never would have been able to do this conversion in such a short time, thanks guys!!!

23062015074.jpg 23062015075.jpg

I put the bike over on her side so that I don't have to drain the oil, according to advice from littletommy

23062015076.jpg

Yes count them, 7 broken teeth on the old sprocket!

23062015082.jpg

New 15 tooth front sprocket and new DID x-ring chain installed.

I'm going to do some testing and then let you guys know how this conversion worked out for me.
    littletommy, GTG and LuvNot like this.
    1990 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content _____________ Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. - Matthew 11:28
    Hidden Content

Great job brother Corn, my friend.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I'm excited to hear what the ride with the new sizes is like.
    Cornelis likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yes, I will be interested to see how this new gearing works out for you.

Hopefully there aren't any hills on your commute .
    Cornelis likes this.

I don't remember the brand, but I had the clip break on the master link in about a hundred miles of easy riding. It was made from thin gauge metal, and I am guessing you did everything right with the bad 'keeper.' I am thinking about changing sprocket sizes soon because I moved to paved roads, so I also would like to hear how the change is for you.
    Cornelis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Yes, I will be interested to see how this new gearing works out for you.

Hopefully there aren't any hills on your commute .
    If the hill is to steep I'll just down shift a gear, not a problem for me

I'll see how it works out, I actually do have a long steep hill on my way back from work.
    Last edited by Cornelis; 06-23-2015 at 12:44 PM.
    1990 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content _____________ Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. - Matthew 11:28
    Hidden Content

I ran 15 and 42with a 235lb rider and atv tires front and rear for quite a while and was really happy with it. The only time it ever presented a problem was on slow trails. There it is worthless and dangerous, but on more casual trails its fine and on the road it is a big plus. Nice to have the bike quiet down a little bit.

I was only able to test acceleration from standstill today - very impressive, because the first and second gear is a bit longer they are also much more usable and practical.

I'm going for a 30 mile round trip tomorrow, riding in the suburbs, a bit of free-way and a 2-mile steep uphill as I ride out of the city into the suburbs.

I will let you guys know how it worked out
    Last edited by Cornelis; 06-24-2015 at 10:34 AM.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny-Wheel-200 View Post
    I ran 15 and 42with a 235lb rider and atv tires front and rear for quite a while and was really happy with it. The only time it ever presented a problem was on slow trails. There it is worthless and dangerous, but on more casual trails its fine and on the road it is a big plus. Nice to have the bike quiet down a little bit.
    235lb and you were happy with it?

If you were happy with acceleration and general performance this means that there is no problem with the power output of this sprocket combo.
    Hidden Content

Report after first test ride

Just returned from my first proper test run and I am grinning from ear to ear, it feels like I have a brand new bike!

I'm going to take this one point at a time to explain everything to you guys

Acceleration

I did not experience any problems with it at all. Every time I pulled away from a traffic light I was up to speed in no time, maybe it is a fraction of a second slower than the 15/50 combo but it is negligible.

General Performance

There is a lot less gear changes in general when I'm riding around the city and urban roads, which makes riding easier and more enjoyable.The gear ratio of my old 5th gear is more or less the same as my new 4th gear which means I don't use the 5th gear much when I commute in the city but once I get onto the open road it is time for the fun to begin!

Open Road Cruising

As soon as I go to 5th gear everything changes, NO howling noise and vibrations of the engine being revved in the red, just SMOOTH and QUIET cruising and enjoying the scenery.

She goes up to 65 mph very easy but because of the traffic I couldn't push her to 70 mph but that will definitely be the limit on a flat road which is more than adequate for me because I want to cruise at 60-65 mph and I don't want to go faster than that.

Please remember that the engine is revving at a low 6500 rpm at 60 mph which also means there is a significant drop in fuel consumption.(around 20% less if my calculations are correct)

When I go uphill it is necessary for me to down shift to 4th every now and then but it is not a problem for me to do that at all.

Final Conclusion

This is absolutely a win-win situation because it feels to me that I've gained an extra gear to ride around with, this gearing set-up is highly recommended by me for those who use their bikes mostly for the road!

Please feel free to ask me any questions you want and I also want to give another report in a week or two from now after I've done more than a 100 miles with this ratio
    Last edited by Cornelis; 06-25-2015 at 01:24 PM.
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links