To You People Who Did The 225 Tail Shaft Conversion
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: To You People Who Did The 225 Tail Shaft Conversion

To You People Who Did The 225 Tail Shaft Conversion

Did you gain anything in the spread for the gear ratios? Can you have a creeper like the TW first and a taller sixth gear than what the TW offers in fifth?

How much taller? Is it worth it?

I found a 03' TTR225 for $850 and was thinking I could get the motor for darn near free after I part out the rest of the bike. Will I gain anything in a wider spread from first through sixth compared to the TW five speed?

Yes I would like to know that too.

Not appreciatively different according to Ronnydog, I believe he reported more overlap, not extended range of ratios unfortunately. However If I recall Ronney has a larger diameter Duro or Bighorn2 tire shoe-horned in there being driven by gosh knows what sprockets so your experience might differ.( How's that for a disclaimer?)
    TWBrian is about to unveil his 225 six speed conversion if only he can get his shoehorn to work getting his engine back in the frame.
    TW-Brian and jeffrolives like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I suppose those who seek accurate answers can always look up specs for ratios of both machines.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

IIRC there was a post from lizrdbrth stating that you could get a lower granny gear AND a higher top gear... but i saw others that said the opposite. ??
    Devils Advocate likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

If I remember right 1st and 5th of the TW is about the same as 1st and 6th of the 6 speed.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

OK. I think I have this figured out. If someone who knows more than I has any input I welcome it.

For the TW200 from the parts list:

First gear; First gear Wheel is 34 Teeth. Main Drive is 12 Teeth. First Gear = 34/12 = 2.8333.
    Fifth gear; Fifth gear Wheel is 28 Teeth. Fifth Pinion is 23 Teeth. Fifth Gear = 23/28 = 0.8214.
    Difference; .................................................. .................................................. .... 2.0119.

TTR225

First gear; First Gear Wheel is 37 Teeth. Main Drive is 15 Teeth. First Gear = 37/15 = 2.466. Slightly taller than the TW.
    Sixth gear; Sixth Gear Wheel is 29 Teeth. Sixth Pinion is 22 Teeth. Sixth gear = 22/29 = .7586. Again, taller that the TW
    Difference;....................................... .................................................. ......................... 1.707.

The TW has a wider range of ratio with five gears than the TTR225 does with six. If you change gearing on the TTR to get it as low as first on the TW you would have to reduce it by 14.88%. This would but your sixth gear at .8715 which although the number is higher the ratio is lower than the fifth of the TW.
    Last edited by Devils Advocate; 08-26-2015 at 09:15 PM.
    Fred likes this.

dont forget the ttr has a change in wide ratio to narrow in 04 I believe. the xt225 and the earlier ttr tranny are the same. My conversion is about done as well and per my math its getting a 15t front sprocket. that should bring the 6 speed first up to the stock tw 5speed. I should net a slightly taller 6th, but I doubt its gonna have anymore high speed. Im really looking for the old 4-5 drop to be better.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

I was looking at the fiche from 2003 model TTRs. That's the year I found and can get a deal on. Going back to 2000 the first for the TTR goes to a 34 tooth and sixth pinion goes to a 34 tooth. That makes it even closer, 1st to sixth.

Am I doing this right?

I am running the six speed with stock final gearing as are my buddies with their 5 speeds. My first gear is slightly lower than theirs and 6th is slightly higher than their 5th....not much difference really but in combination with the extra displacement it makes the conversion worthwhile. It is not wide enough for a granny first offroad and an overdrive 6th on road, but it is an improvement. I just finished my second 6speed motor and I am looking for a home for it. Find a low hour and maintained ttr225 as your base and it is an easy conversion. I did not even install new rings on either of these motors I converted....almost no signs of wear on the pistons or the bores, barely broke in really! I suggest using the early style carb as they make great/responsive low end power in the stroked motor. My bike has lost about 20 lbs and the bike feels more like a real dirtbike than a compromised dual sport.
    Fred and PlacerLode like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links