2015 tw200 changes?....cyclerack not a good fit
Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: 2015 tw200 changes?....cyclerack not a good fit

2015 tw200 changes?....cyclerack not a good fit

Hey!

It appears that the frame, peg mounts, and muffler area have been changed slightly on this years model (lower) and it makes the rear cyclerack twist. The guys at cycleracks seemed surprised so I thought who better to ask then other T-dubbers. Has anyone come across this? Any suggestions?

I have some very basic metal working skills and could drill another hole, or make a bracket, but I'm not sure how to approach it. Lower the left side or raise the right?

So excited to have a t-dub. Just got it 2 weeks ago and have covered roughly 300km of dirt road on it.

If you've notice any other changes on this years model feel free to add them....

Thanks. As a DIYer who has to mod and customize everything I'm so glad to find a great forum.

While possible I didn't think it was likely it would fit TWs universally. I did get it to fit and function (exactly how you described, hehe) but being a graphic designer, I can't help but try and get it to aligned better.I was considering making my own pannier mounts. Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by HKLBRY View Post
    Welcome to the forum, the fitment of the Cyclerack is a common problem. No one is sure if it is a Yamaha issue, Cyclerack issue or combination of both.
    ^^^^^ HKLBRY has summed it up well with this statement. ^^^^^

We have had to bend things a bit, and maybe enlarge a hole, and maybe end up with a slightly non-level rack, but it is rare to have to drill a complete new hole or do a complete refab.

I would REALLY REALLY REALLY doubt Yamaha changed anything on the 2015.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

hmmm

The cycle rack has even length bars on each side yet the 2015 TW has one mounting bolt visibly lower then the other. I'm not familiar with the other models aside from a google search but from what I've seen the right side of the frame is more kinked out around the muffler then some of the other models. If I'm not mistaken some models have a much more symmetrical frame.
    TWilight likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HKLBRY View Post
    Welcome to the forum, the fitment of the Cyclerack is a common problem. No one is sure if it is a Yamaha issue, Cyclerack issue or combination of both. It should still fit, just do not tighten any of the bolt completely until you have all 4 screwed hand tight, then tighten it up. It will look a little off, but once loaded up with gear you won't notice it. And in my opinion it is the most versatile of all the rack options, so good choice. If you plan on using panniers I would suggest using the Cycleracks panniers mounts over other options also, they are lighter weight and can be removed and installed much easier than other options.
    I disagree, it's versatile for sure but I would say it's the least expensive of the top tier options. Definitely not the most versatile.
    TWilight likes this.

I just spent an hour plus getting my cycle rack on my '04 I though the thing was warped as i had to push and bend and shim and groan. However, it is on and both wheels still turn....next?
    TWilight, immgunn and Rider21 like this.

VintageGW's
    4 GL1000 Some of these are for sale....
    1 GL1800
    Gone to a good home - '04 TW200 - Mulita!

I have a 2014 and when I went to install my cycle rack it was way out. I got the 2 bolts under the seat and the lower right bolt in but the lower left was over an inch out in 2 directions. after taking a pipe bender to it , it fit great. nice and straight and level. cycle rack was great about it, even after I told them I didn't need a new rack they sent one anyway, they have great customer service20.JPG
    GTG, TWilight and williamemack like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Trail Woman...welcome...to the Greatest Show on Earth.

The folks above have stated it all fairly well......BUT....(another word for however).....they are being a little too kind to CycleRack. HKLBRY put it all together very well, however (another word for BUT)...

Someone needs to give a serious slap up the backside of the head to CycleRack, and make them take notice......they jig is off......or they just don't make good racks....it is one, or the other.

In answer to your specific question.....all the TW200s built since 1987 (that is the beginning of time as mankind knows it)...have ALL been the same frame design, and placement of the rear footpegs, mounting holes, etc.

A well designed and manufactured rear rack should fit onto every TW200 ever made...exactly the same...whether it is a 1987 model, or a 2015 model.

The absolute TRUTH here, is that CycleRack makes a rack that is NOT designed correctly, or their jig is off. That is it...pure and simple.

People are afraid to say that, because they love that CycleRack does make a somewhat decent oversized rack, and it distributes the weight being carried to more than just the rear sub-frame.

But I know of several people on this forum that have taken that CycleRack design, and made their OWN racks based on that CycleRack design, and their racks fit the TW200 perfectly, and look good.

It is a SHAME that almost every...and we could say...EVERY...CycleRack we see on the back end of a TW200 is tilted...off...slanted. What is the ONE common denominator in all this ?

The bikes are built squarely...and the rear sub-frame is not tilted or slanted. So it MUST be that the CycleRack is built WRONG....either the design...or the jig when they go to weld things up.

This has been brought to the attention of CycleRacks numerous times, and they continue to blow it off, as if it is not their fault.

So...Trail Woman....the CycleRack you got is typical of their poor work. You have done everything correct on your end. Yes, it can be FORCED to fit your bike, as others have described. Yes, it will work...even though tilted or slanted.

If it were ME, I would send it back to them, with a 1000 word letter telling them what idiots they are for not owning up to their own errors, and for not supplying the owners of TW200s with a properly made rack.

Then, I would ask one of the folks on this forum that CAN make a rack correctly, to make me one...done right.
    Quality isn't what it used to be and now what is acceptable is just close. Just ordered two nomadic racks for me and a friend to save shipping..... None of the screw holes were counter sunk for the flat head screws... It is powder coated. Was told to counter sink myself with bigger drill bit...... Nice rack still.
    BkCntryCrwlr likes this.
    1991 TW200

Yea I figured something was a little inconsistent in Cyclerack's production process. To me, it wasn't really an issue at all. I didn't mind having to tweak the thing to get it to bolt up. But I can see how this could piss someone off. Anyway, it's just a matter of figuring out which bolts need to go in first and then getting the right leverage on the rest of the bike/rack. You can, for example, lean one side of it against the garage or a fence post or something, while you screw with getting the bolt in.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

If it doesn’t line up properly — Cycleracks recommend using a white van to assist ……..

TW Rear ended by Van Side View.JPG
    Last edited by Purple; 07-04-2015 at 06:32 AM.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links