TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Keeping passenger pegs when putting taller shock in.

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  lizrdbrth 
#1 ·
To those of you who have lifted the rear of your TW through a taller shock, I'm wondering how you overcame the issue of your rear passenger pegs interfering with the brake rod.

In the usual configuration, the rear brake rod passes through the passenger peg. Once you raise the bike, the angle of the swingarm is steeper and therefore the brake arm conflicts with the lower part of the passenger peg. For now I've removed the passenger pegs, but I'd like to get them back if possible. Has anyone found a solution? It looks like I might have to fabricate a "link" between the brake pedal and the brake rod.

See less See more
#3 ·
I like the yellow fork boots. Is that a banshee shock? How hard was it to install and do you have photos of the completion?

#4 ·
That is a shock from a Yamaha Blaster. A couple of guys had installed them on the "old" forum so I took the idea from them. It's almost a direct bolt on, but you have to put it in upside down and I actually found the upper mount bushing to be too large so I had a friend machine me a bushing with a smaller ID.

It's very easy to install! I don't really have any photos of the install because it literally took about 10 minutes.

Wow, that's high. What shock are you using? Looks like the easist way to go would be to fabricate and weld an extension to the top of your rear brake pedal to match the height/legnth you will need.

Yeah I thought about that until I saw this post where ronnydog put a TTR lever on his TW. It's an inch taller so it might provide the clearance I need. And it bolts right on!

#5 ·
Catamount, I am a bit confused. You indicate that you got an idea to upgrade your rear suspension from the 'old' forum. To upgrade your bike with a Blaster rear shock was a ten minute process, but required that a special bushing be made to mate the Blaster to the stock mounting bolt (?).

Since we are on the New Forum, I think it important that we restate a few things for newer members. Did others that used the Blaster shock have the same problem you are having? If they did the same install, they certainly had to do something to deal with this issue.

In my opinion, jacking up the rear so much more than the front may not be a plus. I did the Banshee mod and did not have to deal with the r. brake rod at all. This is not to suggest that my (Rodrey's) mod is better than yours, I am just wondering why/if so much more height is a plus (on one end only).

A better rear shock is a BIG plus, and I enjoy mine. I am not so sure about lifting the back 'that much'. Could you deal with both issues by drilling a new lower mounting hole that would cancel-out some of the lift? Gerry

#6 ·
Catamount, I am a bit confused. You indicate that you got an idea to upgrade your rear suspension from the 'old' forum. To upgrade your bike with a Blaster rear shock was a ten minute process, but required that a special bushing be made to mate the Blaster to the stock mounting bolt (?).

Actually, you're mis-quoting me. I said that the Blaster shock was 'almost' a direct fit. If you read my post, you'll see that I mention having to have a bushing made.

No where did I say that the process was '10 minutes' from start-to-finish. I said that the 'install' took 10 minutes, which it did.

Since we are on the New Forum, I think it important that we restate a few things for newer members. Did others that used the Blaster shock have the same problem you are having? If they did the same install, they certainly had to do something to deal with this issue.

The other forum member who did this mod did not mention running into this.

Maybe the Blaster shock differs from year-to-year, and his was a perfect fit?

Maybe he bolted it up without a bushing and wasn't worried about extra space?

Maybe he forgot to mention it?

If people want to put an ATV shock on a bike, they should have the willingness to adapt to any fitment problems they may or may not run into.

In my opinion, jacking up the rear so much more than the front may not be a plus. I did the Banshee mod and did not have to deal with the r. brake rod at all. This is not to suggest that my (Rodrey's) mod is better than yours, I am just wondering why/if so much more height is a plus (on one end only).

A better rear shock is a BIG plus, and I enjoy mine. I am not so sure about lifting the back 'that much'.

Only time will answer the question of how well it handles. As you can tell, my bike is not road worthy yet.

I consider this an experiment, and one that I can easily reverse.

I'm not exactly sure why you're chiming in only to say that it's probably a bad idea, other than to rain on my parade.

Could you deal with both issues by drilling a new lower mounting hole that would cancel-out some of the lift? Gerry

I suppose one could modify the lower mounting hole if you wanted to lower the bike. I don't.

I'm starting to see what others have mentioned about this forum not being entirely supportive.

By asking a simple question I certainly didn't expect to have to defend certain aspects of my build.

You'd think the community would embrace a little experimentation, especially when the experiment is on someone else's bike.

This thread makes me want to keep future modifications to myself.

#7 ·
Catamount, it is never my intention to rain on anyone's parade. When I made the statements that I did, I tried to use care, choosing words that suggested I am expressing a personal opinion. I try to indicate as well that I am no expert and am simply expressing concern and seeking clarity.

If "I" chose not to be supportive, I likely would not have created the "Missing Link" award.

As well, why would someone like me, that has presented all sorts of "left field ideas" turn around and dump on those that have inspired me?

Catamount, more than anything else, should it strike me as possible, it is always my intent to support, offer ideas and perhaps 'carefully presented' criticism.

What I have noted on this and the few other forums I have participated in is, some projects are brought to light and since they are in the 'experimental' stage, there remains some question as to how effective they may actually turn out to be. Unfortunately more than a couple of these simply fall from view, leaving as all unclear as to whether the idea was good or bad. A case in point is our fork mod quest. There was a young fellow that was attempting to mod his bike to accept YZ 125 forks (I think). He seemed to have got pretty far along and the project looked very promising, then nothing more. Not sure if he moved to the Bahama's to windsurf with a new Girlfriend, or an accident caused by some glitch in his fork idea has put him in a wheelchair.

Personally, I think this forum is far more supportive than the 'outside'. As well, I think it to be extremely counter productive to present only the negative as to criticize with the intent of 'Raining on someones parade'.

I wish you the Best with your shock mod. The TW suspension can use all the help it can get, and I am sure that many of us are looking for another viable option. Gerry

T

#8 ·
I have built several bikes on the internet, and it's no place for the thin-skinned. If you're gunna put it out there, expect some constructive criticism. It will come in many forms ranging from "that may not work as well as if you_______, and here's why" to "that's just stoopit!", with no explanation. I pay attention to most things between the two extremes, ignore the latter extreme, and try to correct my thinking if applicable.

I think Gizmow was pointing out that you will need to address the change in trail from the lift, and it appears that you were aware of that. Someone else might not be, so the info now has value.

This website is all about being helpful.

If you welded two tabs on each footpeg arm, extending the bolt hole spacing UP, would it lower the peg arms enough to clear? In other words lower the brackets about 3/4"- 1" with tabs. In looking at mine it appears as if it would.

#9 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.