Anyone want to guess the weight limit of a Manrack?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Anyone want to guess the weight limit of a Manrack?

Anyone want to guess the weight limit of a Manrack?

I have a Manrack with bungee loops and I emailed the company asking what the weight limit was for my particular model. They would not disclose it. For you metal workers here, or those who would like to take the challenge, what is your ballpark figure for the rack?
    littletommy likes this.

I know the one on my 2014 that I borrowed from Borneo for the Moab Trip....held well until I bounced around with the 2 gallons of fuel latched on it...after a couple of falls, both welds broke...however, the Manrack came out in good shape...now I know that doesn't answer your question, but just saying, there are limits, especially if you are riding off road and falling in sand pits...
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

It's not the rack capabilities that matter, it's the weight that the rear sub frame on the bike can handle. In this case, sorry to say, but the limit is 7 lbs.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    It's not the rack capabilities that matter, it's the weight that the rear sub frame on the bike can handle. In this case, sorry to say, but the limit is 7 lbs.
    Sorry but the Manracks doesn't use the rear sub-frame for mounting points. It mounts to the same place your seat does. So how much can a TW seat handle? I actually think the pip alongside the seat would fail first.
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

I wondered if that was the model. Doesn't it use two mounting points though on that subframe or the whole rear of the rack? That would limit it somewhat...wouldn't it?? I mean you can't put 200 lbs on it can you?? Like you could a Cyclerack??
    Peterb likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

The Manrack mounting points are two-fold – first pair under the seat – second pair at the very beginning of the sub-frame. How much will they take ? – my guess is quite a bit – 60 lb + dead weight ? – probably less if you were bouncing around …….

The standard 7lb loading limit is at the rear of the sub frame – “just” the sub frame – law of the lever and all that.

Why don’t Manracks state a limit ? – because they would have to ruin a perfectly good main frame to find it.

But don’t take my word for it – feel free to find out …………..

The only advantage the Cyclerack has is the leg to the rear footrest, where force is applied directly along the tubing – the indicator mounts are just stabilisers ……….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Mrs Trip's seat bracket with a cycleracks:

We've been having ongoing issues on our trip between the rack and the bike frame. My bike developed a crack in the cross bar under the seat as well. They have been repaired by Handlebar Motorsports in Durango, CO, by welding round bar to the underside of the crosspiece. I have not seen the repairs yet...I'll see that Tuesday morning. I believe Mrs Trips has been worse because her bike is lowered with the V-Star shock.
    We previously had the Cyclerack repaired in Bisbee, Az by a prince among men, the Lawrence Welk of Welding, Merle the Pearl Phillips of All Custom Welding. He saved our ride!

He dropped what he was doing and took us in on a Saturday afternoon and did an excellent repair to the rack.

All this is to say that the weak link is the TW crossmember...I will bet that's the limiting factor on both designs.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodetrip View Post
    Mrs Trip's seat bracket with a cycleracks:

All this is to say that the weak link is the TW crossmember...I will bet that's the limiting factor on both designs.
    But it's still probably the strongest place to mount it. I would think the weakest piece of the cycleracks is the length of pipe to the passenger foot pegs.
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Actually, I think the weak point on the Cycleracks is the weld between the "L" shape bracket that attaches at the seat, and the round bar of the rack. It would be greatly strengthened with some gusseting. The weld itself could be more robust. The design of the Cycleracks makes that point a fulcrum that carries most of the weight. The load is behind that point, and the legs down to the footpegs are actually resisting an upward force from the balance point. I think any failures would be at the fulcrum. After the rack was repaired by Merle Phillips, the stress was transferred to the TW seat bracket which failed in turn.
    I have not seen what the repair to our seat cross members looks like. But I did see a thread where Ronnydog did a great repair to his seat bracket and I doubt he has experienced further problems...even with a big deer hanging off the back of his bike!
    littletommy and PlacerLode like this.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    ....held well until I bounced around with the 2 gallons of fuel latched on it...
    Lol!

Thank you all for your input. When I posted this question I was thinking of how many fuel Rotopax cans I could safely carry on it. Would one be too much? And does fuel weigh less than water?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links