Best spent $40, jets and shims
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Best spent $40, jets and shims

Best spent $40, jets and shims

By far the best $40 I have spent on my 2014. My TW has the stock exhaust so I went up to a 32.5 pilot and 130 main. Ordered them from Jetsrus for $27.97. Bought a pack of 25 shims from amazon for $12.41, item model #Z9881-10. I used three shims to start and it works great. Thanks for the write up TK carb Main jet, needle spacing change.

Only two of the bowl screws opened with a phillips. They would start to strip out so I used a pair of small vise grips to loosen the other two. Bowl gasket was good so I did not need another. After removing the air/fuel plug over the screw I checked setting and it was out 1.25 turns. Opened it to 2.25 turns. Most of my riding is from sea level to 2000 feet above. After the carb work it runs great. Starts quicker and does not bog down when giving it throttle after starting. A noticeable increase in power, torque and response. Not monstrous but most certainly worth the $40 and small amount of work. Would recommend this to anyone with the 2001 and newer TWs.

A few tips I learned over the years from rebuilding atv carbs. I use a cardboard box that hold 4 six packs of soda or whatever to dismantle the carb in. Makes it hard to lose parts. For older bikes that the rubber boots shrank and are not very flexible anymore, use a little WD40 on the inside to slide the carb back in. On the throttle return side of the carb I used a wrench to hold it turned when putting the rear most cable on. Was pretty difficult to do by hand.

If you are considering doing this, give it a shot, you will be happy with the results.

Good write up. Jets-r-us isn't the cheapest, but has all you need in one place. (sometimes worth a buck or two) They also have sets of small allen bolts to use on the float bowl. I make a habit of replacing then on any carb I have to get into.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

Do you remember the size of the Allen bolts for the float bowl. Gonna rejet again and wanted to replace those. There were a few sizes to choose from on the site
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the write-up.

I bumped up my pilot and used 2 shims on the needle. Three shims was too much. Stock main didn't need to be increased since I rarely ride my bike below 2K' elevation up to over 8K'. My bike starts first kick and no choke every time unless the temps are below 50. Then maybe half choke for 20 seconds tops.

BTW, I sent some shims out to a few folks and never heard back how they worked out.
    The bear slayer!

Quote Originally Posted by Ski Pro 3 View Post
    Thanks for the write-up.

I bumped up my pilot and used 2 shims on the needle. Three shims was too much. Stock main didn't need to be increased since I rarely ride my bike below 2K' elevation up to over 8K'. My bike starts first kick and no choke every time unless the temps are below 50. Then maybe half choke for 20 seconds tops.

BTW, I sent some shims out to a few folks and never heard back how they worked out.

Ski,

Did you notice any real improvements when you completed your re-jet? Mine seems to stumble when you first start to open the throttle until it is good and warm. Also seems to be kind of dead in the last twenty percent of the throttle range.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    Ski,

Did you notice any real improvements when you completed your re-jet? Mine seems to stumble when you first start to open the throttle until it is good and warm. Also seems to be kind of dead in the last twenty percent of the throttle range.

Tom
    My bike had that stumble; right off idle to maybe 1/16th throttle open. With a slow roll-on of the throttle, there would be a distinct 'flat spot' until I rotated the throttle through it, then it would rev as normal. Mostly when cold, better when warm but didn't go away altogether. The 2 shims fixed the problem. Bumping up the pilot made it so I didn't need to keep on the choke for anything other than cold weather start-ups.
    The bear slayer!

My bike had that stumble; right off idle to maybe 1/16th throttle open. With a slow roll-on of the throttle, there would be a distinct 'flat spot' until I rotated the throttle through it, then it would rev as normal. Mostly when cold, better when warm but didn't go away altogether. The 2 shims fixed the problem. Bumping up the pilot made it so I didn't need to keep on the choke for anything other than cold weather start-ups.
    Very good information. What main jet did you use? I am thinking about trying this in the spring but I am not sure if the benefits are worth the tinkering. Thank you for the feedback.

Tom

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

I didn't change my main jet. Only my pilot.
    5LB-14342-17-00 JET, PILOT (#34) (Yamaha Motor) $7.94

I got it off boats.net

Shipping was $5.95 so total was $13.89. Kinda pricey, but I am SOOOOOOO happy with how my bike starts. I can go out in the garage and, with my hand on the kick starter, fire it up with a half push. Or with the e-button, I can't release the button fast enough, and it starts. I love impressing people with how easy this bike starts and how smooth it idles and revs. Now THIS is how a motor and carb should work!!

All bikes are a hair different than another, like people I imagine everyone won't have the same experience I'm having. I do love to pass along what I did to make mine work as I like it to work.
    The bear slayer!

I didn't change my main jet. Only my pilot.
    5LB-14342-17-00 JET, PILOT (#34) (Yamaha Motor) $7.94

I got it off boats.net

Shipping was $5.95 so total was $13.89. Kinda pricey, but I am SOOOOOOO happy with how my bike starts. I can go out in the garage and, with my hand on the kick starter, fire it up with a half push. Or with the e-button, I can't release the button fast enough, and it starts. I love impressing people with how easy this bike starts and how smooth it idles and revs. Now THIS is how a motor and carb should work!!

All bikes are a hair different than another, like people I imagine everyone won't have the same experience I'm having. I do love to pass along what I did to make mine work as I like it to work.

I do appreciate yours and everybody's time and effort in helping others. I think I will order a few shims and the pilot just so I have it. I do get bored occasionally and like to tinker.

Tom
    jtomelliott49 and TopPredator like this.

Send me a PM with your address. I'll send you 3 shims. (the extra third just in case your bike's happier with it than not)
    No need to buy 'em, but if you choose to, I found mine here;

Robot Check
    The bear slayer!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links