Punching holes in Ricochet
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So, I'm finally going to ventilate the ricochet. Living in the desert, here in Reno, gives us frequent days hanging around the upper 90's and lower 100's...not nearly as hot as some here, but hot enough. Ricochet covers a bunch of the transmission and I've always recognized this and I finally have the motivation.

I'm going to begin with 3-4 holes, approx 1 inch in diameter. I will j/b weld some tough screen material(I robbed from my old OEM R6 air filter, to place onto the inside of the cover - to protect from rocks that would like to sneek in.

I shall post pics when finished...it has been forever since I've posted here.

-Adam

I live in the desert in the Coachella Valley / Palm Springs / Desert Hot Springs and have the Ricocet... I've ridden in some extreem heat and have had zero issues. I'd personally not want to weaken a very important protector.
    2007 TW "Muley": Cyclerack rear, 55 tooth rear sprocket, Duro Power Grip & Shinko SR241, Clarke tank, Ricochet bash plate, Mule hitch pin quick seat removal, Trail Tech Vapor w/ Dashboard, hardwired Garmin 60csx & 205w, 12vdc adaptor, independent high beam off/on and signal beeper, modified seat.

2000 Yamaha V-star 650 Custom - [sold]

2009 Yamaha WR250R - "Willie Boy" the slimmer faster brother of my Muley.

2009 Hidden Content . Wow, what fun on the highway!

JS5,

True, one may never notice any issues until they arise, hehe

Seriously though, I chug TW up some incredibly steep, sandy mountains...and I'm always hunting for that rocky canyon that demands the 1st gear and clutch slippin', leg draggin action that we technical dual sporters love. When I've stopped for a break, during the triple digits - or even mid 90's I've touched the ricochet and it gets quite hot. When I look at the OEM tin plate, it's littered with holes - perhaps Yamaha did an overkill with the ventilation there. Then again, one could say at speeds this low, holes will do little to no good

I need to replace my laptop so I can upload some pictures of this (after I take some)so people can see this - I'm sort of proud I drilled them near the top, right under the front bracket. I can't imagine it reducing much of the plates integrity, seeing as though my large hits have come from large rocks, bottoming out TW. I worry about the rocks that are kicked up by the front tire. For that, I've j/b welded tough screen material to protect the stray rocks, that actually worked really well.

Perhaps it will make no noticable difference, I'm willing to bet - it won't. It was a fun project and gives me a little piece of mind, knowing that a little more air is slamming into the trans-case, that wouldn't have done so before.

-sigh- another long-winded response by myself

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Not to thread jack, but it sounds like your Ricochets have taken some pretty heavy abuse! Would you guys describe the Ricochet plate as a 'must have'?
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

If you're going to do any offroading, a true skidplate like the ricochet is a very good thing to have. I didn't realize how exposed the motor is until I was installing my ricochet. Also, I didn't realize the frame doesn't continue around and below the motor! Instead, it stops at the front motor mount and resumes and the rear of the motor. So, having a nice thick skidplate to fill this gap is a really good idea.
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    Not to thread jack, but it sounds like your Ricochets have taken some pretty heavy abuse! Would you guys describe the Ricochet plate as a 'must have'?

Indeed! All it takes is having the T-dub bottom out on top of a big rock for you to be thankful that you put one on. Done that many times. It was the prior board that had discussion on hitting a big rock with only the stock plate... NOT GOOD, so I bought the Ricochet!
    2007 TW "Muley": Cyclerack rear, 55 tooth rear sprocket, Duro Power Grip & Shinko SR241, Clarke tank, Ricochet bash plate, Mule hitch pin quick seat removal, Trail Tech Vapor w/ Dashboard, hardwired Garmin 60csx & 205w, 12vdc adaptor, independent high beam off/on and signal beeper, modified seat.

2000 Yamaha V-star 650 Custom - [sold]

2009 Yamaha WR250R - "Willie Boy" the slimmer faster brother of my Muley.

2009 Hidden Content . Wow, what fun on the highway!

Quote Originally Posted by JS5owner View Post
    Indeed! All it takes is having the T-dub bottom out on top of a big rock for you to be thankful that you put one on. Done that many times. It was the prior board that had discussion on hitting a big rock with only the stock plate... NOT GOOD, so I bought the Ricochet!

The TCI skidplate makes the Ricochet unit look like milquetoast.

I'll post pics of the install this w/e if I can. Tom has modified the design for even easier oil changes.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    The TCI skidplate makes the Ricochet unit look like milquetoast.

I'll post pics of the install this w/e if I can. Tom has modified the design for even easier oil changes.

Like modified from his original version?

I'd hope the TCI had something better going for it as it is over twice the price! $239 for a skidplate?? Guess I'm just [s]cheap[/s] er... poor.

The TCI does look like the ultimate in protection but after much thought I found the price just too steep. Ricochet is good enough for the type of riding I do.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links