TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Saddlebag Side Supports

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  munchmeister 
#1 ·
I've had a set of the Versa Packs for a while but never used. Am planning several 2-3 day road trips so time to get my gear in order. Fully loaded still fits in my carry/camp/cook trailer.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Car

I eliminated the saddle pad and cross suspension straps and replaced with short end loop straps that attach to the Cycle Rack side rails. As a back-up I hooked the carabineers on my recovery rope around the rail and carry handles on the packs. The turn signals are fully visible from the rear and 90 degrees from either side.
Vehicle

The side supports were cobbled together from some scraps of 3/4" EMT and attached through the side bolts on the Cycle Rack and the fender support bracket at the rear. The short straight piece on the ground slides through the d-rings on the bottom on the pack to keep it flat against the support. There is not any weight directly on the side supports to stress the fender bracket
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Auto part

I added a sheet metal shield on the exhaust side. Will add a fuel can on the left.
Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper Auto part Vehicle

The top bag is a soft side cooler - will reinforce with some pieces of 3/4" rigid polyurethane foam since I could not find a plastic container to fit.
Luggage and bags Games

Leaving today to run the Kiamitia River and ride the Old Military Road Trail in NE Oklahoma.

M C

See less See more
#3 ·
Just a standard manual conduit bender:

Tool Metalworking hand tool Hand tool

I intended to make it from a single piece but proved a bit challenging estimating dimensions and with the short lengths between the curves so I used a couple of slip joints
Line art

where the additional loop is attached. The ends on it are flattened and drilled and a stove bolt run thorough both pieces, plus pop rivets on the slip joints in addition to the set screws:
Vehicle Auto part Pipe Rim Car

(click to enlarge)

If it works will try to remake in a single piece using this as a model. It was mostly trial and error on the original. Also the placement of the holes for the buddy pegs (which I had previously removed anyway) where the lower end of the Cycle Rack attaches is about 1 to 1-1/2 inches different on either side. The muffler shield is 26 gauge tin hand hemmed and rolled, then pop riveted to the support.

Nylon locknuts on the stove bolts and the two u-bolts attaching the top to the fender bracket then acorn nuts on the ends for smoothness.

M C

#6 ·
Just a standard manual conduit bender:

View attachment 23017

I intended to make it from a single piece but proved a bit challenging estimating dimensions and with the short lengths between the curves so I used a couple of slip joints
View attachment 23018

where the additional loop is attached. The ends on it are flattened and drilled and a stove bolt run thorough both pieces, plus pop rivets on the slip joints in addition to the set screws:
View attachment 23019
(click to enlarge)

If it works will try to remake in a single piece using this as a model. It was mostly trial and error on the original. Also the placement of the holes for the buddy pegs (which I had previously removed anyway) where the lower end of the Cycle Rack attaches is about 1 to 1-1/2 inches different on either side. The muffler shield is 26 gauge tin hand hemmed and rolled, then pop riveted to the support.

Nylon locknuts on the stove bolts and the two u-bolts attaching the top to the fender bracket then acorn nuts on the ends for smoothness.

M C
I bought a piece of conduit and borrowed a bender from pops-in-law. My plan is to build a rail (or two) above the cyclerack to help hold Georgie so she doesn't fall off at her old age. I had a couple issues on how to attach it and your post here helped and gave me the solution I needed. Thanks for posting this.

#5 ·
Nice. Gives me some ideas to make a temporary rack for my 77 KZ for a long trip I have planed next year. Racks are next to impossible to find for this old bike so I think Ill make something :)

#7 · (Edited)
Admiral you might want to check out boat bow rails i.e.

[video]http://www.ebay.com/bhp/bow-rail[/video]

West Marine also carries these items also but they are expensive. Only the best for a good dog. My dog Dixie fell out the back of my sons pickup when she was three. We were driving slowly between our farms on a back road. She hurt her back leg and has limped ever since it happened. The Vet said there nothing that can be done and I feel horrible that I let her ride in the back that day.

#8 ·
Well at least you have continued to provide her a caring, loving home. You should be commended.

Our current Commander-in-chef would have served her with noodles and a fine white Riesling.

Tom:D

Reactions: TopPredator
#11 ·
I've had a set of the Versa Packs for a while but never used. Am planning several 2-3 day road trips so time to get my gear in order. Fully loaded still fits in my carry/camp/cook trailer.
View attachment 23006
Damn, forget the luggage, I want to see the build blog for that trailer. That is very cool and very much what I've been thinking about for hauling my TDub to some locations for ridin and campin. Got any more info on the trailer?

#12 ·
I started a thread here but have done a lot more since:
http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/16026-trailer-camper-upgrade.html

Basically I added two large storage boxes up front and one swing-out chuck box in the rear with butane stove, utensils, etc.
Wood Plywood Wood stain Hardwood Furniture

Room Wood Shed Plywood Roof

There is a bed platform that sets just above the three boxes that I can use to sleep out of the weather when the TW is unloaded. Dogs' bed below.
Canidae Dog Doghouse Dog breed Kennel

Here's a shot mostly loaded.
Vehicle Car Room

I begin by loading / checking the gear in the storage and chuck boxes, then secure the bed platform to one side and load several large items on top of the left storage box forward. Next the TW. You can't see in the photos but I have a set of guide rails on the floor to keep the front wheel straight and make sure the TW stays centered. That way I can push it in (and unload the same way) just gripping the back of the Cycle Rack. Next the TW is tied down (there's is a locking chock at the front) and I load the ramp and rest of the gear.

The chuck-box is fully accessible when the bed platform is in place, but not when the TW is loaded.

The bed platform can also be attached to the outside of the trailer leaving the TW inside. I then put a small tent and self inflating mattress on the platform when I prefer to sleep outside of the trailer similar to this set up on the previous teardrop top.
Tent Vehicle Tree Automotive exterior Shade

I've never weighed the whole rig. The trailer is very stout with a 3500# axle, 15" wheels and a 3x3" tongue. The profile is smaller than my Jeep so there is very little wind resistance and it has a low center of gravity so not affected by passing 18 wheelers or strong crosswinds.

I live where there is suitable riding weather 11 months a year, but very little public land so usually trailer the TW and camping gear anywhere from 100 to 1500 miles depending on the weather at the destination.

#13 ·
Very nice bro!! :D

#14 ·
Here's a couple of pics of the extended luggage rack. Hooked to the front crossbar on the Cycle Rack it adds 12" length; to the center crossbar 16" length. I was able to bend it from a single piece of 3/4" EMT. Overall it measures 24" long, 18" wide, 8" high.

I only carry a down sleeping bag and one change of warm weather clothes in the duffle so it does no add a lot of weight to the rear overhang.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Mode of transport Motorcycle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car
Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Car

Here's a close-up of the 1/2" PVC conduit that secures the bottom on the Versa Packs to the side supports. It has a plastic cap glued to the front and a rubber stopper on the other that can be removed. Neither will slide through the D-Rings on the packs so no other attachment is necessary.

Motor vehicle Vehicle

Thanks for the "likes" and positive comments. You can tell I've got a lot of time to piddle around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.