Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By RobG
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By TWROG
  • 2 Post By Ski Pro 3
  • 1 Post By jb882
  • 1 Post By Motoad
  • 1 Post By RobG

Thread: Mondo Moto LED Aux Lights are GARBAGE!

Mondo Moto LED Aux Lights are GARBAGE!

It's rare that I hold a grudge this long, especially against a product.. but I'm gonna go ahead and post this because I don't want the folks here to be taken in by their crap.

2-1/2 years ago when I bought my V-Strom, I wanted a set of LED aux lights for it. I had a real nice set of Denalis (from Twisted Throttle) on my DR650 that I loved. I couldn't afford the $280 price, so I got sucked into the $119 deal from MondoMotos.com for their lights. The people on the Stromtrooper site seemed to like them.

I got them and installed them right away and went for a night ride. I didn't like them at all. Very weak, lousy beam pattern, etc. I removed them and sent an email asking to return them. No answer. Sent a second request. No answer. I gave up, reinstalled them and decided to just deal with them. The V-Strom already has very good headlights; these would mainly be for visibility by other motorists.

A week or so ago, I decided to move these things over to the TW. On the V-Strom, they were mounted low on the forks. I figured maybe the mounting location was why the didn't work so well. So on the TW, I put 'em up just under the headlight, same way my Denais were on my DR650 (prior to my 6.6 gal gas tank, which necessitated relocating them elsewhere). I wired 'em all up, even gave them a fresh paint job.

Today, after riding around quite a bit, I pulled the bike into my friend's shop for the night. The lights inside were already off so I thought hey let's see how these LEDs are. I was very sorely disappointed. They aren't even half as bright as my LED headlight. The beam pattern is abysmal. I aimed them pretty low so they'd at least illuminate the ground ahead of the TW, so if I were on a night ride on dirt, I could see the undulations in the ground better. But still, they're just terrible.

Here's where it gets kinda funny.. the MondoMotos guys have accused me repeatedly of being a shill for Twisted Throttle (of which I have no association) for bashing their lights so much. Nope, it's because their lights suck and because they ignored two requests to return them (which of course they deny). Had I been able to return them, I wouldn't really have ever said a bad word about them unless specifically asked. Instead, I make a point of telling people how much those lights suck.

These very same lights can be had on eBay for $30 each. I found several listings yesterday. They're identical in every way, so for HALF the price you can have these. But even for $60 I wouldn't want them. They're that bad. I'm not sure what to do with them.

Back when I had my KLX250S, and long before I heard of MondoMotos, I put a set of $120 eBay Chinese special lights on it. They were very similar to the Denalis, but not quite. They certainly weren't of the same quality beam-wise, but they were just as bright and did a halfway decent job. I'd much rather have those than these pieces of crap.

So yeah... there's my rant.

2016-02-15 11.27.30.jpg
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Those lights do not look impressive for the money. Seems like every time I check Amazon they have newer, brighter, cheaper LED chip sets in ever increasingly diverse housings and lenses; and often from American re-sellers too. The Tripps have seemingly better light cubes, mine 4 CREE 18watt stalk units were less than $15. I fear many bike web sites have older generation stuff in inventory at noncompetitive pricing.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 “Mr.Gizmo
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I just ordered some Chinese ones..........from china They have a VERY concentrated spot beam that would not be very good for illumination, Ill be using them just for visibility. I want to use them to replace the GIGANTIC fog lights mounted to my new to me 1982 KZ1100. I made an offer of 8 bucks to the seller.........he accepted. 16 bucks for 2

CREE U2 LED Motorcycle Driving Fog Spot Headlights Lamp Chrome 2500LM Chrome 30W | eBay
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Someone on the forum here sells a set of lights integrated with tie down strap points and mount where the fork reflectors go. I can't find the thread right now though. I know they were inexpensive and I can tell you they work GREAT! They put out as much light as the stock headlight I think. I wired mine in with my high beam switch. Their aim is as near perfect for me as I'd need, so no adjustment was necessary.

If I find the thread, I'll post a link here to it.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    The bear slayer!

I have the VisionX Solstice lights that Pro Cycle sells and im very happy with them.

I have the LED headlight on order too. Cant wait to see how much light ill have with both on.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

I too put that Mondo kit on my Stelvio a couple years back when the OEM POS lights literally fell apart. Unfortunately I did not do any night riding before I traded the bike. They were a lot cheaper than Denalis and were very unobtrusive. They were also new in the LED line. Since then I have found the same on Amazon for next to nothing sans the "kit." I have also found out that they all seem to be Cree, and there are different fields of view. Spot as opposed to flair. Since then I think light output has also increased. Rick at Adventuretech sells them kitted, knows the ins and out and would certainly return or replace no questions asked.

The Solstice lights from ProCycle are exactly the same as the Denalis from Twisted Throttle, so yeah, they're awesome.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Good info to have from a guy who has tried them. I appreciate it. And I don't blame you for holding a grudge.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Sponosred Links