Extra power
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Extra power

I just picked up a 08 TW200 yesterday with only 120 miles, I love the thing but was hoping to squeeze a few extra HP out of it. Any ideas? does the exhaust help or is it just added noise mostly?
    2005 R6

2008 TW200

I finally found a TW locally that was a good deal. I too would like to know what is recommended for extra power, without sacrificing reliability and too much fuel economy. My bike has had work done to it, including a 225 head/piston, K&N filter (cut up airbox), and 250 Ninja muffler. I had just begun to research the modifications when I found this forum. I would love to hear opinions on whether or not these things are harmful to the engine or even worth the extra noise that the different muffler makes. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Are you looking for more top end speed? = Smaller rear sprocket or bigger front sprocket (Stock is 14/50)

Are you looking for more low end grunt? = Bigger rear sprocket or smaller front sprocket

Check Out Sprocket Calculator

A FMF pipe will give you a slight speed boost downhill but the change in torque curve will hurt you going balls out uphill.

A little bit of overall increase? = Carb jet change and needle shimming

Biggest mod I could do for my bikes performance is if I went on a diet and lost 30lbs
    800tech and Old n dirty like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well, stock sprockets, mine seems to wind out at 63 mph/107kph and gets between 62-90 mpg depending on speed/winds. So, with your bigger displacement/loud pipe etc, do you see a difference? I'd love to hear if it gains any mph or loes a lot of mpg compared to my stock setup.
    1998 Yamaha TW 200

Computer addicts never die, they just go offline

Quote Originally Posted by adavis View Post
    I finally found a TW locally that was a good deal. I too would like to know what is recommended for extra power, without sacrificing reliability and too much fuel economy. My bike has had work done to it, including a 225 head/piston, K&N filter (cut up airbox), and 250 Ninja muffler. I had just begun to research the modifications when I found this forum. I would love to hear opinions on whether or not these things are harmful to the engine or even worth the extra noise that the different muffler makes. Any input would be great. Thanks.

I'd start with the carb. See if it's been messed with at all. Look for a larger main jet, and see if the needle has been shimmed via small washers. Any muffler for these bikes, will yield very little in the way of power. Even with carb work, they seem to boost the midrange and upper range, mainly the upper range(6K RPM's and up). It's up to you to decide if it's worth the noise or not. If the carb has been tuned properly, no harm will come to the engine. If the carb is still stock, then it's most likely running FAR too lean, and that will cause problems in short order. And once you richen up the carb, you will lose MPG. How much MPG will you lose is tough to say. Too many variable, like riding conditions and the tune itself.
    2009 Yamaha TW200

2006 Yamaha FZ6

I should have explained more about my carb. I has been "worked on". There are about 4 washers on the main needle and the main jet is a #135. I found a crack in the intake boot immediately and am getting that replace so that might have been the reason for such a large main. The bike starts up immediately even when cold and idles great. I just want to make sure I'm not ruining the bike with the mods that are on it (exhaust, K&N). I have ridden it back and forth to work for a couple days and the thing goes great. In fact I ride it between 55-60 mph but figured I'd see what it could do and I backed off when I hit 70! That seemed crazy for this bike after everything I've read from other owners.

If the K&N is a "safe" mod, what exactly do you do with the airbox? Do you eliminate it or just cut it to shreds? Mine has been really cut up, but the filter doesn't quite fit square. Just wondering. Thanks for all the advice.

With 15-47 sprockets my otherwise bone stock '90 does 70MPH indicated easy. From what I've read most of the exhaust mods are just eye candy and some like the noise better.
    If your only tool is a hammer

Everything looks like a nail

My modified exhaust (as seen in avatar) replaces the stock spark arrestor. It is made from sweated copper plumbing fittings and a stainless steel mesh screen tip. With the screen tip on it is real close to the stock sound and produces a little stronger air flow. With the tip removed it is a little louder and produces much more air flow. Only carb changes made was 2.5 turns out on the needle. Plug looks fine. I also replaced the stock mounting screw by anti-seezed allen bolt. This works fine for my riding 3500' to 5000'.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

jvt
    After break in I had a surge of power .Not much but noticeable. Still could use 50cc and a extra gear but then it wouldn't be priced like a TW.
    800tech likes this.

Sebastian can source a stroker crank and bore kit, up to 300cc. Requires boring the case and head. TTR 6-speed trans and clutch can be fitted on a modified TW countershaft. Big bore 250cc TTR engine from xr100.com complete from carb to exhaust can be had. you must provide the engine to the builder for mods, then refit the TTR parts with the modded TW countershaft, then stuff it all in the TW cases. That'll about double your horsepower, and kill your reliability.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links