disc brake conversion
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: disc brake conversion

Hey everybody, brand new guy to the forum. I'm not a stranger to forums so i know i'll probably get beat up a little bit but i've spent about 2 hours on here looking and cannot find a thread on converting drum brake bikes to disc brake. can somebody point me to a thread on the subject or give a little advice please.

how much do you think i'm looking at? it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to swap a fork (or do i need to do them both), is it really worth it? (i have an 87)....you know all the regular stuff....also if somebody wouldn't mind telling me...

is there stuff that really SHOULD be updated on an 87 (just got it) to newer model stuff and stuff that SHOULDN'T. (ie lighting, alternator, carb, etc). thanks for the help everybody!

Disc brake conversion requires lower left fork leg ( fork tubes and right fork leg are all the same) front wheel with disc, master cylinder with hose, splicing of brake light switch wires (old style plug soldered to new style switch) and ideally the newer kill/starter switch. Your starter button will end up pointing downward with the old style.

Any charging system and wiring harness from a later bike can be retrofitted to an '87, but it's not very cost effective or simple unless you have a complete parts bike. Piece of cake with a parts bike, if everything is there. One '87 CDI unit will cost as much as a wrecked TW, if you shop patiently.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I have a couple 87's. heres my nickles worth of info

disc brakes a good/neat to have but these are 200cc trail bike. If you want to do it and have the cash gofor it. You need the brake perch w/ resevoir master cylinder, brake line, shocks with brake mounts & slave rim with rotor, go to one of the OEM drawings toget the part numbers..

Carb is a good unit keep it clean (rebuild it) keep it clean, new air filter keep it clean., 2.5 turns out idle needle, keep it clean. depending on elvation a new jet keep it clean. i have 114 and 116 keep it clean

Electical is poor at best. You need a good agm style battery, change glass fuse to blade stlye 10 amp, I put in led flasher, turn signals, brake and license lights to save on th minimum charging capacity, will change headlight soon.

Went from a 50t stock sprocket to a 55t. Love it, I think I would love a 58 59 even more. You will loose top end but Im fine with that. I like low end grunt

Check the valve, one 87 was perfect, the othere was toooo tight.

Lube all cable and go have fun

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by demarko69 View Post
    .... and go have fun

Zackly.

But if you plan to keep it forever, bear in mind that the electrical issue will need to be dealt with at some point, and replacing it with '87 stuff is throwing good munny after bad, IMO. Otherwise the bike is as good as any other year. Discs on a TW are overrated.

Go have fun.

Last edited by goldenhtr; 07-24-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Cool thanks guys....i kind of figured the brakes weren't really going to be a big deal. i mostly plan on using it to putt around on and then actually use it on trails and for hunting and stuff. probably 75/25, trail/ street. I have a gsxr 750 for the street so don't really need to ride the tw on the street if you know what i mean..just wondered if the drums would leave me wanting while in the mtns.

i'm in boise so we're at 3k feet and i'll probably be up as high as 7k+ or so at times...any recommendation on the jetting for that would be appreciated. and so you're sayin to keep the carb clean? lol got it! ha

with the re-gearing, i know on street bikes you can go down one in front and up two in the back with stock length chain, is that pretty much the rule on these too? i also do plan on going to a smaller pitch (520 chain when i get a new one here soon so any advice on that is welcome but i know i ran across that stuff while looking for the brakes).

electrical upgrade....so do i just need to get a new fuse block for that or do you have any more specific info on that? i think the guy i just got it from has a brand new battery in it but i noticed that there is a HUGE drop in the lighting at idle and the blinkers alternate about as fast as a three legged turtle attempting to cross a lake of molasses!! i do plan on upgrading the lighting with some off-road lights and such so any help in this department will be HUGELY appreciated!!

thanks guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by bwiygul View Post
    Cool thanks guys....i kind of figured the brakes weren't really going to be a big deal. i mostly plan on using it to putt around on and then actually use it on trails and for hunting and stuff. probably 75/25, trail/ street. I have a gsxr 750 for the street so don't really need to ride the tw on the street if you know what i mean..just wondered if the drums would leave me wanting while in the mtns.

i'm in boise so we're at 3k feet and i'll probably be up as high as 7k+ or so at times...any recommendation on the jetting for that would be appreciated. and so you're sayin to keep the carb clean? lol got it! ha

with the re-gearing, i know on street bikes you can go down one in front and up two in the back with stock length chain, is that pretty much the rule on these too? i also do plan on going to a smaller pitch (520 chain when i get a new one here soon so any advice on that is welcome but i know i ran across that stuff while looking for the brakes).

electrical upgrade....so do i just need to get a new fuse block for that or do you have any more specific info on that? i think the guy i just got it from has a brand new battery in it but i noticed that there is a HUGE drop in the lighting at idle and the blinkers alternate about as fast as a three legged turtle attempting to cross a lake of molasses!! i do plan on upgrading the lighting with some off-road lights and such so any help in this department will be HUGELY appreciated!!

thanks guys!!

Forget adding lights or any other extra load to the lighting circuit of an '87. The '87 uses a separate lighting coil, like a dirtbike, and that's the reason your lights dim and brighten with rpm. It is what it is, and can barely support a 35 watt headlight. If anything you want to reduce as many of your loads wherever possible with L.E.D. stuff as demarko has done.

Make sure some P.O. hasn't popped in a 55/60 or something with higher wattage, and if they have, yank it off the bike.

You'll wanna have fun, and preserve those hard-to-find electrical parts.

Last edited by goldenhtr; 07-24-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I put in led flasher, turn signals, brake and license lights to save on th minimum charging capacity, will change headlight soon.

demarko

what led replacement bulbs did you find? What source(s)?

what headlight options have you found?

thanks, John

Quote Originally Posted by bend42 View Post
    demarko

what led replacement bulbs did you find? What source(s)?

what headlight options have you found?

thanks, John
    Im a hacker, made my own, but Azsandrider bought a plugin tail/brake/license for 17-20 bucks ask him

led turn signal, are $15 a pair most cycle shops/ebay, you will need a dummy load or a led flasher.

i use a blade fuse because they are more available on the trail....... does not help anything in the system.

headlight, still working on that

...headlight, still working on that

There are two ways to a better headlight. One is higher wattage, the other is a bigger reflector. Higher wattage is not a wise option on an '87, so back when mine had the '87 charging system I installed the huge headlight from an old Goldwing.

My bike has worn all 3 charging systems at this point, but I still run a 35/35 headlight in the larger housing and it's perfectly adequate. Quite a few old Jap bikes had 7" and 8" square and round headlights and are easily adapted.

Last edited by goldenhtr; 07-24-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bwiygul View Post
    Hey everybody, brand new guy to the forum. I'm not a stranger to forums so i know i'll probably get beat up a little bit but i've spent about 2 hours on here looking and cannot find a thread on converting drum brake bikes to disc brake. can somebody point me to a thread on the subject or give a little advice please.

how much do you think i'm looking at? it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to swap a fork (or do i need to do them both), is it really worth it? (i have an 87)....you know all the regular stuff....also if somebody wouldn't mind telling me...

is there stuff that really SHOULD be updated on an 87 (just got it) to newer model stuff and stuff that SHOULDN'T. (ie lighting, alternator, carb, etc). thanks for the help everybody!

Drum brake is actually lighter, and if set/functioning properly it doesn't brake enough worse than the disk to warrant the conversion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links