Is there a Best Skid Plate?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Is there a Best Skid Plate?

I have seen a few different skid plates out there. Is there a conclusive answer on which one is the best for our T Dub?

Here are the three I have seen:

TCI...expensive...but fully protecting the engine

MSR...similar to the Ricochet

and the Ricochet:

Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

I'm certainly happy with the Ricochet. A while back the company was offering 10% discounts to forum members too.

Does the TCI one come with the engine guards or are they an additional expense?

Quote Originally Posted by turborob View Post
    Does the TCI one come with the engine guards or are they an additional expense?

The TCI plate comes with the guards at a hefty $239.00, however it's extremely sturdy and even moreso when you put the guards on. The guards themselves are tough to get on since you have to thread the lower side nuts with the skid plate already mounted up. Tom was nice enough to send me the kit for free since I helped introduce the idea to him I guess.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

For the price, its hard to beat Ricochet...I have it on my TW and use it often on our rocky Az trails...
    T. Wight

Mesa, Az.

1994 TW200

& other toys...

The bars are part of the plate. That's our bike in TCI's ad.

There is NO comparison to be made between the TCI plate and the other two, either in materials or in concept. and it costs accordingly.

I recently hit a large, immovable rock that was jutting out of the ground at about a 45 degree angle going about 10 mph. The bike came to a full stop on the rock. The full impact hit the forward part of the TCI bars and the bike stopped dead in its tracks.

The angle of the hit would have taken out the entire right side of the motor with any other skidplate. The TCI bars were bent rearward about 1/16" and there was no other damage.

It's spendy, and I'm not saying the others are neccessarily inadequate, only that they don't compare. If you can swing the cost I'd advise you to get one.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

[quote name='lizrdbrth' date='17 May 2011 - 08:11 PM' timestamp='1305688269' post='18674']

There is NO comparison to be made between the TCI plate and the other two, either in materials or in concept. and it costs accordingly.

I recently hit a large, immovable rock that was jutting out of the ground at about a 45 degree angle going about 10 mph. The bike came to a full stop on the rock. The full impact hit the forward part of the TCI bars and the bike stopped dead in its tracks.

The angle of the hit would have taken out the entire right side of the motor with any other skidplate. The TCI bars were bent rearward about 1/16" and there was no other damage.

It's spendy, and I'm not saying the others are neccessarily inadequate, only that they don't compare. If you can swing the cost I'd advise you to get one.

I wish I had Santa's address AND he could visit in June...
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post

Sounds like you're a stakeholder; is it your company?

I assume removal is quick to access the oil filter?

Quote Originally Posted by turborob View Post
    Sounds like you're a stakeholder; is it your company?

I assume removal is quick to access the oil filter?

lizrdbrth is the guy who volunteered his bike to be fitted with the setup. If it weren't for him giving up his TW for a couple weeks we wouldn't have the product. I lived a bit too far away to drop mine off, so I got on here and found someone willing.

Removal isn't too bad. The bars are just tricky to get back on with standard wrenches. It's worth the extra few minutes though.

I just ordered a ricochet and used "atvmag25" as a discount code and I got 10% off. It was $88 shipped. Hopefully I get it friday. Anything is better than the stamped "soda can "stock one. I might try and make the side ones.

Sorry for bringing-back an old thread but I just ordered a Ricochet skid plate for my '07 TW and the ATVMag25 discount code still works!

Kevin
    '04 TW - Ricochet skid plate, IMS pegs, Odyssey battery, Seat Concepts seat, wide front tire. Geared low N' Slow Hidden Content

Honda Grom
    KTM 990 Adventure

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links