License plate setups
Close

Hi all,

Shortly after I purchased my TW, I took the plastics off and mounted my plate with an aftermarket tail light directly under the rear edge of the seat. This worked fine for a while, but a few times the plate caught and rubbed on the tire. Finally, it got caught while I was riding two up, and ripped the whole tail light and plate mount off of the bike and crumpled my plate accordion-style.

I'm wondering what other people who have shed the stock plastic are doing to keep their plate safe and out of harms way. Any particular mounts or mods that worked for people, or should I just bend my plate further so it clears?

Thanks!

i have seen tags mounted on chain guards before.just a idea.

shawn
    not a TW owner but i play one on this forum.

Per your plate comments...

I actually cut off the bottom of the black plastic just under the light then screwed the plate up on top of the fender.

I cannot figure out how to attach photos to this new page. If you reply to me to my regular email, I can attach a photo

of my rear fender/plate fabrication.

Brock in AZ

[email protected]
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    Per your plate comments...

I actually cut off the bottom of the black plastic just under the light then screwed the plate up on top of the fender.

I cannot figure out how to attach photos to this new page. If you reply to me to my regular email, I can attach a photo

of my rear fender/plate fabrication.

Brock in AZ

[email protected]

To post photos simply upload to a photobucket account and copy and past the img code.

So, for the moment at least, I have a solution that has been working... Mainly involving bending the tag out of the line of fire, and bolting it to a bar of LEDs I'm going to use as my tail/brake light.

Have me make you an extended swing arm to get the tire further away from the plate. Also, I don't know where you live, but the law in my area would have me stopped in seconds if they couldn't read my plate from behind.

I'm definitely going with an extended swingarm down the line, i absolutely LOVE that look. How much are you asking? Does the added leverage of a longer swingarm necessitate a stiffer or taller shock, or is the difference negligible?

As for the tag, you can read it from eye/car level, that pic was taken from below... police in DC don't really care about bikes at all though, they hardly even enforce the helmet law from what I've seen (though I still wear mine). When I was younger and stupider I used to ride an unregistered CBR600 and, extremely fortunately, never got hassled even when I had NO tag.

Its 300 bucks plus return shipping. That will cover ya up to a 10 inch stretch. As far as a stiffer shock, I don't know. With a 3" it isn't needed.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsonsgccc View Post
    i have seen tags mounted on chain guards before.just a idea.

shawn
    Hi Shawn,

I cut off the bottom of my plate piece and mounted it on the back of my fender. Personally, I think the back of the bike looks better without the plate hanging way down.http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...%20200/010.jpg

Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links