Extended Swingarm Brake Rod Fix
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Extended Swingarm Brake Rod Fix

Ok, for those of you running extended swingarms how did you solve the short rear brake rod issue?

I've seen McMaster selection of hardware and thought about building one, but has anyone ever cut the rod in the middle and welded on an extension? My thought is you could build a sleeve to go around it, then crimp and weld?

Thoughts?

thanks Josh
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjosh View Post
    Ok, for those of you running extended swingarms how did you solve the short rear brake rod issue?

I've seen McMaster selection of hardware and thought about building one, but has anyone ever cut the rod in the middle and welded on an extension? My thought is you could build a sleeve to go around it, then crimp and weld?

Thoughts?

thanks Josh

The brake rod works under tension, so flexing isn't an issue. Cut the rod and weld a piece of similar diameter overlqapping the cut ends. good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    The brake rod works under tension, so flexing isn't an issue. Cut the rod and weld a piece of similar diameter overlqapping the cut ends. good enough.

Thanks Qwerty, I'll drop off the brake rod with the swing arm when I have my old bike frame builder strech it.

josh

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjosh View Post
    Thanks Qwerty, I'll drop off the brake rod with the swing arm when I have my old bike frame builder strech it.

josh

I just took a look at some of my "stock" here. Oddly enough all of these Yamahas (and probably quite a few others) use essentially the same rod, only varying in length and the amount of threading on the end: Stock TW rod 21". Virago 920 24", Virago 750 24", XT600 23", etc. All are the same diameter rod and use the same clevis pin on the brake pedal end.

Welding one is fine, but if you had access to the Virago rod it could be a bolt-on option for a 3" stretch.

trktwo and macbig2k1 like this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    I just took a look at some of my "stock" here. Oddly enough all of these Yamahas (and probably quite a few others) use essentially the same rod, only varying in length and the amount of threading on the end: Stock TW rod 21". Virago 920 24", Virago 750 24", XT600 23", etc. All are the same diameter rod and use the same clevis pin on the brake pedal end.

Welding one is fine, but if you had access to the Virago rod it could be a bolt-on option for a 3" stretch.

A longer replacement would be a cleaner option than a welded rod. I wedged a branch between the brake rod and swing arm on a Honda, breaking the rod. I replaced the rod with a piece of bailing wire to finish the enduro. Worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post

Thanks, I'll see what I can find.

Josh

Let us know if you find one that works.

I still haven't got around to stretching my swingarm, so I can't tell for sure.

A lot of 80's and 90's Yamahas had drum brakes. I would guess that the Viragos, Maxxims and bigger road bikes would have the longer rods due to their long wheelbases.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I plan on using a coupling nut, some allthread, and 2 jam nuts

Quote Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
    I plan on using a coupling nut, some allthread, and 2 jam nuts

Yeah my rod is pretty much bent up after all these years. I will check out the other bikes listed earlier. I never thought about bigger bikes for the added length I think I will go for the longer swing arm myself. I have heard Japan makes a six inch bolt up kit?

very helpful post, sorry I'm bringing it back from the dead
    Heli-Mech and macbig2k1 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links