My Sticky entry
Close

Thread: My Sticky entry

DIY powder coating.

Some of you may know that I'm restoring a little old Yamaha TW 200. Well, lots of the parts are rusty and beat up and after doing a little research, I found that it's fairly simple to powder coat at home with very little invested.

On Friday, I picked up the last thing I needed to give this a go... a sandblast cabinet (Craigslist find). This antique is homemade but it works amazingly well and can fit semi-large items, unlike many of the bench top models.

Turned these...

Into...

Bare metal very quickly!

Now into the cardboard box for application of high voltage powder with $60 Eastwood powder coating gun. You can get your powder on E-Bay as well. It looks gray, but it's semi-gloss black. There are zillions of colors available.

Into the free Craigslist oven (cracked glass top) for 25 minutes at 400 degrees.

Brackets ready for another 20 years of dirt roads.

Nice curves!

Honestly, this was about $150 invested in tools including the sandblaster, free oven and Eastwood Hot Coat powder coating gun from eBay. Compressor only needs 20PSI so your avg. shop compressor is just fine.

The process is also pretty stupid-proof. I highly recommend it if you have the need and the space!

BIG THANK YOU Goes out to Catamount for this info. Resurrected from the old site so all can see just how easy this can be done on a small budget.

Here is a great DIY site that helps you along the way, and has a couple videos to watch.

http://powderperfect.com/diy.asp

Tracy

Goldenhtr
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

Powder is easy. The secret is a dry, clean source of compressed air. If you mess up the application a little compressed air will blow it off and you can try again. Repeat until satisfied. Until you cook it.

Thanks! Glad you liked my post. I also mention it in my build thread, linked below. I encourage all of you to try it at home.
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    Thanks! Glad you liked my post. I also mention it in my build thread, linked below. I encourage all of you to try it at home.

Thanks Catamount, I found your original post while going through some of the old sites posts. Everyone should go back and see some of the stuff at the old site. There is some good posts still active with pics. Thought yours was worth re posting. This is something I would like to get into at some point. My brother in law has a large blasting shop for the larger stuff. Thought it would be cool to have something like this setup in my shop.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

Sponosred Links