It's radical tyre time.
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    There comes a point when every TW owner with a welder decides to fit a radical tyre.

Today, it's my turn....wish me luck.

We're in 'Bat Country' now....

BOOM!=BAD! VERY bad. This can not be stressed enough. Be careful mounting that sucker.

Other'n that, welcome to The Dark Side.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Have fun and keep us posted!

After some of the mud pics you have posted, I expect you'll like that tire!

I am contemplating the same thing, but need the DOT legal Maxxis. . .

Ride On, Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Straight down to work, first thing, sensible tyre off and compare it to crazy tyre....Yep, looks pretty stupid!!

New tyre went on the rim much easier than expected, just used some small levers, lots of lube and 60psi to seat it.......looks ridiculous...

(you can see the monster front that I fitted last week that got me rolling into this adventure.

Tyre to swinging arm clearance??? um, none, time to get chopping!!!! I'd better look back over the old posts and find out what I need. Was it +2" extension, longer shock, bigger sprocket, etc ????.....

I've got the arm out and I'm off down to the chop shop after dinner, wish I washed the bike before I got started, duh!!!

"New tyre went on the rim much easier than expected, just used some small levers, lots of lube and 60psi to seat it......."

"Tyre to swinging arm clearance??? um, none, time to get chopping!!!!"

Thank you for being so thorough. This is exactly the sort of info that should accompany an ATV tire thread.

Add the Carlisle to the list of tires which seat at less-than-lethal pressures.

How's chain and chainguard clearance?

2" should be adequate. Beyond that you start to affect handling significantly, which is either a good or bad thing, depending on your riding. If it's mostly mud I suspect you'll want to keep it short.

I destroyed my Bighorn by not lengthening the swingarm. An embarassingly small rock found itself wedged between the tread face and the crotch of the swingarm, tearing the middle lugs from the tire 10 minutes into the first ride. While you can squeak by if you just lengthen the chain and set the axle back, it's a real crud catcher. Yours is definitely the right approach.

You can recalculate your rear sproceket by plugging the ACTUAL total mounted diameter of the ATV tire into the calculator in polace of the stock tire's info.

I added a couple of teeth to compensate for the added rolling resistence, but others have not and are perfectly happy.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Chain guard clearance is 'generous'. Which is nice because it is one less thing to chop up.

I remembered your tyre ripping story Lizrdbrth when I was calculating the risk of just a longer chain.

It took me about five seconds to decide to go all the way and stretch the swinging arm.

The new tyre has got a much greater rolling circumference which will effect the gearing, I'll probably take a wild arsed guess and go for 55.

Also it is much heavier which will probably overload the already pitiful rear shock, some thought needed here.

Here's where I am tonight:

I'll weld it up tomorrow.

Bagger, do the police check your tyre approval?

This Carlise states 'not for highway use' which I'll grind off.

On most occasions our police will look at what it does say, not what it doesn't....i.e, if it doesn't have a DOT mark they don't seem to worry too much (unless you've just run someone over)

Are you going to put some tubing inside for reinforcement? Unfortunately the pictures are gone, but in this post Ronnydog tells what he used inside. 3/16" wall tubing is probably overkill for most people, but going with tubing inside will back up your welds so there is less chance of burning through, and of course will make the swingarm much stronger and straighter.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Hi

good idea but I think it would be wiser to put a longer swingarm

please keep up informed

cheers
    Please contact member MichaelC from San Diego Cal. before asking info or putting comments about tuning parts, motorcycle customization and everything linked to TW in Japan. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mame Shiba View Post
    Hi

good idea but I think it would be wiser to put a longer swingarm

please keep up informed

cheers

Long swingarms put a ton more weight over the front end. Desirable on the street, but creating a lot of work for the offroad rider. About the only place where they shine offroad is in near-vertical hillclimbs.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I think Mame means it would be safer to use a one piece construction?

So anyway, here's how it went down in the workshop yesterday morning.....

I quickly jigged up the extensions......

tacked them in place.....

Welded all round....notice the blow hole where I got a bit carried away!!!......

Added some external bracing....

and replaced one of the chain guard mounts..

More to follow..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links