New Stuff on the TDub !
Close

Got my HandleBar risers, tusk brush guards and new grips on today. Didn't get a chance to ride tonight to test out the bar risers yet, but the grips feel lots better.

Thanks to the advice again from here on how to get the old ones off - spray inside of old with wd-40 and they both slid right off! sprayed bars with the Girlfriends Rave 4x mega hold hairspray and they are nice and tight ! ( That's what I used to do on my BMX bikes).

I'll post some pics in the morning when I have some light.

Nice. I can't wait to get my handlebar risers. I added a set of mirror riser/extenders, and they work nicely but still not high enough for me. Seeing the picture of your handlebars with the risers on, I think that will work out great on mine. Not only will the mirrors sit perfectly, but I like the idea of not having to bend over so much to use my handlebars.

I also would like new grips as I don't much care for the factory ones. Not sure I'll get the ones you have since I don't much care for the skulls, but I know someone else posted some grips that a lot of folks swear by, so I may just go that route.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Thanks to the advice again from here on how to get the old ones off - spray inside of old with wd-40 and they both slid right off! sprayed bars with the Girlfriends Rave 4x mega hold hairspray and they are nice and tight ! ( That's what I used to do on my BMX bikes).

Question -- If you use WD40 to get the grips off, don'tcha have to clean it off pretty good before putting on the new grips so they don't slide all over? What do you use to clean it off? I'm assuming the hairspray allows you to slide the grip on when it's wet, but dries sticky and so helps hold the grips in place, yes?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wiped it down with simple green.

Yes, on the hairspray. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Wiped it down with simple green.

Yes, on the hairspray. : )
    Try using spray paint. The grips stay on better when they get wet. To remove, insert a small flathead screwdriver in between the grip and the bar. (at least 3/4 inside) Then insert the small red tube (that comes with a can of contact cleaner or WD-40) along side the screwdriver inside the grip. Then remove the screwdriver, leaving the red tube in. Attach the tube to a can of contact cleaner, and give it a short spray. Leave the red tube in, and twist the grip. If it does not completly break free, give it another quick spray. Your grip should come off intact. The surface inside the grip and the bar should still be slightly tacky, no prep is needed. When you are ready to reattach the grip, (or put on new ones) spray the bar, and the inside of the grip with spray paint. Be generous with the paint. It sets up quick, but the grip can be turned where you want it. Any residual paint on the grip or bar can be removed by simply spraying it off with contact cleaner. You can use any color with good results.

Sponosred Links