Lower seat position on 2009 TW
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Lower seat position on 2009 TW

My wife is short. Her 2009 TW is too tall for her to reach the ground comfortably (I too am short but at 5"8" I easily flat-foot my 2008 TW). I would like to reduce the seat height on her 2009 such that she can place both feet firmly on the ground while on a level surface. She needs at least 2 inches of height reduction. One thought that I've had is to simply remove foam from the seat. I am looking for any thoughts or direction on this issue. Thank you, Brad

My wife is short also. I put a VStar 1100 rear shock in and pushed the forks up a 1.5" and she loves the bike.I got all the info from this sight. Good luck

You can drill a second set of shock mount holes lower in the swingarm and keep the stock shock.. Search the old forum for pics. It's fairly easy to go overboard with this, so check the forum for hole placement first.

TW seats suck already. lol. She might hate you if you shave it.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by boylstonrider View Post
    My wife is short also. I put a VStar 1100 rear shock in and pushed the forks up a 1.5" and she loves the bike.I got all the info from this sight. Good luck

Not certain I understand pushing the forks up ... do you happen to have a photo of what you've done?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BNAllen View Post
    Not certain I understand pushing the forks up ... do you happen to have a photo of what you've done?

Thanks!

Loosen the bolts on the triple trees and slide the forks up in the trees, then clamp the bolts down. This lowers the front of the bike to match the drop from the shorter shock in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Loosen the bolts on the triple trees and slide the forks up in the trees, then clamp the bolts down. This lowers the front of the bike to match the drop from the shorter shock in the back.

You want this, whichever way you lower it.

So be sure to do a before and after measurement of the rear from the center of the axle to a reference point like the bottom edge of the seat so you'll know how much to lower the front.

Rimrattle likes this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    You want this, whichever way you lower it.

So be sure to do a before and after measurement of the rear from the center of the axle to a reference point like the bottom edge of the seat so you'll know how much to lower the front.
    Easy enough. Thanks for the advice. Looks like I can drill about 3/4" on the shock mount ... this will lower the seat by 2-3 inches??? Then, I'll lower the front by a similar amount.

be careful not to lower to the point the tire hits the triple trees. Locking the front wheel on a big bump sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by BNAllen View Post
    My wife is short. Her 2009 TW is too tall for her to reach the ground comfortably (I too am short but at 5"8" I easily flat-foot my 2008 TW). I would like to reduce the seat height on her 2009 such that she can place both feet firmly on the ground while on a level surface. She needs at least 2 inches of height reduction. One thought that I've had is to simply remove foam from the seat. I am looking for any thoughts or direction on this issue. Thank you, Brad

I gained 1/2 inch by going to the cobbler and adding 1/2 inch lift to the soles of my riding boots. It was easy to do and not that expensive.

Just a thought. PM me if you want a picture of my boots.

Mike

rurlndum likes this.
    The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

I'd like to drill the holes in the swingarm and lower the rear shock to lower the seat height for my wife but I can't find any old posts with pictures or any details. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links