Handlebar switches
Close

Does anyone know of some good aftermarket handlebar switches. I have an 87' looking to replace mine. Will there be a problem with electric wiring? Looking for same functions as stock (start, run and stop) for right side and hi/lo, turn signals and horn for left side. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

not only interested in aftermarket. If you know of a good site or place to get a good deal on stock switches too.

There are some but some are pricey and some are down right insultingly simple and ugly. There is one that is basically toggle switches. You drill out the bars struggle to put them in. The other is ridiculously expensive and are hidden. Exile cycle makes them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Like rising sun says there are some realy cool custom intergrated switches into grips with internal wiring, but super expensive.

My switches looked old so I bought some second hand TW switches that look new and where cheap. EBAY

I had to mess with the wiring to adapt to lighting and electrics on my bike. I decided to use some Chrome sleaving to cover the wires instead of the black plastic when i put it back together.

Easyer than running through the bars. still not finished it but here's a pic. Good stuff for covering pipes and cables too.

My link

Thanks for the suggestions. Rising Sun the switches integrated into the grips are really cool, but really expensive and I just need something thats practical. Like yours were bangkokbonk my switches are just old and worn out. I'll keep searching ebay for some less expensive ones to replace mine with. Thanks for the link, it really does dress up the bike.

Lots of Yamahas use the same switches.

Most of the left side switches are the same as XT's and most of the small displacement street bikes in that time frame. The right side controls are restricted to those models with drum brakes. The ones intended for disc brakes have the starter button oriention in a different location due to the master cylinder, and the ones for some of the very early bikes like kick-only XT600's don't have a starter button feature, but are otherwise identical. Post-'2000 TW switch gear will have the wrong orientaion for your bike.

Larger Yamaha street bikes tended to use different controls with built-in choke levers, 4-way flashers, etc.

However, I've rarely found a set of these switches which couldn't be saved with a good cleaning of the contacts and some dielectric grease on the sliders and detents. Worth a shot if yours are junk.

The first time you take them apart I recomend you unplug them, remove them completely from the bike and dissassemble them inside a cardboard box. The switches are embarassingly simple once you get them apart, but there's a risk of losing the detent balls, a tiny little spring and the screws holding them together are quite small. Once you see how they're assembled they're rock simple, it's just that nothing in there is gunna be a Home Depot item if you lose it.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bangkokbonk, that's a really nice looking setup you've got there. Very clean.

Well I found a really clean set up,but it comes with a price. Joker Machine

Pjungnitsch thanks for the link those are very reasonably priced and look great. Risingsun I really like those switch housings from the joker machine site. Expensive but very clean. Thanks for the help.

Sponosred Links