Tank Mod Finished
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Tank Mod Finished

As a lot of riders want to extend their driving range, I too had this dream. I had pondered the new TW Clarke tank, but didn't want to spend that much money. Mrgizmow had seen my desire for a larger tank and offered a older XT600 tank he once used. The XT600 tank is 2.9 gallons, so this will extend my range should I need it. I should mention that on occasion I would carry extra fuel, but on my trips I've never even had to go on reserve. None the less, I have a little peace of mind with more fuel onboard.

Late summer I finally got around to intstalling it. I used mrgizmows hardware he sent with the tank, and tweaked some more to get it to fit the way I wanted. I've been riding around the last month or two without completly finishing it, but got it done the other day.

Thanks so much Gerry.

Here's the completed tank with an acknowledgement to mrgizmow if you look at the cowling cover.

Front mount modifications.

Rear mount modifications. Lower bracket is for the seat, upper bracket is to secure the tank.

I didn't have to change the seat, but I did carefully trim the side covers some.

Again, thanks goes to mrgizmow and someothers who've gone before to give me some idea's.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Admiral, Could you take a photo of the tank with the side plastics removed? Or better yet tell us whether this tank instead of using the open C brackets similar to the stock tw tank, simply bolts through a thin plastic tab like the new Clarke TW Tank. I was always confused that Gizmow's mod was so different from that I and others used for xt350 tanks and other models. Now I'm suspect that the xt600 tank is quite different in its design and mounting. I ask because I also fell into a ttr350 tank (plastic) that is something like the tank you have (and that size in terms of capacity). If its similar or identical, you and the Giz may have already developed the mod for adapting it to the tw. I'll post a photo of this tank in a few days, just for the recod. I'm up to my ears in coordinating a community book sale this week and swamped until then. I have not tried looking a part numbers to cross compare the xt600 and ttr350, but that would be a good endeavor. Ride safely and enjoy the added range. Tom
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

I too have been thinking over a bigger tank, but not paying an arm and a leg for it, what yamaha tanks fit on the trusty TW with a little modification? XT350, and ?

Danke!
    jtomelliott49 and Dusty 14 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    Admiral, Could you take a photo of the tank with the side plastics removed? Or better yet tell us whether this tank instead of using the open C brackets similar to the stock tw tank, simply bolts through a thin plastic tab like the new Clarke TW Tank.

Tom, Here are some additional photo's, which I think might answer your questions.

Inside the front of the XT600 Tank, with what I think you are referring too as the "C brackets".

Here is the back with the tank mounted. After looking at Ronnydog's thread from 17 May 11 (Larger Gas Tank-XT 350 Tank), it appears the rear of the XT600 is narrower and taller, thus the rear mount is taller than Ronnydog's. After reveiwing his rear mount, and the mount you did in (Synopsis of XT350 Tank), I will try to make a one piece rear mount similar too one of your's, just taller to accommodate the XT600 tank in order to clear the frame.

After your question of the C bracket, I removed my tank to take photo's, and came up with a change. Instead of using the "flange" bracket mrgizmow provided, I put a bolt through the steel plate, added 2 nuts to accommodate the rubber damper for the C brackets, and hacksawed off the remaining bolt. It works. The C brackets on the XT600 are set back further than the stock tank, thus the need to set the damper mounts rearward. I also set them slightly lower so the tank would clear the handlebars in the stock position. If the handlebars were raised I believe the mounts could be set straight back.

jtomelliott49 and PlacerLode like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Whiting View Post
    I too have been thinking over a bigger tank, but not paying an arm and a leg for it, what yamaha tanks fit on the trusty TW with a little modification? XT350, and ?

Danke!

Chip, I'm sure quite a few different tanks could work, but the main one's I know about are the XT600 (mid 80's) and XT350 (year ??).

Mrgizmow offered me the XT600 tank, and since he used it on his TW, I figured I could get it to work also. Actually completing the modification work was easier than trying to "think it thru".

Couple of drawbacks or things to consider if using the XT600 tank. One is that it had a cowling cover to accommodate a oil cooler I believe, in front of the tank. Mrgizmow provided me a template for the covers to "clean up" the look as there is some mounting holes on the tank that would look ugly without the covers. Second, I think the XT350 holds more fuel, (3-XT600 vs. 4-XT350 ?) if that is a concern. Also, I had to trim the side cover plastics which I don't think needs to be done with the XT350 tank.

If presented a choice, I would choose the XT350 as it has a cleaner look and holds more fuel, but both would work with more range no matter what. I'm not gonna change tanks, but maybe I will see if the local motorcycle salvage yard has some old tanks available should other forum members want an alternative to the stock or plastic Clarke tank.

Thanks for the advice! What kind of dog is Georgie? I have a australian shepherd that kind of looks like her. How did you train her to sit on the back?

Thanks.

Chip,

Yea, lots of stock dogs look similar. Georgie was a puppy found by my daughter as a stray when she was "corn topping", so we really don't know the breed for sure. My early guess was a Blue Healer mix, because she has Healer color on her chest, underbelly, and socks, but the black through us off. She is about 7 yrs old now, and this summer on a wagon ride, someone mentioned that she looked like a Schipperke mix (pronounced Skip-er-kee). I had never heard of this breed, but internet photo's seem to confirm this, but we'll never know for sure.

As for training, none. When I started riding the TW when camping, she just hopped on back. After a while I put the cushion on the rack so she would have better grip. Other than that nothing. She been riding on back for several years now. She really likes to ride anything anywhere, ATV, pickup, car. Not tried a boat though. I have too say that I've had a lot of loyal dogs in my life, but Georgie tops them all. She follows me everywhere and sleeps next to my side of the bed (against my wife's wishes of having a dog in the house). Turns out she made a good riding companion too.

Good luck finding a gas tank. If I find something reasonably priced, I'll let you know.

Kris

Like I said, I'm buried with the week from hell with a book sale at the local library, but once clear will show you photos of the ttr tank (not as similar as the xt600 as I suspected, but still an option) and the xt350 mod. I'm convinced that a lot of options exist if you are willing to play around a bit. Tom

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    She is about 7 yrs old now, and this summer on a wagon ride, someone mentioned that she looked like a Schipperke mix (pronounced Skip-er-kee). I had never heard of this breed, but internet photo's seem to confirm this, but we'll never know for sure.

That's funny because I have a Schipperke now and have had 3 others in the past. Great little dogs.

Well, its a new look. I switched my new xt350 OEM tank for the one I had been running for several years. The new one is shiny enough inside to see your reflection and the paint is nearly perfect. It does change the color scheme of my bike, but this too can be changed in the future if it becomes important. Here's the new tank.

For those that need perspective to compare 1.8 gal with 3.14 gal. Heres a side by side.

Here is the ttr 350 tank (this one is a heavy plastic and hence may differ from stock). I believe it is only 2.6 gal. It is a quite distinct mount up but I'm convinced that it could be done.

And a frontal view. It does not have the open c brackets inside the yoke of the tank like the 350 or 200 tanks, but instead a couple of rubber grommets that could be bracketed to the frame with fabricated brackets. The tank is a bit shorter so there is space for seat horn, tank bag or whatever, but I've not investigated fully that option.

BTW - Bagger is the new owner of my old xt350 tank. So the parts continue in the community. Tom
    jtomelliott49 and PlacerLode like this.

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links