Couple questions from a potential buyer
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello gents,

I have been looking for a dual sport bike for a little while now when I came across this (in searching for information to make a honda big wheel street legal, of all things. haha)

I've fallen in love, but as most internet romances, I might change my mind when I meet the lady in waiting.

The closest dealership I can find is 300 miles round trip. The thing is, I'm 320lbs and 6'5". I'm not a fatty, but I'm a big big guy and I'm worried this won't get me into the 60mph range even with the gear change (14 front or 47/45 rear seems common?)

I have to be capable of 60mph to be safe on the roads here. No interstate travel or anything, but it's a 55 where I need 60 to hold the right lane without inciting road rage.

Is this possible? I only ask because I'll be forced to use the gasoline engine for a year or so while I compile all the parts needed to convert it to electric. Once I'm on electric power, I'll be in the 0-60 in roughly 4-5 seconds and 80mph top speed range no problem. Plus it will have enough torque to flip over from a stand still. hehe.

It doesn't seem that anyone has done an electric conversion before. I'm expecting that an extended fork with a hub motor pushing the same size tire is doable.

Now for the questions:

1) Can I get up to 60mph with the stock engine given my 320lb weight.

2) Given I will want some handlebars or spacers, and perhaps even custom peg positioning/shifter relocation, should this bike be relatively comfortable as a medium speed cruiser?

3) What is the width of the rear sway arm?

4) What size is the rear rim?

Thanks a ton! Really appreciate this site! Love the videos (especially the speedometer video showing the modified engine accel, and the guy with the 720p chest mount camera showing his commute!!!)

60 MPH will be no problem for you downwind, downhill, and even maybe on the flat. It won't happen uphill, or into the wind. Also, I would say that at your height, the bike may seem a little small. I am only 5'10" and it seems a little small to me, but I really like that on some of the rocky trails I ride here in AZ. However, I do notice that an ache develops in my knees when I am riding on the highway due to my old age and the lack of highway bars on the TW. Others will have to give you the dimentions you are asking for as I am off to rehab.

As stated above you will make it to 60 MPH in the right conditions but if you are concerned about maintaining speed for safety sake then I'm sorry but you are probably looking at the wrong bike.

Sorry to sound a killjoy but those are the facts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input guys! I hit a local dealership today and the wheelbase/seat height is very close to the honda 230 and that bike is very comfortable for me.

I should have mentioned that I live in the coastal region of South Carolina. The most hilling this will see is if I decide to go genicidal on an ant colony in my front yard.

I am looking for a small/light bike because it will be converted to electric drive.

Quote Originally Posted by chisleu View Post
    Thanks for the input guys! I hit a local dealership today and the wheelbase/seat height is very close to the honda 230 and that bike is very comfortable for me.

I should have mentioned that I live in the coastal region of South Carolina. The most hilling this will see is if I decide to go genicidal on an ant colony in my front yard.

I am looking for a small/light bike because it will be converted to electric drive.

Keep us updated on the conversion, regardless of what bike you go with. Sounds interesting!

Riding two up makes my weight similar to yours and I find it easy to hit 60. I say go for it and you'll never regret it. I live in columbia and the few hils that I run into can be annoying but they are few and far between. The carb mod i'm doing friday should help out with those rarities. Next time i'm down at the beach i might have to look you up about this electric conversion
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) 12" at the axle ends.

4) 4.50 X 14

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

WOT I am hitting 65-67mph. What coastal part of SC? Around here is the same: Speed limit is 55, traffic is 60-65. Mine keeps up just fine. Add me as interested in seeing your electric conversion too. Good luck.
    Custom 1998 TW200 Build Thread Hidden Content | 2003 TW200 | 2009 KLX351

Quote Originally Posted by JdubSC View Post
    Riding two up makes my weight similar to yours and I find it easy to hit 60. I say go for it and you'll never regret it. I live in columbia and the few hils that I run into can be annoying but they are few and far between. The carb mod i'm doing friday should help out with those rarities. Next time i'm down at the beach i might have to look you up about this electric conversion

Jdub, what carb mods are you doing?
    Custom 1998 TW200 Build Thread Hidden Content | 2003 TW200 | 2009 KLX351

edit: something stupid happened on my phone.

I live outside of Myrtle Beach.

that fork is too thin for the easy electric conversion. with a custom fork it would be doable but limited to 65mph at 72 volts iirc. if I went with the conventional motor and chain there would be less room for batteries but a 80mph top speed would be easy. it would also be cheaper.

I will share pics and info if it happens, but nothing I would be doing is original really. I would just be drawing ideas from other projects

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links