12 volt outlet
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 volt outlet

I was thinking of adding a 12 volt outlet on the bike to charge my gps. would the batter have enough power to support that? and do you guys have any recommendations?
    Omnes domum cedite

343 In Memory of our fallen brothers

Not an issue for most low amp loads like cellphones and GPS.

Intermittent use of high-drawing items like air compressors is ok, but may drain the battery in use. Late model bikes prolly should keep the motor running.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Check ebay or amazon. I have an emgo outlet that comes with a cigarette lighter. Like lizard said, try not to run an inflator while the bike is not running. Also, be careful not to leave anything plugged in overnight or you will likely be purchasing a new battery. Once they have been drained past a certain point they will not recharge. Don't ask me how I know this
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JdubSC View Post
    Check ebay or amazon. I have an emgo outlet that comes with a cigarette lighter. Like lizard said, try not to run an inflator while the bike is not running. Also, be careful not to leave anything plugged in overnight or you will likely be purchasing a new battery. Once they have been drained past a certain point they will not recharge. Don't ask me how I know this
    yea i have a older tw and so if i put a outlet in i just have to make sure nothing is plugged into the outlet right? the actual outlet mount can stay plugged in? and yea I know what you mean about leaving stuff plugged in
    Omnes domum cedite

343 In Memory of our fallen brothers

You can run a GPS or a phone charger pretty much continuously. Just unplug them at day's end.

I soldered and heatshrinked ours tee'd into our Battery Tender pigtails. Uses the Tender leads' blade-type fuse. Two birds, one fuse, so ta speak.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    You can run a GPS or a phone charger pretty much continuously. Just unplug them at day's end.

I soldered and heatshrinked ours tee'd into our Battery Tender pigtails. Uses the Tender leads' blade-type fuse. Two birds, one fuse, so ta speak.

For the lazy lizard...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Do a little shopping and you can find these for around five bucks. Or you can just cut, twist and cover like lizard did. I plan on getting a battery tender jr off amazon for $20 and possibly just buying this adapter to plug into my outlet. SUPER EASY! We'll see if I take the lizard approach or the adapter???
    '86 BW80 farkled to size

Here's the basic gist of our outlet wiring. I used the standard Tender plug which mounts to the battery terminals and comes fused. It attaches as normal. The wires going forward go to the outlet, which is permanently mounted to the indicator light housing. The whole thing is heatshrinked, with an added layer of tape.

Excuse the mud. I layed it out on a towel. I don't like you guys well enough to take the whole thing apart right now, but the same fuse covers the Tender when it's hooked up and the outlet when it's not:

There's a downside to having only one outlet. If you fuse it heavily enough for an air compressor you could be overfused for more delicate electronics. Best case would be to have two, or use one of those tender outlets you found, fused for the heavier loads, and reserve the other for GPS and cell use.

This particular brand has held up well. I've left the springs under tension by leaving plugs in there for weeks and it still snaps shut with authority. Think I bought them at a Pilot truck stop a few years ago.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

This is a cool discussion.

I have nothing to add but this: springs don't wear out from being stretched for a long time, they fail from being cycled repeatedly.
    ITCB

All I know is that they aren't all created equal. Other brands went "boing" at some point. Usually way early.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

The emgo outlet I bought has a fuse in the line from the factory. I may just end up doing exactly what you (L did with the pigtails, except my outlet is wired directly to the battery instead of tapping into the lighting wires.

This is the one I got. It has held up well except for the lighter flying out while riding down the road. Never to be found...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ce-full-site=1

On a side note, is the only difference between the battery tender jr. (.75amps) and the battery tender plus (1.25amps) the charge time?

And Lizrdbrth, what are lizrdventz?
    '86 BW80 farkled to size

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links