Back to Stock Tires?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I currently run the original Bighorn on the back and a rear Kenda K779 on the front (which is pretty similar to the K760 that qwerty runs). Off road, these tires rule. In the mud, there is no chance of getting stuck, just give er some throttle and that bighorn paddles thru the worst mudholes. Greasy snotty surface goo, not problem either, the front digs down and the back stays clean. Ok, I digress.

My dirt riding days are almost done as my son is old enough to go with his friends (ie. without me). I've never been into crazy single track riding - just did it with my son so he could learn to ride. My style is more dual sport, with some rough logging roads. As I return to this, I need to rethink my tires. These ATV tires are not what I want on the highway, but I don't really like the stock back tire on muddy logging roads either. I thought about getting a tire groover and modifying the rear stock tire so there more gap in the lugs to throw the mud around. Front tire isn't an issue, I have a maxxis 6006 to go on. It's great on the pavement, but not so nice on muddy logging roads either. I want to ride the pavement til it runs out, gravel til it gets rough and maybe offroad down an old rail bed. If it rains and the gravel gets gooey, I need a tire that can handle it. But I don't think these ATV tires are right for that.

Knowing what I plan to ride, what tires would you use?
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

As boring as it sounds, my choice would be the trusty stock back tire. I like the idea of using the tire groover to make it a bit more aggressive.

I will agree with the knobby knife usage on stock tires. Widening the center line just a bit will give you that little extra bite on the unforeseen mud of sand section. We dont want you getting off for any reason! Less air pressure goes a long way off road....but you already know that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Yamamont View Post
    Less air pressure goes a long way off road....but you already know that.
    Ya, I run 8psi in the bighorn. At first I was concerned about the tire slipping on the rim with that low of pressure and damaging the tube, but it's never been an issue. Considering the difficulty getting it seated, it's no likely going to slip.

I have always wondered what I would do if I had a flat on the bighorn - no way to fix it in the field - difficult enough to get on/off in the shop! Probably could ride it flat though......
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    As boring as it sounds, my choice would be the trusty stock back tire. I like the idea of using the tire groover to make it a bit more aggressive.
    That's where I've landed so far.
    Regards...Wes

Wess, I have been going through the same deliberations but opposite. I have been struggling with the decision of accepting the TW as a TW or helping it be more of a tractor . . . I want more traction, but am unsure what I will have to give up with the ATV tire and if I will consider it a fair trade.

I have been playing with the groover on a couple old tires around the ranch, and looking at the rear tire for ideas on how to open it more. It's coming onto winter and I will be dealing with more mud and slick rocks for the next 6 months, not to mention snow.

I'm just not sure that an appreciable gain in traction can be acheived with the groover. There are some guys on here with experiance grooving the rear, but it seems to me that by the time I open the tire enough to get traction gains, I have reduced the lugs to a point where I'm not loosing traction to the lost spaces.

I would be interested in what you decide, and what you think after you go back to the stocker, if you do.

Thanks,

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

Needs change. In my case my needs led me TOWARD the ATV tire. If I could do without it on a general basis I certainly would. Though it isn't often admitted in here, they have some very negative downsides. When I switched back to stock for our honeymoon the stock tire felt like a vacation.

I think Ronniedog and others on the old site did some grooving on the stock tire with good results.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Perhaps a less aggressive DOT ATV tire would be a good compromise. The K779 is intended for soft conditions, so it features wide gaps between blocks. A similar tire intended for hard surfaces will have more tread blocks and smaller gaps, and could be the a good compromise for you, maybe Kenda's Big Block in 140/80-18?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
    Wess, I have been going through the same deliberations but opposite. I have been struggling with the decision of accepting the TW as a TW or helping it be more of a tractor . . . I want more traction, but am unsure what I will have to give up with the ATV tire and if I will consider it a fair trade.
    Bagger, if you are looking for more of a tractor, I can vouch for the abilities of the tires I currently run. They make my TW a two wheeled quad. Awesome offroad. But I wouldn't want to slab it with these tires, that's why I'm looking for a dual sport tire now.
    Regards...Wes

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Needs change. In my case my needs led me TOWARD the ATV tire. If I could do without it on a general basis I certainly would. Though it isn't often admitted in here, they have some very negative downsides. When I switched back to stock for our honeymoon the stock tire felt like a vacation.

I think Ronniedog and others on the old site did some grooving on the stock tire with good results.
    Like you, I went towards the ATV setup and it's great offroad, no question there. There are many front tire choices now, but not back tires - either stock or ATV. I asked Ronniedog in the past if he every grooved a stocker and he had not.
    Regards...Wes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links