Bridgestone TW302 on the front
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mark In WA

Thread: Bridgestone TW302 on the front

Let me qualify this by saying I am no expert on motorcycles. I love to ride, but I wouldn't even call myself an enthusiast. So take this review for what it is, just my thoughts.

8500 miles on a 6 year old TW31 was starting to scare me. I had the little cracks around the knobs and I started imagining what having a blowout on the front would be like.

I wanted to try the TW302 because the irregular tread pattern looked like it would be quieter and the large knobs looked less flexible which I thought would be good on the street. I think kind of matches the rear TW34 which I will be staying with.

I got the tire in 4.60-18 and used a standard Bridgestone (non Heavy Duty) tube. I've ridden on it a couple weeks. On the way into work yesterday morning I concluded that I absolutely love this tire. I want to be a little careful because I have nothing to compare it to other than the stock tire. I don't think you could put anything on the front of a TW that would be worse than the stock tire.

I had some reservations at first. During quick turns on the street at certain lean angle I felt some feedback through the bars like the tire was trying to straighten back out instead of following the turn. This did not happen on curvy roads, just when turning at intersections. I attributed it to using a rear tire on the front. At the time I was thinking I may have made a big mistake. After a while, I don't know if it went away or I just got used to it but I don't notice it anymore.

The whirring sound from the stock tire is gone. In fact I don't hear any sound from this tire at all. It is smooth and quiet which is a big part of why I like it. There is a huge difference in how the bike responds to grooves in the road. I was afraid of them before and now I am purposely riding on them.

I've ridden the bike almost every day since putting the tire on. I don't know if a tire breaks in somehow or I am just getting familiar with it, but it feels better to me every day. What I really like is that it feels very smooth and stable. There is something about it that gives me confidence to go faster. I am entering turns a lot harder. Cruising at 60-65 is not as tiring as before.

This tire meets my needs exactly. I hardly ever ride off road, but I want to retain the ability to do so. My attraction to the TW is that it is fun to ride due to its nimble, easy handling. This tire makes the TW handle even better on the street and I am sure it will do fine off road, better than the stock tire for sure. After 3 1/2 years with the TW I had been dreaming about a new bike. I've put those thoughts away for the time being.

Mark
    Peterb and Cascade Rider like this.
    '10 Truimph Bonneville Std.

Forget the tire. That there was succinct.

Thanks.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

LX. Hood on roof. Pony wheels. No tag. Hmmmmm?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ex write up Mark, thank you!

Lzrdbrth, didn't you mean . . . "Forget the tire TTWS" ???

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

YD. (Yeah. Dat)

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I'm a little embarrased to admit I had to look up "succinct" to find out what you were saying. So thanks, I'm wearing a big stupid grin imagining I am on some cafe bike.

Qwerty, the car is not as cool as you are imagining. It is an ex police car that I got for close to nothing because it was totaled. The pony wheels with used tires were lot less than it would have cost for new tires . There is no plate because the damage was all in the rear and the car came from out of state. I did get the title transferred to my name so all is good there.

I started out thinking I would fix a few oil leaks and ended up with the short block sitting on a stand. Other priorities (kids) make it hard to justify spending money on too many toys so it has been a slow process. It has been a long time since I've had a V8, manual transmission, rear wheel drive car to play with. I just can't get used to driving fast in front wheel drive cars. Too old to change I guess.

Mark
    '10 Truimph Bonneville Std.

My last Mustang was a '93 LX ragtop with a 408 Windsor, T56, and 9-inch. I'm lucky to have survived that one.

I concur with the choice of the 302. Excellent alternative to the slipping sliding stock front. Try one. You'll like it!
    Huntsville, Alabama - Have TW, Will Ride! All White 09 TW, D2Moto Pegs, Bridgestone 302 front tire, 2" higher bars, 3/4" fork preload spacer, 5wt Honda fork oil, 135mm fork oil level, exhaust tip mod, 2.5 turns out fuel mixture, 0.060 in needle shims, 130 main jet, 14/47 sprockets, 20w-50 Valvoline MC full synthetic oil, ImmixRacing rear rack, Bilt Bag on Rack, 1" front fender spacers, Battery Tender connections on new battery (installed 12/11), Coleman ATV seat cushion, 2 Agri Supply tool tubes, 30oz MSR Fuel Bottle, auxiliary 6 LED tail light, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 headlight bulb, 2357 turn signals, and Superbright's 1157 LED Motorcycle Tail Light Bulb with 19 red & 6 white LEDs. Shortened rear turn signals. Bypassed kickstand switch.

Plus a "new to me" 1995 Yamaha Virago XV 750G for Pavement Purposes!!

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    My last Mustang was a '93 LX ragtop with a 408 Windsor, T56, and 9-inch. I'm lucky to have survived that one.

My last Mustang was a '83 GLX ragtop with a 302/4bbl, and was slow as molasses but made a hell of a racket! Also, lucky to have survived that one, but for vastly different reasons, I'm sure.

Sponosred Links