Performance Cams
Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Performance Cams

Are there any aftermarket cams (racing) for an older (87) TW? If not, does anyone have the specs for a weld and regrind? Is is possible that a performance gain may be realized by using a cam from a particular year TW?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Are there any aftermarket cams (racing) for an older (87) TW? If not, does anyone have the specs for a weld and regrind? Is is possible that a performance gain may be realized by using a cam from a particular year TW?

As far as I know, all TW cams are the same.

I have a webcam camshaft, stage 1, and I like it. Wouldn't mind trying their next stage up, but it requires new springs and I didn't feel like going that route quite yet. They have 3 stages available.

I think the TTR230 cam has some more duration, but for the cost of finding one you'd be better off going with the webcam. But webcams are a hard weld/regrind so if that doesn't appeal to you the options become limited.

My cam was $142 shipped to my door.

Apparently you can't link to the searched webpage for a particular bike, so here is the link to webcams:

http://www.webcamshafts.com/

Pat

edit: my signature has a couple YouTube videos of my acceleration with the setup as listed in the description on the videos.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pgilles View Post

I have a webcam camshaft, stage 1, and I like it. Wouldn't mind trying their next stage up, but it requires new springs and I didn't feel like going that route quite yet. They have 3 stages available.

I think the TTR230 cam has some more duration, but for the cost of finding one you'd be better off going with the webcam. But webcams are a hard weld/regrind so if that doesn't appeal to you the options become limited.

Apparently you can't link to the searched webpage for a particular bike, so here is the link to webcams:

Pat

edit: my signature has a couple YouTube videos of my acceleration with the setup as listed in the description on the videos.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Pat

[quote name='pgilles' date='26 August 2010 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1282851380' post='2582']

Pat,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I don't see a need to overbuild such a small motor, but some additional power in the upper rpm would be nice. The stage 1 cam, for $142 was the performance gain worth it? Did you get more responce in the midrange or upper hook? Finally, if you had any complaints about this cam what would it be? Searching for information, I stumbled onto this site. I had NO idea there was such a large following on tw's. I have owned mine for about 2 weeks and have spent little time riding it. (6 miles?) It is pretty crisp for an '87. It has a 14/50, stock tires, stock exhaust, carb, 40 pilot, 120 main, and with my rotund posterior, (I'm a big guy, 6-5 230 lbs) it seems to be revving its little lungs out at 55 mph. (sea level) I am putting on a 15 tooth counter, and with taller gearing, I will need a bump in the power delivery at an upper rpm. Pat, will the stage 1 cam in your opinion, get the job done? In addition, I went through the archives on this site and have read about guys cruising? at 65 mph. I have some doubts that this speed could be sustained for long periods of time. (I will risk an onslaught of replys to the contrary) Thank you for your time,

Superdave

P.S. A most interesting website, what the heck am I getting into?

It has a 14/50, stock tires, stock exhaust, carb, 40 pilot, 120 main, and with my rotund posterior, (I'm a big guy, 6-5 230 lbs) it seems to be revving its little lungs out at 55 mph. (sea level) I am putting on a 15 tooth counter, and with taller gearing, I will need a bump in the power delivery at an upper rpm. Pat, will the stage 1 cam in your opinion, get the job done? In addition, I went through the archives on this site and have read about guys cruising? at 65 mph. I have some doubts that this speed could be sustained for long periods of time.

I don't want to derail this thread on a carb tuning tangent, but you might be a little rich with a 120 main and stock everything. Not terribly rich, but mine wouldn't quite rev out with a 120 in the summer without sputtering a bit. The 118 I swapped out makes for a more 'lively' bike all around. I tried to compile some of the info from the old board here:

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...ch__1#entry993

The 15t front will help highway cruising quite a bit. I have a 15t, and I can comfortably cruise for long periods up to 60mph or so. It'll squirt up to 70mph if commanded, but it's not happy being there for long.

Anyway, I'm going to keep watching this thread for the cam info -- sounds like an interesting mod with pretty good bang/buck.

trey
    '97 TW200

'07 Bandit 1250SA

Pat,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I don't see a need to overbuild such a small motor, but some additional power in the upper rpm would be nice. The stage 1 cam, for $142 was the performance gain worth it? Did you get more responce in the midrange or upper hook? Finally, if you had any complaints about this cam what would it be? Searching for information, I stumbled onto this site. I had NO idea there was such a large following on tw's. I have owned mine for about 2 weeks and have spent little time riding it. (6 miles?) It is pretty crisp for an '87. It has a 14/50, stock tires, stock exhaust, carb, 40 pilot, 120 main, and with my rotund posterior, (I'm a big guy, 6-5 230 lbs) it seems to be revving its little lungs out at 55 mph. (sea level) I am putting on a 15 tooth counter, and with taller gearing, I will need a bump in the power delivery at an upper rpm. Pat, will the stage 1 cam in your opinion, get the job done? In addition, I went through the archives on this site and have read about guys cruising? at 65 mph. I have some doubts that this speed could be sustained for long periods of time. (I will risk an onslaught of replys to the contrary) Thank you for your time,

Superdave

P.S. A most interesting website, what the heck am I getting into?

Maybe there isn't a need to overbuild this little motor, but there is a want to overbuild it. Might as well! People mod 50cc Honda Ruckus's, why not a 200cc TW?

I have been happy with the bang for the buck with the cam purchase. As webcam states, its provides increase across the powerband, which I agree with but it's more noticeable in the mid to upper range. ***NOTE: I noticed that the website now states it requires an exhaust system and their valve springs. It didn't say that when I purchased...hmmm?? Well, I've used the stage 1 for 500+ miles so far without issue.

I cruise at 75mph (WOT) every day on my way to and from work. Headwinds still play a factor, so I can go at least 70mph but if the winds aren't horrible I'm up at 75mph. If I tuck down I can get it to 80mph, but that's not very comfortable. (Maybe a Jimbo shield would help me here). When my bike was stock I could get to 70mph but it took a LONG time and sometimes I never got there. This cam, along with my other mods, gets me up to speed much quicker and allows me to hold highway speed. Again, check out my videos linked in my signature below.

I'm an advocate of the $142 cam upgrade rather than the $260 exhaust (new FMF) upgrade, but I'm blind in saying that as I haven't upgraded my exhaust yet. I just won't spend that amount of money on a piece of pipe. So I say go for the cam and report back with your findings to begin building up more reviews of it.

Pat
    Sold bike.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hey Guys,

When I went to the webcam site (correct me if I'm wrong) they not longer call it a stage 1 cam. The spring kit is said to be needed as well. Hmm...are they trying to sell more parts? When you "overbuild" a motor, they can become quite tempermental. Reliability and starting issues on a high strung motor can rear their ugly head. What I want is my tw to sing a happy note at 65mph. The stage 1 cam (if available) sounds like it will get the job accomplished. (and keep the bike quiet) While I wait for my 15 tooth counter, and before I buy a cam, I think it would be wise to get a #118 main and try a few passes. Presently, there dosen't seem to be any issues at a higher rpm, other than a lower top speed. As I mentioned earlier my saddle time on my tw has been quite limited. Presently, the bike has the snorkel removed, and the needle isn't shimmed. (one thing at a time) I checked the valves, (they were ok) the cam chain was just a little loose at this time. Thanks for your time and advise,

Superdave

Hey Guys,

When I went to the webcam site (correct me if I'm wrong) they not longer call it a stage 1 cam. The spring kit is said to be needed as well. Hmm...are they trying to sell more parts? When you "overbuild" a motor, they can become quite tempermental. Reliability and starting issues on a high strung motor can rear their ugly head. What I want is my tw to sing a happy note at 65mph. The stage 1 cam (if available) sounds like it will get the job accomplished. (and keep the bike quiet) While I wait for my 15 tooth counter, and before I buy a cam, I think it would be wise to get a #118 main and try a few passes. Presently, there dosen't seem to be any issues at a higher rpm, other than a lower top speed. As I mentioned earlier my saddle time on my tw has been quite limited. Presently, the bike has the snorkel removed, and the needle isn't shimmed. (one thing at a time) I checked the valves, (they were ok) the cam chain was just a little loose at this time. Thanks for your time and advise,

Superdave

If you search for cams for the TW you will only see grind #40a (which is the stage 1). If you look at the TTR230 cam options, there are 3 options. All 3 which can be used on the TW. Webcam goes by "grind numbers" but I've also seen it listed as "stages" on distributors pages...people understand stages quicker/easier than a random grind number.

I can say my engine is not tempermental. It has its good days and then it has its days that it just isn't running at the top of its game. But it's due more to the environmental factors (temperature, wind, humidity) than the mods I've done.

First and foremost, get your bike tuned well as is. Play with some carb settings, get that new sprocket in there and get a feel for it. You may end up liking what you have and sticking with it, saving yourself some cash.
    Sold bike.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

If you search for cams for the TW you will only see grind #40a (which is the stage 1). If you look at the TTR230 cam options, there are 3 options. All 3 which can be used on the TW. Webcam goes by "grind numbers" but I've also seen it listed as "stages" on distributors pages...people understand stages quicker/easier than a random grind number.

I can say my engine is not tempermental. It has its good days and then it has its days that it just isn't running at the top of its game. But it's due more to the environmental factors (temperature, wind, humidity) than the mods I've done.

First and foremost, get your bike tuned well as is. Play with some carb settings, get that new sprocket in there and get a feel for it. You may end up liking what you have and sticking with it, saving yourself some cash.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links