Bag/case to mount on cycle rack - suggestions please
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I had a hiking back pack mounted to my cycle rack for a couple years. That worked nicely for the most part. But when I loaded it up with 5 full MSR fuel bottles...well, it lasted for a good two hours of very harsh off road riding, bouncing all over the place, dropping the bike, etc. Then it ripped and the fuel bottles fell out on the trail (luckily I was able to go back and find them all in a few minutes after I noticed). Anyway, I want to buy a bag or case to mount on my cyclerack which will be well made, inexpensive, and strong enough to withstand a few pounds of fuel bouncing around in it violently for hours. Suggestions/recommendations will be appreciated!
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
    I had a hiking back pack mounted to my cycle rack for a couple years. That worked nicely for the most part. But when I loaded it up with 5 full MSR fuel bottles...well, it lasted for a good two hours of very harsh off road riding, bouncing all over the place, dropping the bike, etc. Then it ripped and the fuel bottles fell out on the trail (luckily I was able to go back and find them all in a few minutes after I noticed). Anyway, I want to buy a bag or case to mount on my cyclerack which will be well made, inexpensive, and strong enough to withstand a few pounds of fuel bouncing around in it violently for hours. Suggestions/recommendations will be appreciated!

That a tough one to answer. I mounted a fat max tool box on my older TW and so far it has held up to the abuse of the tough trails. However, everything inside it gets beat to heck in spite unless it is surrounded by foam. My bottle of aspirin is now a bottle of powdered aspirin, and a 1 pound bag of almonds with a opening that will only pass one almond at a time has all of the almonds perfectly distributed throughout the two separated levels of the box. On my newer TW I've mounted one of those Tbags that were closed out and am hopeing that it won't do what yours has done.

Pelican cases are as tough as you like, waterproof, dust proof and come in lots of different sizes.

A couple of U-bolts around the rack and through the bottom of the case and the jobs a good 'un.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I bought a pelican case also. It works well. I still need to put a bigger plate under the fender to stabilize it better, but it still works well.

Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

I have been searching for something that is as large as the rack for quick runs to the grocery store. There are only a few options in the way of motorcycle luggage but this is one of a few. Because I mainly ride two up, I need something that will not protrude onto the seat. This one will cover the seat about 1.5". If you are'nt worried about that, this would be a great option

http://www.ridersdiscount.com/street...gage/89111.php
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

I have been looking at this. I'm not sure how well the MOLLE system would hold on the rack, but it feels pretty beefy.

Quote Originally Posted by nuckingfutts View Post
    I have been looking at this. I'm not sure how well the MOLLE system would hold on the rack, but it feels pretty beefy.
    The waterproof dive bags are versatile, tough and come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

Sorry nuckingfutts, didn't mean to add my reply to yours, too many reply buttons to push.

Waterproof canoe bags and lots of bungies. Not lockable, though.

I tried these from Wally World. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Pr...ction/17017889 They are highly water resistant and tough. The large one flew to the Bahamas and back as a dive bag, and the small one straps nicely to the cyclerack. Both have taken alot of abuse this past season, and show no wear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links