Kick start case on non-kickstart engine
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is it possible to pull all the inside parts from an 87 tw200 and change the case with one that has the hole punched out then attach the kicker to retrofit me 04 to kick?

Idaho04

Quote Originally Posted by idaho04 View Post
    What is needed other than the case and kickstart assembly attached to the case off of an 87 to retrofit my 04 to kick start. Are there any parts that need to be changed inside the case? Is it as easy as bolt off and bolt on? Is there any concern with taking that engine case off.

Idaho04

You do not need to replace the case. The 2004 case has a plug where the kickstart pokes through, pop out that plug and you are good to go. If you are taking the guts out of an 87 and putting that into the 04, than you may want to replace the locking-tab washer on the clutch. No other hard parts will be needed, but that wear parts like that locking-tab washer and the gasket for the case would be nice to have on hand. Here are the translated instructions: TW kickstart install instructions

To me it was easy, but that's a subjective subject due to different skill levels. It really is a bolt on deal.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pgilles View Post
    You do not need to replace the case. The 2004 case has a plug where the kickstart pokes through, pop out that plug and you are good to go. If you are taking the guts out of an 87 and putting that into the 04, than you may want to replace the locking-tab washer on the clutch. No other hard parts will be needed, but that wear parts like that locking-tab washer and the gasket for the case would be nice to have on hand. Here are the translated instructions: TW kickstart install instructions

To me it was easy, but that's a subjective subject due to different skill levels. It really is a bolt on deal.
    Pgilles is correct. It's relatively easy, even if you've never looked inside the sidecovers before. Just pay attention to the parts as they come off of the doner bike and put them back in in the same way. There are probably only one or two components that could get reversed (and not work) if you didn't pay attention. I'd use the new sidecover and punch out the hole as suggested. There is a seal you will want to transfer from the kicker cover. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would recommend a new seal in the case hole for the kick start shaft!

Ya probably shouldn't count on the one from the donor bike coming out clean & undamaged.

Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Thanks guys. I appreciate your expertise.

be sure and take pictures as you pull the bike apart. they can come in handy when it comes time to reassemble. and then you can post them on here to help anyone who may be hesitant to undertake the task.
    '01 TW200: Tusk D-Flex Handguards w/ Spoilers, Pro Taper Grips, LEDs in Idiot Lights, Headlight Rockguard, Stearns Seat Pad, Oversized Footpegs and a Loud Ass Horn -SOLD
    '91 TW200: Bone Stock

i got some pictures when i had to tear that side down to change a gasket, and sub-sequentially fix the kick start wall i broke in the process with jb weld should be all the pictures you need to get the job done here, along with the manual that's posted. its from my 1990 tw with kick/electric

kick start cover plate with the kicker taken off and the shaft sticking out, if you take this off be sure to push the kick start shaft in, and not let it come off with the cover, because it sprung on me and damaged a the clip wall in my engine

cover taken off

close up

close up of kick start mechanism

close up of the bay where the mechanism fits in (and showing where i broke and fixed the wall with jb weld still holding after over a month full use)

visual of how it should fit in, pink is the spring, blue is that clip i point out that controls the gear being put in and out of placement for starting, and yellow is the hammer that prevents the spring from unwinding itself by jamming against that ledge, when you put it together and wrap the spring onto that post, make sure you don't do it loosely, if its still lose you have to go around again, i remember doing it loosely and having to open it up again to do it properly, it should be a pain in the butt to get on properly

hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask me

Wow thanks, That makes it very clear. Do you have to do anything special to pull the clutch? Someone said replace the crush washer, which I will get with a couple of seals and a new case gasket, but is there anything special to lookout for when pulling the clutch off?

Thanks

Idaho04

Quote Originally Posted by idaho04 View Post
    Wow thanks, That makes it very clear. Do you have to do anything special to pull the clutch? Someone said replace the crush washer, which I will get with a couple of seals and a new case gasket, but is there anything special to lookout for when pulling the clutch off?

Thanks

Idaho04

You need to hold the clutch basket from rotating as you remove the nut. Either get a clutch holding tool or something along the lines that does the same job, making sure you don't damage/break the basket. Here are a couple pictures of variations of the tool to give you an idea of what's needed...

Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

well as i originally stated, my issue was that side gasket leaking that i had to replace, the kick start mechanism is able to be installed and removed without touching the clutch assembly, so i didn't bother with any advance maintainance, one thing i did forget to show is on the kick start assembly in front of the spring there is also 2 washers, one has a locking mechanism and fits over top of the other i think their purpose is to sit against the rubber seal for the kick start to help be oil tight, at the time i didn't replace that either and everything is still fine for me, and my 90 with 16700 km and don't forget to look at the tw200 maintanince manual, it helped me out a lot throughout the process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links