• 4 Post By sub251
  • 3 Post By Rider21
  • 4 Post By ToolmanJohn
  • 1 Post By Fr8dog
  • 2 Post By ejfranz
  • 1 Post By Deepseadan

Thread: Doubletake Enduro Mirros

Doubletake Enduro Mirros

Finished the install. Very easy as far as upgrades go. Unscrew old mirrors, screw in new ones. The mirror threads are metric M10x1.25 . The only engineering flaw with the Doubletake mirrors is that they use a RAM ball mount system, which in itself is very nice, quick to adjust, BUT, the ball studs have NO wrench flats for tightening, and have to be tightened using serrated pliers or vice grips. An annoyance that leaves sharp little marks on the ball stud aluminum. Oh well, nothing can be done about that.

Another annoyance is that the right hand mirror mount on the brake lever perch is LEFT HAND thread. So you must buy a $5.00 adapter, this adapter DOES have wrench flats (1/2 inch wrench). The mounting hole is also VERY close to the brake master cylinder, making the install difficult using the 1/2 inch wrench and the vice grips. The adapter has to be securely snugged and held with thte wrench, while tightening the ball stud suing the vice grips, and very little room to turn either.

After the install though, I can see that the adapter actually does serve another purpose, it raised the ball stud above the master cylinder, allowing better range of right mirror adjustment. Without the adapter, the range would be somewhat limited. Sorry about the flash. Dark in the garage and there are some reflectors on a few things in there. I haven't ridden them yet, so I hope they don't vibrate too much on the road, or lose position, but the clamps seem seriously strong and rigid when tightened.

Right Mirror Mount.jpg Right Side Mount near Master cylinder from front
    Right Mount Mirror.jpg Right Side Mirror from riding position
    Enduro Mirrors.jpg Both Mirrors
    Left Mirror.jpg Left Side Mirror
    Last edited by ToolmanJohn; 01-06-2017 at 04:27 PM.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

Nice write up, interested to see how the RAM mounts work on these
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    2003 Polaris Sportsman 500
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

I put their enduro mirrors on two bikes. Sturdy and easy to adjust...takes just a few seconds to fold them in for dirt and out for street.
    Phil
    1987 TW200
    2009 Kawasaki KLX250s
    2012 Honda CRF250x
    2019 Beta 200 RR

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yah, please keep us posted on how they function. Thanks for the pics.
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    If it works good, it's beautiful.

I really can't-won't be riding until the ground is clear of snow. It's cold enough now that there could be ice anywhere. I won't ride in sub-freezing temps (wind chill is brutal) and ice can be in any corner on a shaded road behind a hill. Just biding my time...Spring....Sigh....

Supposed to snow some more tomorrow...
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

I can't say as to how they function on a T Dub, but I have a pair on an F650GS and I will probably put a set on the the T Dub in the future.

As to the left hand thread issue, blame Yamaha for that one . Offhand, I can't think of any other bikes with that setup.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

I have one on the WR. Vibration is an issue.
    The bike is low geared and at 9K + rpm it is hard to see out of.

I have not had the same issues with the mirrors of the TW getting in the way so have not gone to the double take on it.
    Smitty Blackstone and joeband like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Doubletake Enduro Mirros

I have one on my ktm 500 exc and had one on my old raptor quad (to keep an eye on the kids behind). The ram system, mirror and ball stud are bulletproof but I have had two of their handlebar clamps crack at the threads where the ball studs thread in. They cracked from vibration because I've never dropped the bike. I'm sure there won't be an issue if you use Yamaha's factory clamps, but don't waste your money on Double Takes. I had to switch back to my ktm clamps.

As for the mirror, they're very scratch resistant and mine still looks new. The ram system also keeps the mirror in place very well. I've hit jumps, and also whoop sections at 50 plus mph and the mirror doesn't budge. In fact last weekend I rode 72 miles off-road in the desert with speeds up to 80 mph (for short bursts) and never had to adjust the mirror once. It's that good.

One more positive although I haven't been able to test it yet, (luckily) is I believe if you lay the bike down the Double Take will simply fold out of the way preventing a broken clamp or bent handlebars situation.

But on my tw I like the stock mirrors and have no issues with them, so I don't plan to switch yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Deepseadan; 01-09-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    ToolmanJohn likes this.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

Good write up!

I like that the ball mount allows the mirror to bend and rotate so it doesn't break on every fall.
    But the one I had rattled so bad and continually came loose. Too often, for the added expense to me.
    Of course one could argue that the entire handlebar/fork/bike was doing the rattling, which might be correct.

I don't mind the left handed threads on the right mirror as I do fall and it's saved me a few times from having to buy a new mirror. (I like to watch things behind me for some reason).
    But I do remove the mirrors when I let someone ride around in the dirt.

Are you using the short 2'' ram double socket or the 3'' ram socket??

Sponosred Links