another homemade rack....kinda
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member rastaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    147
    I scored a rack off one of those elcheapo atv's from a friend and decided to put it to use. The brackets were fabricated from stock 1" bar from Home Depot and the design was stolen for other post here. I dont weld but my local welding shop welded the 4 spots needed for $10. a coat of primer and some satin black and whola...I like it, and I like the cost even more :-), now just gotta add a bracket somewhere for a gas can, dont want to use up the luggage space...any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member lizrdbrth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Desert, SoCal
    Posts
    7,369
    Quote Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
    I scored a rack off one of those elcheapo atv's from a friend and decided to put it to use. The brackets were fabricated from stock 1" bar from Home Depot and the design was stolen for other post here. I dont weld but my local welding shop welded the 4 spots needed for $10. a coat of primer and some satin black and whola...I like it, and I like the cost even more :-), now just gotta add a bracket somewhere for a gas can, dont want to use up the luggage space...any ideas?


    RastaRacks:















    Congrats on TW #2. Maybe some Kolpin gas containers off the back of the rack, or a couple of tool tubes with fuel cylinders? Bigger tank? Spend, spend, spend .



    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

    Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  3. #3
    Senior Member evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Woodland, California
    Posts
    2,126
    looks nice and lots of space for carrying stuff. The only drawback is trying to squeeze thru tight spots. When I'm exploring there are plenty of times where I'm barely able to squeeze thru a small opening to further explore a trail or past a gate/fence posts......That's why I prefer a dirtbike over quad in some areas.....
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member lizrdbrth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Desert, SoCal
    Posts
    7,369
    Quote Originally Posted by importmech View Post
    looks nice and lots of space for carrying stuff. The only drawback is trying to squeeze thru tight spots. When I'm exploring there are plenty of times where I'm barely able to squeeze thru a small opening to further explore a trail or past a gate/fence posts......That's why I prefer a dirtbike over quad in some areas.....


    It would seem so, but going on 3 years I've never had it happen. Handlebars are 30-33" wide on most bikes, and 26-27" crossed up. My rack is similar, and it's 27" wide (not much wider than an average man's shoulders). Generally speaking if you can walk through it you can ride through it and if the front will fit through it, the back will follow.



    I'm sure there are fence gaps that it won't squeek through, though. I carry fence pliers for that, even on my horse. Not sure I'd recomend that in some locales. Most ranch gaps are designed to get a horse through, anyway. Never been an issue for me on a bike.



    Every type of rack has advantages and disadvantages. One of the advantages of this type is that you can get completely under it with both forearms and lift the bike fully off the ground with your legs, so as long as the posts aren't too tall you can lift it over them. Leaning the bike as you walk the back through narrows it a bunch, too.



    If you're dealing with 3-pole mangaps you probably won't get any bike through one without lifting one or both ends, anyway.



    There's nothing to stop you from narrowing it to any width you'd prefer, removing the "ears" of the rack, removing the cargo rails or turning it completely around. I cut almost 8" out of the middle of the ATV rack on mine and welded it back together. You can also widen a "found" rack to suit yor needs, as well. Cut one in half and mount the halves vertically on both sides of the bike as pannier racks.



    My "ideal" rack would be one of these things, but with sides that fold up or down. In the down position they're pannier racks. In the middle position they're an aircraft carrier and in the up position a firewood rack.



    These are usually cheap when you find them and good sources of usable, pre-bent shapes. If you stare one down for long enough you can probably find other ways to tweak one, if you're into it.



    Given that the stock rack costs a C-note and barely holds a sandwich, this is the best use of 10 bucks I've seen on this board in awhile.



    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

    Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  6. #5
    Banned qwerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NW Tennessee
    Posts
    10,664
    I'm not a big fan of auxilary fuel tanks. Transfering fuel over a hot engine is a fire hazard. Seriously consider one of the bigger tank mods.



    Nice rack! Make a bracket to hold a Kolpin on the left side vertically under the rack. It should be out of the way and the rack will protect it in a spill. The bracket could bolt to the two left-side mounts for the rack and the passenger footpeg or bracket. You will loose no space.




  7. #6
    Senior Member operose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,123
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    I'm not a big fan of auxilary fuel tanks. Transfering fuel over a hot engine is a fire hazard. Seriously consider one of the bigger tank mods.



    Nice rack! Make a bracket to hold a Kolpin on the left side vertically under the rack. It should be out of the way and the rack will protect it in a spill. The bracket could bolt to the two left-side mounts for the rack and the passenger footpeg or bracket. You will loose no space.




    Do you wait for your bike to cool down at the gas station before refueling? (this is a serious question, provided that you were also being serious)
    ITCB

  8. #7
    Banned qwerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NW Tennessee
    Posts
    10,664
    Usually I park, go in, use the restroom, pick up something cold to drink, then push over to the pump and refuel. It only takes a couple minutes for the stuff hot enough to set gasoline affire to cool off to a safe level.




  9. #8
    Senior Member xdac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gilbert AZ
    Posts
    1,076
    Looks like a great rack. Nothing wrong with custom building them. Its just a matter of stumbling across the right rack.
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

  10. #9
    Senior Member lizrdbrth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Desert, SoCal
    Posts
    7,369
    That's pretty close, as-is. I had to narrow mine just to get the sides to wrap around the seat so closely.



    I'd like to find one like that for Purple's. It looks a bit lighter and doesn't hang as far off the back as my cut up Honda rack.



    Let me know if you ever find out which Chinabike it came from.



    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

    Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  11. #10
    Senior Member rastaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    That's pretty close, as-is. I had to narrow mine just to get the sides to wrap around the seat so closely.



    I'd like to find one like that for Purple's. It looks a bit lighter and doesn't hang as far off the back as my cut up Honda rack.



    Let me know if you ever find out which Chinabike it came from.


    I think he still has the frame, so the next time I go by his place I will check it out, and let you know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Homemade rear fender eliminator
    By Toyanvil in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-08-2017, 07:41 PM
  2. Homemade Chain Oiler
    By Dubster in forum Sticky threads
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-18-2016, 12:36 PM
  3. TW Homemade Sidecar
    By TWisty in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 07:48 PM
  4. Homemade motor guard/skid plate
    By Toyanvil in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 11:44 PM
  5. this kinda sucks.
    By qwerty in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 12:59 AM