Building a new rack
Close

Well im going to be adding to the rack i have on my bike. I picked up this unknown black one and chopped 5 inches or so off of it. I tacked welded it together and set it on the bike and started the long thinking process.

Sitting on the bike the rack is 31 inches wide. Bars are 35. I know lizrdbrth has a wide rack..but what do you think is too wide?

I don't plan on carrying a gas can. I have a 4 gallon tank and a 32oz fuel bottle that ill carry with me. This is gona be a strictly off road trail bike. I figured on some of the longer rides i can move my t-bag over to one side and strap a smaller cooler on with some sammiches. For most rides ill probably just center the bag and tie it down.

The other rack is bolted under neath the seat exactly like the cycle rack. I have a finger width gap between the black rubber base and my white rack on the bck of the bike. For extra support should i put a L bracket there and bolt it to the rubber black piece? Ill probably just weld the black rack on top of the other one the way it sits..that should be strong enough.

Ideas? What am i missing..what else should i add?

2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by xdac View Post
    Well im going to be adding to the rack i have on my bike. I picked up this unknown black one and chopped 5 inches or so off of it. I tacked welded it together and set it on the bike and started the long thinking process.

Sitting on the bike the rack is 31 inches wide. Bars are 35. I know lizrdbrth has a wide rack..but what do you think is too wide?

I don't plan on carrying a gas can. I have a 4 gallon tank and a 32oz fuel bottle that ill carry with me. This is gona be a strictly off road trail bike. I figured on some of the longer rides i can move my t-bag over to one side and strap a smaller cooler on with some sammiches. For most rides ill probably just center the bag and tie it down.

The other rack is bolted under neath the seat exactly like the cycle rack. I have a finger width gap between the black rubber base and my white rack on the bck of the bike. For extra support should i put a L bracket there and bolt it to the rubber black piece? Ill probably just weld the black rack on top of the other one the way it sits..that should be strong enough.

Ideas? What am i missing..what else should i add?

The most rearward bar of the rack could use some sort of connection to rest of the rack, possibly the pieces of rack that are left over. If you're using the cantilever design of the Cyclerack I don't think you need any more support under the rack. Those side bars look pretty substantial and will easily carry the weight. I like the looks.

The bar that sticks up on the back will be cut off, grounded, and welded back on to its original full length.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Lose the old rack underneath (overkill, too heavy together) weld a tube across the "U" near the seat back, put some "L" tabs to the stock underseat bolts then either run struts to the turn signals or some tubes down to one of the footpeg bolts. Tie all that loose tubing together with some joiner bars of smaller tubing.

All the crossbars on mine are added. The two smaller bars front-to-rear in the center section and the two side-to-side bars in the outer thirds:

Wish I had a better pic, but there's a bar of 3/16" x 1 1/4" bar stock on edge under the tube, and the tabs are welded off of it:

Put enough angle in your struts and the sub-subframe will mostly be in compression:

:

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

If your stock rear turns haven't hit anything, you can go that wide. As for mounts, think triangles.

Except for freak occurrences, in a bike drop your rear turn signals, plastic, muffler and tank will never hit anything again.

No more buttcrack avatar pics cuz you'll never have to bend over that far again

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Grind the powder coat or paint off before you weld and take a welding class.

Good thing i didn't ask you to judge my welding skills

xdac,

Your rack looks like it is going to be spot on. I intend on doing the same thing come the new year. I have acquired a front and rear rack from a donor quad. Lizrdbrth's rack gave me the inspiration to do the same thing. Many thanks to him! The front rack has a bar across the top that happens to be at about the same angle as head light cover and will be made into a much smaller rack for the front that will rest above the head light. I can't wait to start my first mod. I hope to post the before, during, and after.

Have you finished yours yet? Would love to see the end result.

Sponosred Links