Another camera mount option
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I liked Mr. DNA's idea of using the gimbal from an inexpensive tripod for his camera mount. However, I saw the bars too much at low speeds in the rough to want to mount the camera to the handlebars. So, I came up with another option. I had originally planned to use a flexible (rubber) PVC pipe coupling, but then saw this cup in the garage.

The inside diameter was just slightly bigger than the outside diameter of my fuel cap. One wrap of double stick tape, a strip of sandpaper to help with the grip, and a clamp makes a very secure attachment to my fuel cap. If I decide to keep this mount I'll use a hole saw to provide access so I can easily lock and unlock the cap.

I wasn't able to find a Vivitar tripod, but picked up a Targus mini tripod for just $8. A fender washer just slightly larger than the base of the gimbal, and another smaller fender washer underneath along with lock washer and screw quickly and easily attached the gimbal to the cup.

I recognize it's not everybody's cup of tea but I've always been all about function over form. I like it because the camera is right where I can easily see it and access the controls. I still need to do something about the sound, and see if I can maybe stabilize it a little more. See what you think:

[media]http://youtu.be/zT-qPRweA-M[/media]

[media]http://youtu.be/H7WyrU4qXw8[/media]

Thanks, Mr. DNA for the idea. Thanks also to Admiral, XDAC, and others who have shared their videos. I love watching them, and hope I can share some with you guys.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

A little shaky..i still personally like the body mounts. They seem to get rid of the jitterness. I still wana come up with a cool mount that catches the front end/suspension/tire going down a trail...Ive got a few ideas up my sleeve, i just dont know if the camera will bounce around.
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

I'm all about cheap and easy. The velcro is 3m dual lock. The stuff holds. I did about 30 miles in rough stuff today with no issues.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ideas seldom start out representing elegance or perfection. Many do however move us from banal to brilliant. Just my opinion. Gerry

To all that 'TRY'...........

Take care my Friend.........

Functionality is key. Not perfect, but it gets the job done.

Interesting idea and I like the perspective, but my experimentation would indicate any kind of mounting to the bike simply produces too much vibration. A chest or helmet mount helps a lot, but the cameras most of us have simply weren't designed for this. Once you see what folks are getting with a camera that -was- designed for this, the GoPro line, you find it hard to think that anything else will really do an adequate job. If I wanted to do more sports/action/motorcycle video, I think I'd ask Santa for a GoPro HD Hero - Motorsports edition. Cycle Gear has a pretty good deal right now.

Have a look at what this baby can do on a really bumpy ride --

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HfOQV2L72I[/media]

And if you want to take a ride on a TW... (kick this up to 720p HD and watch it full screen and this chest mount perspective really make it feel like you're the rider).

[media]http://youtu.be/SJ2IXpW8CHQ[/media]

Now look what you're going to make me do...try another camera mount! I like it. Tomorrow I'm gonna whip something up like your's from the Admiral's secret testing laboratory. Or is that lavatory? I get those two mixed up all the time.

Ultimately, I think as Truelight indicates, most of our problems are the camera's we use. Built in image stabilization is what we need. I would love a Go Pro, Contour, or some other action camera, but I can't afford it, or should I say, don't want to spend that much money. I have seen some point and shoot camera's which have video stabilization with some model's considerably cheaper than a Go Pro. I would like to try Truelights Sony in one of my mounts cause his video was pretty darn good.

Here's my feedback on the camera mounts I have tried:

Handlebar mount: Overall too shaky or too much vibration, bad sound. But has the best for camera controls (on/off/record buttons), similar to B-dubs gas cap cup mount.

Helmet mount: To dorky looking with a regular camera. Improvement for shake and vibration. Horrible camera controls (On/off/record). Is it on? Is it recording? Try it and you will see what I mean.

Chest Mount: Stabilization is about the same as the helmet mount. I can't really tell the difference. Better camera (on/off/record) control, but not as good as the handlebar. Noise reduced a lot with the use of a cover (old camera pouch) over the camera. But I don't really like it wrapped around me.

Here's my chest mount versions. One is when I'm wearing my hunting vest, and one without. (I wear my hunting vest as an alternative to a back pack to carry water, food, bazooka's and what not).

Old camera pouch attached to a plastic backplate. (I used a small wastebasket for the plastic)

I used coat snaps and buckles to secure the straps.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by xdac View Post
    A little shaky..i still personally like the body mounts. They seem to get rid of the jitterness. I still wana come up with a cool mount that catches the front end/suspension/tire going down a trail...Ive got a few ideas up my sleeve, i just dont know if the camera will bounce around.
    Awww, you're just spoiled with the image stabilization on your GoPro . Yes, I don't think it'll ever be as good as a body mounted camera, but I think it has potential. There is some slop in the mounts of my tank, maybe if I tighten that up some it will improve. I thought with the tank being rubber mounted that would isolate it from vibration somewhat. I was also thinking that the fuel in the tank would act as a damper, kind of. As mentioned I like the camera where I can see it, and I'm not real fond of having things strapped to me. Anyway, I was just looking for a way to get in some video. This was quick, cheap, and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by nuckingfutts View Post
    I'm all about cheap and easy. The velcro is 3m dual lock. The stuff holds. I did about 30 miles in rough stuff today with no issues.

I agree, if it works it sure beats the heck out of nothing. I've heard the dual lock is great stuff, and I have plans to use it on a future project.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
    Ideas seldom start out representing elegance or perfection. Many do however move us from banal to brilliant. Just my opinion. Gerry

Thanks Gerry. The definition of a forum includes "a place where ideas can be exchanged". The performance and customization part of this forum is one of my favorite hangouts. I enjoy seeing everyone's ideas for solving a problem, and of course, coming up with my own. To me, that's half the fun! Plus, the guys and gals on this forum are a good bunch. Though I've never met any of you, I feel like I'm among friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Truelight View Post
    Interesting idea and I like the perspective, but my experimentation would indicate any kind of mounting to the bike simply produces too much vibration. A chest or helmet mount helps a lot, but the cameras most of us have simply weren't designed for this. Once you see what folks are getting with a camera that -was- designed for this, the GoPro line, you find it hard to think that anything else will really do an adequate job. If I wanted to do more sports/action/motorcycle video, I think I'd ask Santa for a GoPro HD Hero - Motorsports edition.

Oh yes, I would love to have one of those!!! But, I would also love to have a new skid plate, bark busters, bar risers, banshee shock, etc. etc. etc. Maybe the new Go Pro's will drive the price down on used ones so they become more affordable. In the meantime I'll continue to piddle around with less expensive options.

I liked the perspective of this video: [media]http://youtu.be/QNH9E2YIfyI[/media]

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Now look what you're going to make me do...try another camera mount! I like it. Tomorrow I'm gonna whip something up like your's from the Admiral's secret testing laboratory. Or is that lavatory? I get those two mixed up all the time.

Hey, you're responsible for all this! Oh, and let me clear that up for you: The lavatory is where the engineering takes place, the labratory is where the creation of the prototype takes place. The revealing of the Top Secret chest mount made this post all worth it. I tried to get Truelight to share his design, but it must still be classified .
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Loved reading about the very unique and interesting camera mounts.

I borrowed my brother's GoPro for a ride a few months ago. I just got around to uploading one of them (don't mind my electric start issue, it has been solved). I used the helmet mount. It worked very well. Only problem was, like stated before, is it on? Is it off? I kept checking the mirror to see if the red light was on!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkN6FvJo7NU&feature=youtu.be[/media]
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

B-dub,

I copied your cup-o-tank mount today and tried it out. I think it is better than my handlebar mount. Shake/vibration is slightly less, but better as the camera doesn't turn with every move of the handlebar. I do like it being right there in front of me where I can turn it on/off better. Like you, I don't like the harness strapped around me, though it has the least amount of shake.

With a standard non-GoPro camera, I'm not going to use the handlebar or helmet mount. More likely to keep using the chest mount until I get a stabilized camera. If I get one, I'm hoping the cup-o-tank mount will work and will give it a try. All in all, I think the cup-o-tank mount is a good option.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links