TW Larger Engine Swap?
Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: TW Larger Engine Swap?

Has anyone ever put a different engine in a TW? BW350, Yamaha Warrior 350, DRZ400, Were some of my ideas. Is this possible?

jvt
    Quote Originally Posted by 123elementm View Post
    Has anyone ever put a different engine in a TW? BW350, Yamaha Warrior 350, DRZ400, Were some of my ideas. Is this possible?
    I was told the front sproket is offset to match the larger rear wheel and is hard to find an engine the same.A good place to look is the japan bikes .They are way ahead of us on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim VT View Post
    I was told the front sproket is offset to match the larger rear wheel and is hard to find an engine the same.A good place to look is the japan bikes .They are way ahead of us on this.

Would the BW350 engine work then?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 123elementm View Post
    Would the BW350 engine work then?

I believe the Big Wheel used a 'Jack Shaft' to get alignment, not an extended primary shaft. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

So you're saying the primary shaft is shorter on most engines? can it be extended? I want a "Trail Warrior" 350!

Get after it and share the results with lots of pics! Something with a small v-twin would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Weaver View Post
    Get after it and share the results with lots of pics! Something with a small v-twin would be great.

heck yeah... I'd love to put a rebel 250 engine on the TW (it's actually 233 not 250) it's so much smoother and cooler sounding and lasts a lot longer, I've heard of it going over 100k whereas people say the TW only lasts 30-40k before you gotta rebuild.

Wish I knew how to do all the crazy cool swap stuff some people do.
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

I can't remember anyone actually swapping an engine except the rare bird who owns a machine shop. The German member can set you up with a bigger piston and maybe a larger bore. Other than that, we are pretty much stuck with rejetting the carb, opening up the airbox, and sticking on an aftermarket muffler. The co-owner of my dealership showed me a picture of a prototype TW350 he tested a number of years ago. He said it was the perfect size engine for it. Never did make it to production. I am pretty sure we get the leftovers in the States anymore due to our nanny state govt. In Japan they have had the TW225 for a number of years but not a peep about them ever coming here. The same thing with the Land Rover Defender. the few that are here from the mid nineties fetch 40 to 60 grand. The cops use Defenders in England- I took a photo of a brand new silver one when I was on a visit. Land Rover says screw setting them up for the US- too many rules and regs. So the moral of the story is buy a bigger bike if you want a bigger engine, or move to Japan.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Babaganoush View Post
    I can't remember anyone actually swapping an engine except the rare bird who owns a machine shop. The German member can set you up with a bigger piston and maybe a larger bore. Other than that, we are pretty much stuck with rejetting the carb, opening up the airbox, and sticking on an aftermarket muffler. The co-owner of my dealership showed me a picture of a prototype TW350 he tested a number of years ago. He said it was the perfect size engine for it. Never did make it to production. I am pretty sure we get the leftovers in the States anymore due to our nanny state govt. In Japan they have had the TW225 for a number of years but not a peep about them ever coming here. The same thing with the Land Rover Defender. the few that are here from the mid nineties fetch 40 to 60 grand. The cops use Defenders in England- I took a photo of a brand new silver one when I was on a visit. Land Rover says screw setting them up for the US- too many rules and regs. So the moral of the story is buy a bigger bike if you want a bigger engine, or move to Japan.

Dave
    Take care my Friend.........

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links