K&N filter conversion?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My '06 TW had been modified with a K&N air filter and I want to make sure it was done right and is safe for the engine. The previous owner cut quite a bit out of the factory airbox and then mounted the K&N cone on the rubber hose that connects the airbox to the carb. I would like to know if this is a recommended "upgrade" and if I there are any benefits or drawbacks from this change.

As long as you don't get them wet,they seem to work ok. Just make sure it's well sealed to the hose. You don't want direct dirt induction!

I'd never run a k&n filter in the dirt. They would be ok for the street in a low dust environment.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Everyone has a different opinion on the k&n type filters. Some say they dont filter as well. I don't know how i feel about that comment. i've had one on my jeep for 15 years without any engine problems. I think as long as they are oiled correctly you should not worry about where you go with it. it does the job. K&N brand was actually designed for motorcycles over 40 years ago. I dont think they would still be going strong if they didnt work well. just my 2 cents...

if you are running on the street i would probably check the plug to make sure it is not running to lean. the air filter can mke big difference. if you look through the forum arkives there is lot of info on plugs and jetting for air and exhaust mods..

hope this helps. shawn
    not a TW owner but i play one on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by dalsco View Post
    Everyone has a different opinion on the k&n type filters. Some say they dont filter as well. I don't know how i feel about that comment. i've had one on my jeep for 15 years without any engine problems. I think as long as they are oiled correctly you should not worry about where you go with it. it does the job. K&N brand was actually designed for motorcycles over 40 years ago. I dont think they would still be going strong if they didnt work well. just my 2 cents...
    I totally agree, K&N makes a good filter, proper maintenance is a must, I have run them on my quads for a long time in very dusty conditions and they have performed well.

I got a factory airbox off ebay and installed it today. It is a perfect fit (obviously) and eliminates the downward angle of the carb that the K&N filter created. I took her out for a test ride and don't notice any power loss. I think that the K&N is a fine filter, but after riding with both I'd have to say that the money and time it costs to replace the stock setup with the K&N isn't really worth it.

Anyone have any use for a completely hacked up factory airbox?

where are you guys buying the k&n's & whats the part #, is there major modifing needed to install besides air box removal? i have k&n's on my 04 RX1 with exhaust & clutch kit, WOW, that opened her up.

I'm looking to add k&n's to my bike and need some part #'s. I'm surprised no one as recorded these as there are so many that use them. Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by TW_Matt View Post
    I'm looking to add k&n's to my bike and need some part #'s. I'm surprised no one as recorded these as there are so many that use them. Any help?

Actually, it has been documented over and over again but people seem unwilling to search for the information. I searched and found this for you:

"KandN air filter part # RU1780 remember that your going to have to take the rubber hose from your air box out (which isn't easy!), otherwise the air filter won't reach the carb."
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links