Camera Tank Mount - The Next Generation
Close

In an earlier post I used a cup to mount my camera to the gas cap so I could shoot some video. Even after incorporating Admiral's improvements I wasn't quite satisfied so decided to go with my original idea - a rubber PVC pipe coupling. I got a 3" by 2" reducer, and a 1 1/2" slip cap that fit perfectly into the 2" end. My theory was that the rubber would provide more damping, especially the shoulder on the reducer. Also, since the coupling is rubber I can shove it right down against the tank when mounting it on the cap for more stability. I was also trying to reduce the height with the idea that less "arm" would reduce the apparent motion. The last idea didn't work so well since the camera has to be high enough to see over the headlight fairing. Anyway, it's still not as good as a GoPro or Contour, but I think it's acceptable and will continue to use it until I get the money for a better solution. Just throwing this out in case anyone else wants to try something similar. I would like to see more videos posted!!! I'll post a few of my own as soon as they finish uploading.

My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    In an earlier post I used a cup to mount my camera to the gas cap so I could shoot some video. Even after incorporating Admiral's improvements I wasn't quite satisfied so decided to go with my original idea - a rubber PVC pipe coupling. I got a 3" by 2" reducer, and a 1 1/2" slip cap that fit perfectly into the 2" end. My theory was that the rubber would provide more damping, especially the shoulder on the reducer. Also, since the coupling is rubber I can shove it right down against the tank when mounting it on the cap for more stability. I was also trying to reduce the height with the idea that less "arm" would reduce the apparent motion. The last idea didn't work so well since the camera has to be high enough to see over the headlight fairing. Anyway, it's still not as good as a GoPro or Contour, but I think it's acceptable and will continue to use it until I get the money for a better solution. Just throwing this out in case anyone else wants to try something similar. I would like to see more videos posted!!! I'll post a few of my own as soon as they finish uploading.

Nice....I like it..

Looks like you had to sell your neutral gauge cluster to afford it all.
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by xdac View Post
    Looks like you had to sell your neutral gauge cluster to afford it all.

Nah, that's the way it was when I got the bike and I haven't seen a need to replace it. I don't ride at night much, I can easily feel when it's in neutral, and I can see the turn signals flashing. I am, however, going to wire up an audible alarm for the turn signals since I still forget to cancel them sometimes. Besides, what are you doing hanging around the computer? Get out there and shoot some more video! jk

Boy, more creative thinking.... I was just working with those rubber boots last week. Since my boots were filled with poop, I did not give much thought to camera mounting, just solving my septic problem. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    Nah, that's the way it was when I got the bike and I haven't seen a need to replace it. I don't ride at night much, I can easily feel when it's in neutral, and I can see the turn signals flashing. I am, however, going to wire up an audible alarm for the turn signals since I still forget to cancel them sometimes. Besides, what are you doing hanging around the computer? Get out there and shoot some more video! jk
    Monday buddy 3 tw's and 2 rokons..will be some more single track riding..will have plenty of video and carnage
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Nice refinement. I didn't have a cup that would fit, as in your previous version, but I have a few 3-2" fittings lying around from a gravity dredge I was working on. Just reopened our local trails, so I'll give it a shot this weekend if I can get out.
    Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

XDAC, a ride with TW's and a Rokon or two should make for a real neat video, keep up the good work fellas. Gerry

Seems more of us have been branching out and presenting videos along with our ride reports. Seems we use all sorts of different cameras and as well, mounting designs.

Gerry

ps: moved to the other mounting thread as I figured my post did not

have anything to do with "tank"

Cool! That's a well engineered gizmow. I look forward to seeing how it turns out!

Sponosred Links