Camera Tank Mount - The Next Generation
Close
    
    
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member B-dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southwest Utah
    Posts
    2,132
    In an earlier post I used a cup to mount my camera to the gas cap so I could shoot some video. Even after incorporating Admiral's improvements I wasn't quite satisfied so decided to go with my original idea - a rubber PVC pipe coupling. I got a 3" by 2" reducer, and a 1 1/2" slip cap that fit perfectly into the 2" end. My theory was that the rubber would provide more damping, especially the shoulder on the reducer. Also, since the coupling is rubber I can shove it right down against the tank when mounting it on the cap for more stability. I was also trying to reduce the height with the idea that less "arm" would reduce the apparent motion. The last idea didn't work so well since the camera has to be high enough to see over the headlight fairing. Anyway, it's still not as good as a GoPro or Contour, but I think it's acceptable and will continue to use it until I get the money for a better solution. Just throwing this out in case anyone else wants to try something similar. I would like to see more videos posted!!! I'll post a few of my own as soon as they finish uploading.



    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

  2. #2
    Senior Member rastaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    In an earlier post I used a cup to mount my camera to the gas cap so I could shoot some video. Even after incorporating Admiral's improvements I wasn't quite satisfied so decided to go with my original idea - a rubber PVC pipe coupling. I got a 3" by 2" reducer, and a 1 1/2" slip cap that fit perfectly into the 2" end. My theory was that the rubber would provide more damping, especially the shoulder on the reducer. Also, since the coupling is rubber I can shove it right down against the tank when mounting it on the cap for more stability. I was also trying to reduce the height with the idea that less "arm" would reduce the apparent motion. The last idea didn't work so well since the camera has to be high enough to see over the headlight fairing. Anyway, it's still not as good as a GoPro or Contour, but I think it's acceptable and will continue to use it until I get the money for a better solution. Just throwing this out in case anyone else wants to try something similar. I would like to see more videos posted!!! I'll post a few of my own as soon as they finish uploading.





    Nice....I like it..

  3. #3
    Senior Member xdac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gilbert AZ
    Posts
    1,076
    Looks like you had to sell your neutral gauge cluster to afford it all.
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member B-dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southwest Utah
    Posts
    2,132
    Quote Originally Posted by xdac View Post
    Looks like you had to sell your neutral gauge cluster to afford it all.


    Nah, that's the way it was when I got the bike and I haven't seen a need to replace it. I don't ride at night much, I can easily feel when it's in neutral, and I can see the turn signals flashing. I am, however, going to wire up an audible alarm for the turn signals since I still forget to cancel them sometimes. Besides, what are you doing hanging around the computer? Get out there and shoot some more video! jk
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Gerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Paradise, Calif.
    Posts
    3,513
    Boy, more creative thinking.... I was just working with those rubber boots last week. Since my boots were filled with poop, I did not give much thought to camera mounting, just solving my septic problem. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

  7. #6
    Senior Member xdac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gilbert AZ
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    Nah, that's the way it was when I got the bike and I haven't seen a need to replace it. I don't ride at night much, I can easily feel when it's in neutral, and I can see the turn signals flashing. I am, however, going to wire up an audible alarm for the turn signals since I still forget to cancel them sometimes. Besides, what are you doing hanging around the computer? Get out there and shoot some more video! jk
    Monday buddy 3 tw's and 2 rokons..will be some more single track riding..will have plenty of video and carnage
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

  8. #7
    Senior Member MrDNA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Posts
    502
    Nice refinement. I didn't have a cup that would fit, as in your previous version, but I have a few 3-2" fittings lying around from a gravity dredge I was working on. Just reopened our local trails, so I'll give it a shot this weekend if I can get out.
    Something witty...



    2005 & 2010 TW200

  9. #8
    Senior Member Gerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Paradise, Calif.
    Posts
    3,513
    XDAC, a ride with TW's and a Rokon or two should make for a real neat video, keep up the good work fellas. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

  10. #9
    Senior Member Gerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Paradise, Calif.
    Posts
    3,513
    Seems more of us have been branching out and presenting videos along with our ride reports. Seems we use all sorts of different cameras and as well, mounting designs.



    Gerry



    ps: moved to the other mounting thread as I figured my post did not

    have anything to do with "tank"

    Take care my Friend.........

  11. #10
    Senior Member B-dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southwest Utah
    Posts
    2,132
    Cool! That's a well engineered gizmow. I look forward to seeing how it turns out!
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Another camera mount option
    By B-dub in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-14-2012, 10:30 AM
  2. Validation Comparison of B-dub's Cup-O-Tank to My Chest Mount
    By admiral in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 08:54 PM
  3. Video from handlebar camera mount
    By MrDNA in forum Trails, Off-road, and Adventure Riding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 11:29 PM
  4. Very Customized Camera Mount TW200 for sale
    By SantaFeTW200 in forum TW200 Classifieds
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 11:16 PM
  5. I lost the gas tank mount hardware!
    By brownie2 in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 05:33 PM