Beams exhaust, stock air box, 600' alt
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2008 TW, Beams exhaust, Stock Airbox, 600' altitude... SHOULD I be able to run stock settings on my carb and run good. Im not a carb guy AT ALL ( ) so this question is before I go drop a 100 or 2 to have it done. I know these run a little lean stock with #125 I believe. So if anything #128 would be good right since aftermarket exhaust usually just make the lean condirtion worse. This is what I have read from all over this forum. I nice slap in my face answer would be great if you could please

It's not worth the risk. Re-jet it.

You don't need to be a carb guy to rejet. There are some things to be cautious of, but otherwise it's pretty much just hardware. I forget what carb you have, I'd go up at least a couple main jet sizes. A fuel screw adjustment and needle shim could be beneficial as well.

Try it yourself, you may surprise yourself. Otherwise, budget for someone else to do it. Or, find a buddy to help you with it.

Plenty of youtube videos showing rejetting. Watch a couple to get a sense of how easy it is.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pmtg View Post
    It's not worth the risk. Re-jet it.

You don't need to be a carb guy to rejet. There are some things to be cautious of, but otherwise it's pretty much just hardware. I forget what carb you have, I'd go up at least a couple main jet sizes. A fuel screw adjustment and needle shim could be beneficial as well.

Try it yourself, you may surprise yourself. Otherwise, budget for someone else to do it. Or, find a buddy to help you with it.

Plenty of youtube videos showing rejetting. Watch a couple to get a sense of how easy it is.

I actually just watched a few videos went out and looked at the bike. I think I can do this without taking the carb off for the main jet atleast. Where is the fule screw is it under the float bowl also? Also since I have no clue what the shim I need is or want is there anywhere besides McMsatercarr that I can order them from. I dont need 100. I do know go up one by one till its running good and go for .010 shims (correct me if Im wrong). Thanks for the insperation. Need that swift kick somtimes. Im thinking #132 now

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I applaud you for knowing how much you don't know, but you're making too much of this.

First of all, you have the new-style CV carb on your bike. This board can be a bit confusing with regard for jetting changes as some of them refer to the early slide carbs, some to the CV carb and few make the distinction between the two. If you put a 132 in a slide carb it's likely to slobber all over itself, and it may be just the ticket for the CV carb and your planned exhaust.

The physical jet replacement is pretty simple. Fine tuning it and knowing if it's right is a bit more involved, but quite doable.

You can't just arbitrarily stick the biggest main jet there is on your bike. It's a process. Fortunately it's a relatively simple process.

Have you ever done any oxy-acetylene welding? I think I can explain the process/need for rejetting by equating it with welding.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    I applaud you for knowing how much you don't know, but you're making too much of this.

First of all, you have the new-style CV carb on your bike. This board can be a bit confusing with regard for jetting changes as some of them refer to the early slide carbs, some to the CV carb and few make the distinction between the two. If you put a 132 in a slide carb it's likely to slobber all over itself, and it may be just the ticket for the CV carb and your planned exhaust.

The physical jet replacement is pretty simple. Fine tuning it and knowing if it's right is a bit more involved, but quite doable.

You can't just arbitrarily stick the biggest main jet there is on your bike. It's a process. Fortunately it's a relatively simple process.

Have you ever done any oxy-acetylene welding? I think I can explain the process/need for rejetting by equating it with welding.

Well thanks for that. Im a big forum guy learn then pass it on when I get it down myself. No I know nothing really of welding of any kind just threw a bead or 2 down once. There is alot on rejetting here. I read that my elavation (600') that either a #130 or #132 would be where to start. Then where Im still trying to figure out is the shimming and the pilot screw and idle. I have read tho that if I get the main right then I shouldnt have to mess with the other 2 needles.

Would a tunable supertrapp like I wanted in the begining be the way to go instead. Im in for a simple and just few changes just the carb part is holding me up.

I got a hardware store either number 6 or 8 lock washer and hit it flat made a fine needle shim

Ehhhh sooo much carb info

Quote Originally Posted by chevyy1212 View Post
    Ehhhh sooo much carb info

Being a beginner, I say just go with the main jet only. I know I suggested other stuff (fuel screw and needle shim) but skip those for the time being. Eventually, you can try for the fuel screw and needle shim. The hardest part will be getting the phillips screws removed that hold the float bowl on...which needs to be done to remove the main jet. A vice grips or channel locks of sorts will help with this step. Remove the float bowl squarely from the carb so not to disrupt the floats inside. Then remove the main jet (you can see another hex below the main jet, use a 10mm box end to hold that bottom hex stationary and then use an 8mm to remove the jet and re-install the new one until snug...no need to super torque it, run it in til snug then another ~1/8 turn)... (sourced from here: https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...dentification/)

It's intimidating to think about, but once you do it you'll be thankful you didn't pay someone to do it.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pmtg View Post
    Being a beginner, I say just go with the main jet only. I know I suggested other stuff (fuel screw and needle shim) but skip those for the time being. Eventually, you can try for the fuel screw and needle shim. The hardest part will be getting the phillips screws removed that hold the float bowl on...which needs to be done to remove the main jet. A vice grips or channel locks of sorts will help with this step. Remove the float bowl squarely from the carb so not to disrupt the floats inside. Then remove the main jet (you can see another hex below the main jet, use a 10mm box end to hold that bottom hex stationary and then use an 8mm to remove the jet and re-install the new one until snug...no need to super torque it, run it in til snug then another ~1/8 turn)... (sourced from here: https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...dentification/)

It's intimidating to think about, but once you do it you'll be thankful you didn't pay someone to do it.

Wow now thats a great picture to go off huge help right there. With this pic I know I can tackle this myself now so thank you. Im going to buy 3 jets. 128, 130 and 132. Start with the smallest and move up. After I get a little more familiar with it and comfortable I will go a little farther. Whenever I hit the point of adjusting more it is the pilot screw I turn out not the pilot jet itself. I know thats turned in pretty far from the factory. Did I read correctly that stock the pilot just turned in to far and most people turn it out 2 turns give or take a little and somtimes that helps even before re-jetting.

Here are all the carb photos in the tech section. Read the carb tuning guide as well.

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...750#entry19750
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links