Summary of Modifications: Carburetor and Drive Train
Close

I just bought a 2011 TW200 for my very first beginner motorcycle and am loving its forgiving nature. After reading about everyone's modifications, I'm going to get some done on my bike too, but since I'm a noob and have no idea how to purchase and install some of these parts, I'll have the dealer do it (this time). Can you guys confirm whether my list is right?

1. Change out 14 tooth front sprocket to 15 tooth sprocket.

If I do this, it sounds like what is currently second gear will become my first gear. It is a little bit difficult for me to start the bike in second gear though, and I was wondering if changing out the sprocket will make starting out in first gear just as difficult. It would be great to change it out though, because first gear is frustratingly short to me. Also, does sprocket brand matter or are they all pretty homogenous?

2. Change out 50 tooth rear sprocket to 47 (or 45) tooth sprocket. Is this in addition to the front sprocket change or do I pick one or the other?

3. Change out stock chains to DID 428 O-Ring Chain and get the 130 link package.

4. Re-jet the carburetor from default 128 to 130 (or 132.5)

5. Shim the needle .03 inches (what does this do hypothetically?)

6. Turn the air screw 2.5 turns (what does this do hypothetically?)

7. Do something to adjust pilot mixture screw?

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by peraevum View Post
    2. Change out 50 tooth rear sprocket to 47 (or 45) tooth sprocket. Is this in addition to the front sprocket change or do I pick one or the other?
    Changing the rear sprocket is easier, and cheaper, if you are paying for labor.

3. Change out stock chains to DID 428 O-Ring Chain and get the 130 link package.
    Personally, I would get a few thousand miles use out of the stock chain before I switched. You will get differing opinions on this.

...5. Shim the needle .03 inches (what does this do hypothetically?)

Karen
    It slightly raises the main fuel needle to allow more fuel through the main jet. It gives a richer fuel mixture at throttle openings above idle speed.

6. Turn the air screw 2.5 turns (what does this do hypothetically?)

7. Do something to adjust pilot mixture screw?

Karen
    The air screw and the pilot mixture screw are the same thing.

Opening it to 2.5 turns gives a richer air/fuel mixture at idle speed, making it easier to start the engine. The 2.5 turns may need to be fine tuned. It may vary because of air tempurature, humidity, altitude, etc. Mine is set at 2.25 turns.

IMO, other than opening the pilot screw 2.5 turns, I would wait on any mods until after engine break in, 600-1000 miles.

Good idea to change the engine oil between 100-200 miles on a new engine.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Thanks jb, that's helpful. So it sounds like I should not change out both sprockets, right? If I get 15 on the front, do not get 47 in the back? And it will be slightly more difficult to get going on the bike in first gear after that, similar to how starting off on second gear is now?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

So it sounds like I should not change out both sprockets, right?
    Yes, I would wait until the 14 tooth front sprocket is worn out before I would consider changing it. You can make any necessary gear ratio changes by changing the rear sprocket.

The only advantage of the 15 tooth front sprocket is marginally less chain wear because of the larger diameter of the 15 tooth sprocket.

... If I get 15 on the front, do not get 47 in the back? And it will be slightly more difficult to get going on the bike in first gear after that, similar to how starting off on second gear is now?
    Changing the front sprocket involves draining the engine oil (unless you lay the bike on its side) and removing the engine cover, and perhaps getting new sprocket bolts.

Putting on a 15 tooth front sprocket alone will give you about the same sprocket ratio (15/50) as putting on as a rear 47 tooth rear sprocket (14/47).

Start in first gear in either case.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

47/14= 3.357:1

50/15= 3.333:1

Effectively the same. Gearing changes are always` easier on a TW via the rear sprocket.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

That's some good advice jbfla. It's always better to live with the bike for awhile, as is, and then see what mods you really want and need, with the possible exception of the carb adjustments.

Sponosred Links