It's Done!!!
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: It's Done!!!

It's done. OK, it's not really DONE and never will be, but it's done in terms of what I set out to build it for.

I didn't realize it was done til I dug up one of my old posts on the old forum from '09, the day I sent a bare frame out for powdercoating:

https://tw200forum.com/forums/84983/ShowPost.aspx

I had no idea it had been that long ago. Lotta detours, destroyed parts sacrificed to the ModGods, midnight engine and wiring swaps and flawed ideas that didn't quite work out as planned. In short, it's been a blast and as a bonus I've met more good folks associated with this bike than any other I've owned. Name the genre, I've either owned or built one at some point, but I can't think of one that's held my attention to the extent that this oddball, low-tech, underpowered, ill-equipped, undersuspended redheaded-stepchild-of-a-bike has.

In reading my old post I realized that at this point I'd finally met my original objective of turning it into a bike that would take the place of my larger dualsports, would reliably carry me and all my crap, tools and gear for up to two weeks, quietly, comfortably at a leisurely "stop and smell the roses" pace, self-contained, without refueling for up to 300 miles in the dirt without seeing another living soul. I finally have my SHTF bike, and it started as a TW.

I noticed something of interest in taking inventory of my mods. I did a lot of custom fabricating here and there and a lot of it is still on the bike, but most of it was accomplished with stock parts from other bikes in the end. I paid full boat for a skidplate, handguards, some headlight brackets and fork boots. If you don't count tires, chains, sprockets and expendables this has been almost totally a "sweat equity and parts search" bike. Basically you just give it all the stuff that Yamaha shoulda given it from Day One, and yer done. Note how many of the parts came used, directly from Yamaha's non-stepchild bikes over the same years that the TW has been produced.

This evening's cursory inventory:

Powdercoated '87 frame

Up front: YZ80 fork tubes, TW lowers and springs, steel spacers, late-model disc conversion, XT350 speedo with trip meter and cable, XT600 brake line, Shinko 5.10-18 front tire, DayStar generic fork boots, Stock KLR650 bars, 1 1/4" risers, headlight cutoff mod to early TW switchgear, shortened signals relocated to bars, Garmin 60CSX in Ram GPS mount, 12V outlet/ battery tender circuit, Cycra Probend handguards

Out back: 2" extended swingarm, custom brake rod (fabricated from a Virago rod), XT500 aluminum brake arm, 26x9R14 ITP Terracross, 55/14 gearing, left snail adjuster welded to axle, reworked and relocated stock chainguard, stock shock (FINALLY tamed via the swingarm stretch).

The rest, so far:

XT350 3.2 gal. steel tank, TW/XT350 seat graft, quick-release seat pins

1978 Goldwing headlight, generic headlight brackets

Narrowed Honda ATV rear rack, Shortened rear sigs relocated to tail light housing

D2Moto doublewide cast steel pegs

Ricochet skid plate

Currently running Gen2 charging system and harness (I've had all 3 systems), backup CDI unit, upgraded headlight wiring, safety switches eliminated, upgraded KLR650 starter solenoid, Kawi EX500 horn

Spring-loaded YZ shifter, longer XT350 kickstand w/oversized foot

Lizrdventz (hi-low carb vents for water crossings)

Anyway, that's most of the hard parts and mods. I plan to go back to the late-model charging system with my new motor, ditch a little excess weight here and there (anyone wanna buy some Happy Trails pannier racks used for one honeymoon?)convert everything to L.E.D.s, lose the stock instruments and simplify the wiring harness.

THEN it'll be done.

Wait. There's the stealth exhaust I've been working on. Oh hell, I forgot about the dual sprocket setup... and rear disc brake.... aluminum ATV rear rim.

I'm skrewt for life, and all my other bikes are royally pizzed...

Before, circa '08. A realy clean stock '87 with about 800 miles on the clock. The bike taught a few people to ride and I kinda banged on it stock for a few months while I planned the build, then blew it apart:

Not much remains of the original bike but its frame and paperwork. Powdercoated the original frame then built from there. Meanwhile we also bought a few more TW's, one of which became the basis for Purple's bike. Back then it was pretty easy to determine exactly what form the bike would eventually take. Guys like Gizmow, Ronnydog, Macbig and others were right in the middle of pioneering things like big tanks, stretched swingarms, ATV tires, dual sprockets, and most of the mods we kinda take for granted now. I just swiped a lot of their hard work, added a ton of my own, fired up the welder and a couple weeks later it looked more or less like this (minus the long swingarm, seat graft and a couple of other things). It's been an ongoing, rideable project ever since:

Obligatory "glamor shots":

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

You forgot the kitchen sink
    Dubzha likes this.
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Good looking machine, but no gun rack yet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Ship View Post
    Good looking machine, but no gun rack yet.

Early pre-extended swingarm pic:

Sand foot:

Left snail welded to axle:

Alloy TT500 brake arm. My first ATV tire was this Bighorn2. I now run a Terracross. No preference, both work like a mad dog:

"THE RACK!!". One of my very first mods, and the most useful:

Backup CDI unit now occupies the spot where the O.E.M. toolkit used to sit:

Big headlight, pilfered from an early Goldwing. Longer fork tubes from an early YZ80 shown here slipped up in the triples:

Shortened and relocated sigs:

"lizrdventz". Hi-low carb vents for water crossings:

r80rt, littletommy and badcat like this.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Verrry nice! I've been looking forward to seeing what it looked like with the 2" stretch and the Terracross. I'm also looking forward to a double sprocket. I did some technical riding lately, and while the TW did OK it sure would be nice to have the extra grunt to allow idling up the ruff stuff. Thanks for sharing all the cool mods. I'm going to shorten up my rear signals too, I'll have to look that one up. I remember seeing that description around here somewhere.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

All that stuff and you still have the low front fender....

what went on easier..terracross or bighorn?
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Nice.

Bighorn. Lot more flexible, easier to manipulate the spoons and get the tube in. Silent.

Seating pressure was about the same, but took a day longer. 70 PSI, 2 days.

Verdict's not in yet as to which works better. Only been to the parts store for swingarm grease. Seems a bit noisy.

My low fender is fine. I gots longer legs on mine. No smackysmacky or muddy motor for me.

I'm gunna put big, honkin' mudflaps on both ends too, just to pizz you off.

EX500 horn, modified bracket for a few more dB:

Shinko SR244. "Discovered" this tire by accident when the D606's on my KLR died in Moab. Figgered they'd work well on the front of a TW. It appears most everyone now agrees:

A single fuse covers Battery Tender pigtail and 12V outlet, one connection:

Before and afters showing ATV tire pushed all the way forward in stock and extended swingarms:

r80rt and littletommy like this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I've alway liked the paint job. Or vinyl wrap, whatever you used I like it. Didn't want to be a copycat so my is sand colored instead. Lots of hard and/or long hours went into yours, and I'm pretty sure you've inspired many on the forum.

Thanks
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Suuuurrreee it's done

Looks good for a "oddball, low-tech, underpowered, ill-equipped, undersuspended redheaded-stepchild-of-a-bike"
    1987 TW200 - Work in Progress

1995 TW200 - Blaster Shock

2007 DRZ400sm - Stock

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links