Ok so i threw on a banshee shock today
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    After reading up several pages on the rear shock i decided the banshee shock would be my best bet. Blaster would be too high...and i had access to a banshee shock from a friend. Actually a blaster too, which its spring might come in handy. The install was pretty simple. Took the exhaust off to slide it in there. Made a few slight grinds to the swing arm for extra clearance and it looked like it was made for the bike.

I have read up on how the spring is too soft, and after plumping my ass down on the seat for the first time i was already agreeing with that. it REALLY lowered the tw. So i cranked up the preload till i ran out of threads. A little better...i didnt think to measure it but id guess 4-5 inches of sag when i sit on it. A lot more than a stock tw shock..i hopped on my friends tw that was next to mine for a quick butt comparison. Next we played with compression and found all the way hard was the best setting. I was just pushing down on the back of the bike and comparing the settings....next was the preload. Slow was...well..it took an hour to come back up. Fast probably could of launched a molotive cocktail into the neighbors yard. Slowed that down quite a bit to try and match the tw's stock rebound.

I took it home..rode it around a bit and went up my driveway curb and bottomed the rear shock out in second gear...im probably not going to be happy with it off road, or maybe im just jumping the gun. I also dont pack lightly and have a good 25-30lbs in my rear bag too. Im under the impression that with me sitting on it plus my gear ive already used up h alf of the shocks travel and wont do me any good if im constantly bottoming out.

So based on the bike being real squishy and loosing quite a bit with my just sitting on it...what's my next step? Probably a stiffer spring and back it off on the pre load? I do have a blaster spring i can throw on there...
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Leave it alone for now if you're gunna stretch it. No matter what you come up with you'll have to do it all over again with the stretch, anyway.

The Banshee's a fairly decent shock but once you get a stiff enough spring on it it tends to overpower the rebound adjustment.

I got it to work fairly well with an XT600 spring, but like I said that all goes out the window with a stretch.

The Blaster shock will give you a nosebleed. Lifts the rear on the order of 5".

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

bah are you kidding me...so throw the stock shock back on for now?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You need to swap the spring. I ran the banshee shock and stock spring for about 15 minutes off road, before I wanted to unload a clip from my G17 into it. Instead of spending the money on a progressive custom spring (may still, but too many projects competing for $), I used a v-star spring and built a spacer. With an extended swingarm that combo really came alive. I've heard that a raptor 700 spring is stiffer than a banshee, but haven't found one that was cheap enough to gamble on.

josh
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

Ok now im not doubting my self..thanks josh. Anybody gone with a blaster spring? Id rather use all spring rather than a spacer

There ya go. Josh rides his pretty hard, so there's one way to go. Ronny's got 70 pounds on me and runs the stocker with a stretch, but it does slam occasionally.

The stocker softens up a bunch and starts to work right with a stretch. Might surprise you.

I've got springs coming out my ears from all that. Let me know before you run out and buy one.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Maybe im wrong...but with an extended swing arm thatd put more leverage on the shock..and if the tw stock shock isnt meeting my needs with a stock swing arm i think putting more leverage on it would make it worse. Maybe im just use to my rzr that is dialed in perfect with elkas.

Meeting your needs how?

If it isn't pogo-ing long before it bottoms, it's probably sacked out. Stock springs in good shape are usually too STIFF for guys our size, not too soft. If it's bottoming, it's toast.

You have 3 compression settings. They don't do a lot, but you can change the stocker a little.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Tends to pogo and bottom out more than it should. I tend to ride a little more on the aggressive side so im wanting more. I know its no MX bike but id like it a little more dialed in for my riding. Its only a 2008 shock too

I dunno. The extra`weight of our tires are a pretty big factor in the equation, as well.

Gunna take some sciencing out. Not many of us are running stretches, even fewer with stretches and 10 extra pounds of tire to control.

Let me know what you come up with so I can steal it.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links