Counter-shaft Sprocket Coverectomy
Close

My new old 2001 has a mangled counter-shaft sprocket cover.

I want to change the 14 tooth sprocket to a 15. I'm thinking about taking my angle grinder with a cut off wheel to the cover. That would remove the offending bit and allow access in the future for easier sprocket swapping, killing two birds with one grinder you might say.

Where is my thinking flawed? Will the sprocket eat my jeans? I noticed even the hollow mod TWs with no chain guards do not expose the counter-shaft sprocket. Thought I should run it by the cognoscenti before I do harm.
    2001 TW200 adopted January 2012. 2001 Moto Guzzi California EV acquired June 2012. Ex-rides: Hidden Content , Hidden Content that I rode 67,000 miles in six years and had many Hidden Content , 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special, Yamaha XT 500, 1969 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro purchased new that started it all and a Honda 90 and 110 ATV, an Indian Mini Buffalo (a 50cc Italjet) and a couple of other dirt bikes.

I think Mr. Gizmow did that.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Keep it minimal. There's an oil passage and a bearing in the cover.

You wanted someone to stop you, no?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The countershaft sprocket cover cannot be removed because it houses a bearing that supports the outboard end of the countershaft. Any mod that will allow removing the sprocket without removing the cover will remove the bearing, causing bad things to happen to the countershaft, trans, and engine cases.

Grind it smooth inside and out and call it good.

In the immortal words of Gilda Radner's character

on Saturday Night Live, Emily Litella,

"Oh. That's very different. Never Mind"

Thanks, you guys.
    2001 TW200 adopted January 2012. 2001 Moto Guzzi California EV acquired June 2012. Ex-rides: Hidden Content , Hidden Content that I rode 67,000 miles in six years and had many Hidden Content , 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special, Yamaha XT 500, 1969 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro purchased new that started it all and a Honda 90 and 110 ATV, an Indian Mini Buffalo (a 50cc Italjet) and a couple of other dirt bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    The countershaft sprocket cover cannot be removed because it houses a bearing that supports the outboard end of the countershaft. Any mod that will allow removing the sprocket without removing the cover will remove the bearing, causing bad things to happen to the countershaft, trans, and engine cases.
    While the subject is up....I just ordered the side case gasket so I can change the sprocket. Is there something that I missed and should have ordered? TIA Gary
    "It's more fun going fast on a slow bike than going slow on a fast bike" UK

1994 TW200, 2009 F800GS loaded,

Given my experience, I am inclined to say you can trim away what is damaged, just don't roll over the edge and begin cutting the face of the case. What I think is a better idea would be to carefully tap the 'flaps' downward to present you with a depression. Clean the case area top and the underside facing the chain so that it's free of oil and dirt. Rough up the area with a bit of sandpaper, don't scratch up the area much beyond what is damaged. Use some JB weld putty to fill in and sand to restore original contour. Carefully spray that section of the case with some paint and you will be back to looking good. As was mentioned, that case section can not be trimmed to make sprocket removal any easier. I trimmed my case so I can watch the chain move from one primary sprocket to the other when I switch ratios. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

Hey look we're twins

2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

I run o-ring chains so replace the countershaft seals each countershaft sprocket change. Seems that the seals wear out almost as fast than an o-ring chain, and if I don't change them, I'll be pulling the cover again shortly after installing the countershaft. Both seals together cost about $9, so the added expense is worth the reduced maintenance down the road.

Sponosred Links