My First Build on a 07
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hello Everyone!

I wanted to share my very first custom build on here as well as get some advise and help from everyone. I'm a pretty handy guy and this will be my first total teardown and rebuild. Something I've been wanting to do for quite some time now. I've been following this site for years even before the switch, mostly just reading and didn't post much. So I wanted to thank every one for all the great posts and info on here, it really inspired me to do my own build.

Shall we begin?

My bike before the teardown had some simple mods: 14-47 sprockets, bigger main jet, shimmed needle, FMF, and everything else stock. I am going to do a hybrid of sorts for my build and am looking to go for something of a hollow moddy / off road mix up. I'd also like to gain some performance, with out going over the top. Perhaps a WEB cam and some new springs? Also upgrade the clutch, and air box complete with a K&N just like a hollow modded bike. I plan on going slowly and just taking it step by step and see how she ends up...

So far she's pretty much all disassembled.

Check out the frame and head with the valves. Looks like it was running really lean to me....

Any Thoughts?

IMG_0858 by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

IMG_0860 by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

IMG_0864 by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

I'll keep posting up here as I make progress.

Woo Hoo!
    "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a motorcycle"

Hello ToddyG,

I am essentially doing the same thing as we speak. I am a total novice, so I am trying to fly by the seat of my pants. Anyway, tell me about those stands you're using to hold the TW up? From what I can gather so far, it looks impossible to do a build up without something similar...

-DCTW

Hey DC,

Thats great that you're doing the same thing! The stands are automotive jack stands I picked up at harbor freight last summer. Honestly they have really come in handy, and cost just a few bucks.
    "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a motorcycle"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Made a bunch of headway this afternoon:

I was able to get the engine out of the frame and begin to disassemble it up on the work bench, exposing the stator and clutch, which is one of my main concerns. The clutch on my TW after the gear change and jet/pipe combo slipped like a hot teflon buttered pan, so I am planning on replacing it with barnett clutch plates and springs to chinch out the problem. I also was able to grind off all the extra tabs to make for a cleaner look after I get the frame powder coated. The swing arm and front forks poped right off as should and it really made me start to think about some nice suspension upgrades. All the possibilities, limitless in the minds eye, until time and money pop into the equation.... SO for now I'll put it on the back burner and focus on the task at hand. Pick'd up a nice Athena gasket kit off of EBAY for the rebuild.

So far so good.

IMG_0902 by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

IMG_0903 by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

IMG_0905 by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

IMG_0906 by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

Here is a screenshot of the clutch plates I'm planning on using, complete with part numbers.

I got the idea from someone on here long ago and took a screenshot of just the part numbers, and can't seem to find the thread and were it was originally located? Thanks of the hook up TW forum!

So who is running these? How are they holding up?

Screen Shot 2012-02-07 at 7.46.16 PM by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

This is awesome!!! I hope one day to buy a second TDub (a beater) to tear down since I would kill it.

Please post everything!

Thank you,

Adam

Hey Adam!

I'm stoked as well.

It's funny I ended up getting a 1990 beater to build up and ended up doing the build on my 07.. What the? Wait a minet......

Kinda funny.

Honestly I realized I would rather build up the one with disk break, newer style TK carb, etc.....

Will post some more progress soon!

I want to share some inspirational photos of some TW builds and bikes that I like. I do release I should have started this thread with these pictures but, if feel it's ok to add it in now. Right?

Please take a look and tell me what you think!

_cfimg5387315715284688629 by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

4645440418_6cc017a5c3 by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

1987-yamaha-tw200-9w by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

yamaha450lg9wp by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

yamaha_xs650_street_tracker by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

DSCN6731 (Medium) by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

I like that first Japanese street style bike with the hollow look and that last bike with the white plastics.... But they are completely different and would have different uses

What kind of riding are you planning on using your TW for? You might have to get a second TW so you can have both
    1987 TW200 - Work in Progress

1995 TW200 - Blaster Shock

2007 DRZ400sm - Stock

Tee Dubs,

You're right! All the bikes pictured are for different types of riding. And to provide more detail info, let me explane what and why I like each of these pics and perhaps how it can relate to my own build.

In order of each pic:

1. I really like the color scheme. The black rims with the silver/metal spokes. The overall black theme with the tank being a more of a accent piece, being white with the red TW in bold really popping out. SO I guess this one is more inspirational in the form of style.

2. This one solely for the use of the honda rukus head light with guard. I'd like to do the same on my build or something similar.

3. The plastics on this one really stand out to me, although I am not a fan of the tank shroud. I do however really like the rear fender, and how it exposes more of the exhaust system. And of course, you can't leave out the lifted front fender.

4. On this one the pure simplicity is very appealing, less is more. Engine, Frame, Wheels, Controls, Go! Form and Function.

5. On this 650 street tracker, I really LOVE the inverted forks, and dual disks... I'm tooling around and drafting my current trees so I can fully undertand them, and then making a new set for the YZ80 forks I just picked up.

6. Lastly, this build seems well executed, and thorough. To many times I've seen great bikes that are kinda half way there, or parts missing, or not enough. This build seem to be complete. A vision fully executed. A quality I'd like to demonstrate in my first build..

So all in all, its really a mix of all different characteristics from all types of machines that I'd like to translate into my own work...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links