"Ram Air Mod"?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Ram Air Mod"?

In the old forum, there was a post about a "Ram Air Mod" by Babaganoush.

https://tw200forum.com/forums/17698/ShowPost.aspx

Unfortunately, none of the photos are still available showing the mod. Does anyone here remember the details, or has anyone tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by RingSteel View Post
    In the old forum, there was a post about a "Ram Air Mod" by Babaganoush.

https://tw200forum.com/forums/17698/ShowPost.aspx

Unfortunately, none of the photos are still available showing the mod. Does anyone here remember the details, or has anyone tried it?

I always wanted to try a ram air style intake, but never did. His description is pretty good on how to make it. The swiss cheesing of the airbox is a common mod that can be found, then he added a homemade scoop to that with parts he found at the local hardware store. Swiss cheesing is common, scoops are not...you're gonna have to get creative.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Go to the 5th picture down in this thread (https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...rger-gas-tank/), it will show you the holes in the airbox of ronnydog's bike. Same picture is below...

The cosmetic fender piece will cover the top half (small holes), but the 2 larger filters you see are still exposed after the fender is installed. You need to come up with some sort of scoop to go over them to catch oncoming air.

Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I may be wrong, but I think he made his scoop by cutting a section of larger ID pvc or abs pipe. Cut at an angle would form a scoop then epoxy some studs for attachment. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Sounds like it hasn't exactly taken off as a "big improvement" kind of mod.

Maybe I'll tackle other mods first.

"Car Ram-Rod"?
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Should you think it is a viable idea, you can try it out and let us all know. If you want to play with 'forced' air intake, you may play with this a bit more. 82cfm bilge fan plumbed into the intake, controlled by a pluse modulator and activated by a mercury switch on the throttle cam. Put in place to help deal with lean running at elevation. Since I have not got higher than 6,000 ft. I generally use it to stall the engine when I accidently flip the switch and turn it on.

Remember, a good forum is all about contribution...... Work out a problem, post the solution. Have a fun ride, share some pictures. Got a great idea or mod, show us what you did and tell us how it worked. Just saying. Gerry

Unless you pressurize

Tank, and carb

off the pressured airbox

gas will stop flowing

Califonia model would make it easy

I really don't think you can get any real pressure increase. You would need like 5 psi to make her altitude resistant

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Unless you pressurize

Tank, and carb

off the pressured airbox

gas will stop flowing

Califonia model would make it easy

I really don't think you can get any real pressure increase. You would need like 5 psi to make her altitude resistant

The original question was about air intake scoops. This to me suggests one is trying to push a little more air into the carb. I realize more air will likely mandate more gas or the engine will run lean. The original poster of the intake scoops 'felt' the bike ran a bit better with there being a bit of 'extra' air available when the throttle was opened, he did nothing to pressurize the tank. What I (think) did was mechanically produce a bit more air to be available for the engine to use in "thin air" situations. It was not an objective to completely solve the problem, just an experiment to minimize the impact of running lean at higher altitudes. Seems the bike will run at 12,000 ft. My thought was that it might run a bit better given the $85 I spent. Maybe, maybe not. In any event if you don't try, you will never know. After many years of doing this 'goofy' stuff, I have found that most folks say "it won't work". My experience is, most of the time it does. If you are willing to spend more time and money it would likely work great. Most of the time, it works fine for my needs. Thanks.... Gerry

It will work but the differential of gas gravity feed will be overcome by a small pressure differetial

There is an overflow for carb and tank if they are ported to the high pressure area then

normalcy will return is all

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links