GPS?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS?

I am thinking about getting a GPS for my bike but i don't know what options are out there for riding dirt roads/country roads. anyone have any advise? I would like to get something where I can type in/choose a location to get somewhere and also one that will show where I have been. Any of the veterans out there have any pointers?

DesertRat

I haven't gotten to read through this yet myself but I would be willing to bet they have a lot of info the these and related forums about GPS.

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75
    -Szj

2001 TW

I dont have any experience with them but most of the guys who i have ridden with that had them use the garmin 60csx. The nicest one ive seen is a 276??? Go to bigdogadventures and check his out his bike stable pics. He showed it to me on a ride last fall and it was a really nice setup.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

smart phones have all that jazz these days.. just throwing it out there!

GPS topics can get mindboggling.

Couple of things I can suggest to look for:

1) Large and color screen, better when to view maps. Non colored GPS is hard to see the relief lines etc.

2) Get one with an external SD or MicroSD card slot, or very very large internal memory.

My GPS is not color and has a small screen. Good for hiking, but not trying to look at while reading. Maps that is. Other functions like compass and nav date pages are fine not being in color and can be seen while riding.

Also, my GPS has a fixed internal memory. When downloading Topo maps for off road/trail riding, I can only load part of the state map data. Friend has a external SD micro card version of the type GPS I have, and I could load the entire state on his SD card. Way better.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Garmin 276c is the one i was talking about. It has a big colored screen that is very easy to see.

I use a handheld unit. Delorme Earthmate PN-60. It's waterproof, shockproof, full featured, runs off a pair of AA batteries (alkaline, lithium, rechargeables, any type) or 12V cord or AC cord. I have it mounted w/ a RAM mount. I use it on all my bikes, moto or peddle, kayaking, hiking, skiing, geocaching, etc... Has topo (military grade topo), street, nautical, satellite maps... Delorme has the best maps in the industry... Mine has 3.5GB on internal memory (up to 16GB now available), has standard SD card slot, you can add another 32GB of memory using an SD card.

Link to DeLorme: http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...?section=10460
    KJ

2008 Yamaha TW200

2011 Kawasaki Versys

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV

2013 Honda CRF250L

well, thank you everyone! i started doing the research on a couple of units. im actually surprised at what they can do now. they have cameras and all sorts of little gizmos. it's kind of like a gps version of the swiss army knife, complete with a wine bottle opener...

admiral,

i have seen a number of your video clips. im especially impressed with your snow chain video. i would have never of guessed that a tw would handle so well with chains. impressive sir! and i love how you got your dog to ride with you. thats awesome!

DesertRat

Garmin 76CX - Does tracks and routs. $150 new at West Marine.

I have and use one it works great. I think they come with a 100 meg memory card but a much larger card can be used.

I have a 2 Gig and I think you can even use much bigger than that.

The included maps are worthless. They only have the major roads on them. You need to buy City Navigator for about $80.

Mounts nicely, is waterproof and runs about 24 hrs on 2 AA bats.

The color screen works great in bright sun light. The unit has a back light but outside in any kind of daylight I have never needed to use the back light.

Back light works great in the evening but does shorten battery life.

The display looks small but I find it perfect for use.

The Garmin 76 series use the same software as the 60 series. Very well thought out software.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links