Yamaha TW125
Close

Thread: Yamaha TW125

Hi All,

I found this site by accident a couple of months ago and when I saw the TW I wanted one for myself.

I'm from Belgium and unfortunately it is almost impossible to buy a TW200 over here in Europe because they were never imported.

I really wanted to make a custom TW so I had no other option than to buy a TW125. I must confess, it rides lovely, perfect for cruising

the town. A little bit to slow to get on the highway but for a sunday cruise on state roads it is divine

I have allready started chopping and customizing it. Round headlight, drag pipe, change the tail and taillight, new winkers on the way.

When it is done, I will try to post some pices of it.

The only problem I have is that I have no knowledge what so ever on the technical side. Bolting stuff on and off is no problem for every human

with 2 hands but when it comes to knowledge of engines I'm a total newb.

My question is the following : I'm thinking about buying a Mikuni VM26 carb for on the bike. The factory carb and choke are not really giving me confidence.

The bike does not start properly, It is allways a hussle. The engine plug is a little bit white and when I looked that up on the net I found out that

I have to adjust the carb to get it straight. I do not know how to do that and I have also no jets available for that carb.

So I heard around and I was told that a Mikuni VM26 is a good carb for the TW with a better choke system and also an air screw on the carb to get perfect mixture.

Now, first of all, is this info correct ?

Second : I can get a Mikuni VM26 new for a fair price and I also get a box of jets with that. But can someone tell me what are good jet sizes for the TW125 ?

Is it possible for me without knowledge to adjust the carb for perfect mixture or am I better of to let it be done by a dealer ?

Thx allready

Havoc

Your just trading in one problem for another. You need to just order a jet kit and do the duty of tuning the carb. No one can tell you what jet to get. Everyone lives in different enviroments. Altitutde,humidity modifications. If you put pipes on I get your running too lean so you have to go up on your jets. You just have to take off the carb put in one step bigger jet put it back together adjust the mixture. Run it for a little check the plug. Do this over and over going up just one jet size up until you get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by RisingSun View Post
    Your just trading in one problem for another. You need to just order a jet kit and do the duty of tuning the carb. No one can tell you what jet to get. Everyone lives in different enviroments. Altitutde,humidity modifications. If you put pipes on I get your running too lean so you have to go up on your jets. You just have to take off the carb put in one step bigger jet put it back together adjust the mixture. Run it for a little check the plug. Do this over and over going up just one jet size up until you get it right.

Ok - So I need to order a jet kit for the factory carb. I think I will use the Mikuni with the jetkit. Thx for this info. I did not know it depends on the environment.

So that is the main jet you mean ? I just install the carb, testdrive it, check the colour of the sparkplug. When white, go up in jet, when black, go down in jet untill I get coffee brown on the plug.

thx Mr.Sun

grtz

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hi Havoc,

the color from the spark plug is the average from your carb setup.

In the most cases you can feel the differences between the different mainjets.

Please download the mikuni manual and take some time to read the text and to understand the different charts (changing mainjet, needle jet....)

Download Mikuni Manual

Regards, Sebastian

TW-Parts.com

Germany

Quote Originally Posted by macbig2k1 View Post
    Hi Havoc,

the color from the spark plug is the average from your carb setup.

In the most cases you can feel the differences between the different mainjets.

Please download the mikuni manual and take some time to read the text and to understand the different charts (changing mainjet, needle jet....)

Download Mikuni Manual

Regards, Sebastian

TW-Parts.com

Germany

Thx Sebastian

Will do so.

Grtz

Sebastian is right, you can feel differences in carb tuning adjustments. Begin with a full engine tune and service to make sure no other problem exists. Make a change, if helps, make another change in the same direction. If it hurts, make a change in the other direction. It takes time and patience, but it works, and the cost is less than a "jet kit." Most people have bad experiences with jet kits for TWs. Read more here.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Sebastian is right, you can feel differences in carb tuning adjustments. Begin with a full engine tune and service to make sure no other problem exists. Make a change, if helps, make another change in the same direction. If it hurts, make a change in the other direction. It takes time and patience, but it works, and the cost is less than a "jet kit." Most people have bad experiences with jet kits for TWs. Read more here.

Thx Querty,

I have put a picture of the bike on the forum

Gonna take my time to sort everything out and make good choices. I have a tendency to buy stuff that afterwards is not what I needed so I'm gonna put myself on hold now and start to read and learn.

Sponosred Links