In search of a quiet exhaust
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My new old TW has a surprisingly loud exhaust. Other than rust on the header, it seems to be in good condition. Short of buying a KTM Freedom E, is there a way to quiet down the existing exhaust? I'm scaring the cows.
    2001 TW200 adopted January 2012. 2001 Moto Guzzi California EV acquired June 2012. Ex-rides: Hidden Content , Hidden Content that I rode 67,000 miles in six years and had many Hidden Content , 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special, Yamaha XT 500, 1969 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro purchased new that started it all and a Honda 90 and 110 ATV, an Indian Mini Buffalo (a 50cc Italjet) and a couple of other dirt bikes.

Check your spark arrestor (sometimes easier said than done because the retaining screw nearly always has to be drilled out) first). There isn't much else inside the stock muffler that can become dislodged or broken. THe "baffling" consists of a welded inner sleeve with a nosecone and unless it rots through it's pretty much permanent.

On older bikes or bikes that have run too lean the outer screen tends to rot or burn off the spark arrestor (loud), the holes become enlarged (louder) or the inner portion drops or rots off alltogether (I can't hear you!).

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I don't think you can do it but probaly needs to be repacked.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

There is no packing in a TW muffler. It's a purely mechanical welded assembly and normally very quiet. Short of a complete rotting out of the center tube (or some dink boring the nosecap full of holes) the only thing that can go wrong with it in terms of noise is the spark arrestor.

In either case you'll first need to get the end cap bolt off the muffler to make a determination.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    My new old TW has a surprisingly loud exhaust. Other than rust on the header, it seems to be in good condition. Short of buying a KTM Freedom E, is there a way to quiet down the existing exhaust? I'm scaring the cows.

I added a small two stroke muffler to the tailpipe.

Check out the "silent rider" atv silencer.

I made a silencer out of a bunch of hardware store stuff. It has been on the bike for a few years and it seems real quiet. To proceed with the project you will need a welder. Not sure of the heat that far back, but maybe some copper pipe a propane torch and some higher temp solder. I have a few videos on You Tube. Check them out and listen to the bike to see if a do-it-yourself project would merit the effort.

Take care my Friend.........

mrgizmo,

Looks nice.

What are your Youtube videos titled? I can't seem to find any on tw200 modified exhaust.

Thanks

E

I did my exhaust mod before I started making videos. All of my videos have sound, so what you hear is the bike running thru the silencer. So, if my bike sounds quiet to you, a home made silencer might merit the effort.. If you don't think there is any difference then I would'nt bother. I ride slow so that may skew how the engine sounds. Gerry

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgizmow?feature=guide
    Take care my Friend.........

Gerry,

Thank you for the link. Sounds pretty good. I also ride slow and would like to make my bikes even quieter if I can without robbing or restricting power. Did you notice any richening or leaning at the spark plug?

Good job!

E

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links